Author Topic: Well, you asked if the P-10S could handle 147gr loads... image HEAVY  (Read 1882 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Actually, I hadn't tried them, or 115gr ammo in the P-10S, so, having recieved some in the reloading fit from Heaven, among with new powders, i decided to put some testers together
So late in the afternoon, when it's just me and one brass rat on the entire range, I had some testers set of bullets and powders.

So, I started with an established powder and a new bullet, Remington 115gr FMJ. Note, these are the only ones fired standing - the rest were braced due to the winds picking up enough to blow the gun around in my hands.

Hmm. Well, OK.

Next. This begins the gift loads - everything in this, bullet, case, primer and powder, were all from that estate sale dump;

First target picture didn't come out - the taped off ones are it.

[Mods corrected title]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 09:31:50 AM by Wobbly »

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
B, b, but you said 147 grainers...

Yes I did - getting there, first the rest of the 124s. Patience, weed whacker.

Last 124 load for now.

And RIGHT out of the gate this underpowered load gave me a double feed, first legit Class 3 malfunction I've seen in years. Looking at the data when I loaded it I suspected 5 grains might be a bit light...

But I will get through them. Note - that was the only malf for this load.

Ok NOW the 147s...and my first big you-gotta-be-kidding-me.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 12:51:37 AM by armoredman »

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
I have never loaded 147s, and I used the old rule of thumb - drop 10% from the top load and start there. Well, someone forgot to tell ol' 700X that is how it works...

Geez, these look off...

And...*pop*... Not enough oomph to run the slide. I managed to get all ten rounds down the pipe but to be honest, that first target I wasn't really paying attention toe shooting, more to running the slide. I had so many FTF, FTE, I wasn't sure if it was the bullet profile, too.

Last chance last load.

At last - perfect functioning. It's not the bullet, it's the dadgum short powder supply!

I think I will explore the Unique load while the 147s last.

But at the last, I had to see, was it me?

Yeah, sort of, it was.
In all honesty, this is NOT a target pistol and I should not expect target results, and no matter what, it was fun. I also fully trust this sidearm with duty loads. I 100% believe all malfs were ammo caused. And I learned that the 147s will cycle just fine IF I do my part and put enough BOOM behind them!

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

I have used Unique in 9mm with very good results in the past.I still use it for revolver rounds today. 700X on the other hand I have found to be miserable in handguns and best left to the shotgun guys. I have never gotten a consistent charge of 700X from any measure other than the charge bushings on my shotshell machine.

Offline Litomysl94

OK, so question, and hopefully this is a good thread to post it on.  I gave in, and bought the P-10C rather than wait for the "S" (size difference was neglible when I compared the two side-by-side in the CZUB shop in Prague).  I usually use S&B 115 gr., but have considered buying bulk S&B 124 gr. (1000 rounds).  Do you guys know of any reason why I wouldn't want to run 124 gr. through the P-10C pretty much continually?

Offline painter

OK, so question, and hopefully this is a good thread to post it on.  I gave in, and bought the P-10C rather than wait for the "S" (size difference was neglible when I compared the two side-by-side in the CZUB shop in Prague).  I usually use S&B 115 gr., but have considered buying bulk S&B 124 gr. (1000 rounds).  Do you guys know of any reason why I wouldn't want to run 124 gr. through the P-10C pretty much continually?
There's no reason not to use 124 gr ammo over 115 gr. Some feel the barrel twist of a CZ is more suited to 124 gr.

With standard loaded ammo, ie not +P, or Nato, bullet weight has no effect on wear, or longevity.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

holidaypf

Interesting range results!

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Veery Interesting!  8)

I had some luck with 700x in my early 9mm 124 grain Cast Bullet loads, generally running about 3.3 grains, in my old WWII AC Code Walther P-38.
Later on, I found that the only reason they worked was that the Recoil Springs in that old War Horse were seriously worn.
I did have some luck with 700x with Cast Bullet Loads in the .45 ACP.  Later on, I had much better luck with Alliant/Hercules Red Dot and NEVER went back to 700x.

Back when I did a lot of experimenting with 9mm 147 grain Bullets, I had really good luck with Unique, HS-6/W540, and Blue Dot.
HS-6/W540 being my all time favorite for that Bullet Weight, but I would not hesitate to use Unique if I had it on hand.
Generally, I kept my 147 grain loads to velocities in the 950 fps range.

These days, I generally stick with the 124 grain Bullet Weight in 9mm, but I have been interested in some of the newer 135 grain loadings.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Glad it's useful. :) That 700X is a huge pain to meter, had to hand measure into the scale pan for each load. That will be delegated to my last ditch, everything else is gone powder. I will work up some loads with it and my usual standby cast bullets, just in case.
I've been using 124 grain cast bullets almost exclusively for years, and if you watch any of my videos, you can see me use it and what results I consistently get with 6.5 grains of Accurate #7.  8)

Offline J Lee

Re: Well, you asked if the P-10S could handle 147gr loads... image HEAVY
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 02:56:27 PM »
I only use 700x for 45acp.  Lower pressure in .45 loads gives more room for metering error but works great for me in 45, 230gr. and 200gr SWC loads.  WSF is the magic powder for 147gr 9mm.
James

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: Well, you asked if the P-10S could handle 147gr loads... image HEAVY
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 03:38:40 AM »
I have everything but dies and a mold to start doing 45 ACP...and, of course, a firearm IN that caliber. :D But over time I have managed to acquire darn near everything else!

anything