Author Topic: Truglo TFX pro or Dawson Precision tritium night sights?  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Robbtheslobb

Truglo TFX pro or Dawson Precision tritium night sights?
« on: May 10, 2019, 09:57:55 AM »
i plan on ordering some night sights for my CZ P-01 today. Im torn between the Truglo TFXs and the Dawson Precision Tritiums. Can anyone add their opinions? Easy of install? Pros and Cons of each sight? Brightness? Im not finding many reviews, with these being some of the very few options Im sure some of you great people have opinions. Thank you!

Offline anonymouscuban

Re: Truglo TFX pro or Dawson Precision tritium night sights?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 10:23:50 AM »
I can only speak to the truglo. I have dawson sights on my other guns but competition not night sights.

Here are a few pics of the truglo on my PCR I just took. Gives you an idea of brightness. It's not that dark in my room right now and yet I can see the sights well. They are also very bright in daylight because they have fiber optic as well.

Fitment and construction is nice. They are very robust sights. Both front and back. They look like they will take a lot of abuse from handling, drawing from a holster, etc and wear well. I like that the sights have rounded edges so very snag resistant.

The sight picture is nice for what they are... defensive sights. The front sight is too wide for precision shooting but you shouldn't be buying night sights in the first place if that's your intent. It's a combat sight picture on my PCR so put the dots on where you want the bullet to hit and that's where it hits. These are NOT a 6-o'clock hold sight picture. Again, combat sight picture.

Install was no easier or harder than any other sight I've installed on CZs. A little bit of removing material from the dovetail to match my gun and then a few taps from a punch to the front and sight pusher tool on the rear and good to go.

Sorry for the blurry pics.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Robbtheslobb

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 10:30:03 AM »
I can only speak to the truglo. I have dawson sights on my other guns but competition not night sights.

Here are a few pics of the truglo on my PCR I just took. Gives you an idea of brightness. It's not that dark in my room right now and yet I can see the sights well. They are also very bright in daylight because they have fiber optic as well.

Fitment and construction is nice. They are very robust sights. Both front and back. They look like they will take a lot of abuse from handling, drawing from a holster, etc and wear well. I like that the sights have rounded edges so very snag resistant.

The sight picture is nice for what they are... defensive sights. The front sight is too wide for precision shooting but you shouldn't be buying night sights in the first place if that's your intent. It's a combat sight picture on my PCR so put the dots on where you want the bullet to hit and that's where it hits. These are NOT a 6-o'clock hold sight picture. Again, combat sight picture.

Install was no easier or harder than any other sight I've installed on CZs. A little bit of removing material from the dovetail to match my gun and then a few taps from a punch to the front and sight pusher tool on the rear and good to go.

Thanks for the response. They are infact very bright. The only bad reviews ive read is that the rear sight is a little high. Have you noticed that they shoot low compared to the stock sights?

Offline anonymouscuban

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 10:41:33 AM »

Thanks for the response. They are infact very bright. The only bad reviews ive read is that the rear sight is a little high. Have you noticed that they shoot low compared to the stock sights?
The rear sight is high in relation the the front? Or it just sticks up too much?

I don't find it high in either case. As I mentioned, the sights shoot true with a combat sight picture.

The thing about fixed sights is that POA and POI can differ on the same gun/same sights due to the ammo you're shooting. Do these people that complain about the sights shooting high mention the ammo they're using?

Give you an example... my SP-01. If I shoot 115gr bullet, my front sight is .170 to hit where I'm aiming at 25 yards. However, with the same rear and front, the 147gr bullet with a soft load I used for competition hits about 6" high. Same sights. I use a .215 front sight with the same rear sight when shooting the heavy 147gr bullet.

The heavier the bullet, the slower it exits the barrel. When it does exit, the muzzle is a bit higher from recoil.

Hope this helps and I apologize if you know all this. I just find that sights are often debated and misunderstood. I added for the benefit of others reading that may not know.

Offline eastman

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 09:17:32 PM »
Have versions of each. As a pure night sight, the Dawson will probably be a little brighter, since it doesn't have to shine through the fiber optic. The fiber optic on the TFX is bright in the daylight. Both brands already have the notch machined in the front sight for the retaining pin.

Both are good products. As stated above, the middle of the front dot is the POA, not the top of the sight. If you 6 o'clock hold the TFX, you will think it is hitting low.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Czechbikr

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 06:57:08 PM »
I bought TFX Pro sights from a seller on EBay, NIB, and have mounted them on my CZ 75 Compact.  Installed with a sight pusher for the rear and went to the range with the tool to tweak the windage adjustment.  I have that pretty much where I need it but find the POI about 3" low after a combat sight picture, front dot covering the POA.  Need to have another session to be certain and them I'll contact TruGlo to see what they think if it persists.  Shooting 124 grain reloads at 30 feet. 

Regarding the brightness of the tritium, I find them equal to my Sig P320 45 Redbox gun that I bought a year ago.  That gun had been refinished with a new slide and I assume new night sights.

Offline 9Parabellum19

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 10:03:04 PM »
IMHO Dawson is higher quality.  That said I have at least 4 sets of TruGlo handgun sights in current use.

Offline Czechbikr

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 09:05:07 AM »
IMHO Dawson is higher quality.  That said I have at least 4 sets of TruGlo handgun sights in current use.

A little more background, I like the fiber optic for visibility and figured that the tritium was a bonus although the cost of those ranging from 95-115 was the obstacle for me to overcome. The quality of the materials and construction of the TruGlo is very good IMO.  EBay offered a 25.00 coupon and combined with the seller price as shipped brought my net cost down to 74 bucks.  Being half Bohemian, it was an offer that I couldn't refuse!  If they prove to be shooting 2-3" low my bargain may have lost it's luster however.  Really need to get back to the range to work with them some more.  (I envy the folks that can step out their door and shoot in their backyard) 

Offline Harlan7714

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 11:11:48 PM »
I have the Truglo TFX tritium and fiber sights on my PCR.  When I received the sights, the package specifically said on them "not for PCR". I installed them anyway, and they fit fine. It was difficult to get the original CZ sights off as I've heard from everybody so far, but the Truglo sights went on very easily particularly with a sight pusher.  No sanding or filing required.  At the range with four different types of basic 124g ball ammo, these sights are consistently shooting low about 2" inches at 20 ft, about 4" at 50ft. (My carry ammo is 124g also).  When I put a bore sight on to check, the sight picture was definitely more of a combat sight picture, but even then shooting low. I casually measured the new sights against the originals. The rear sight appears to be identical to the one I removed, and the front sight appears to be about twenty thousands of an inch taller.  Btw, At 15 yards the front sight covers a 6 inch target.  It's big. But as someone said these are combat sights, not for scoring targets.  I have ordered the Dawson tritium sights and when they come in I will do a detailed comparison of the two and report back again.  for comparison, I have the same Truglo sights on a Ruger and on that gun they are spot-on with pumpkin on a post.  (I'll carefully measure all three sets and post what I get.)

Offline Czechbikr

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 02:50:22 PM »
I have the Truglo TFX tritium and fiber sights on my PCR.  When I received the sights, the package specifically said on them "not for PCR". I installed them anyway, and they fit fine. It was difficult to get the original CZ sights off as I've heard from everybody so far, but the Truglo sights went on very easily particularly with a sight pusher.  No sanding or filing required.  At the range with four different types of basic 124g ball ammo, these sights are consistently shooting low about 2" inches at 20 ft, about 4" at 50ft. (My carry ammo is 124g also).  When I put a bore sight on to check, the sight picture was definitely more of a combat sight picture, but even then shooting low. I casually measured the new sights against the originals. The rear sight appears to be identical to the one I removed, and the front sight appears to be about twenty thousands of an inch taller.  Btw, At 15 yards the front sight covers a 6 inch target.  It's big. But as someone said these are combat sights, not for scoring targets.  I have ordered the Dawson tritium sights and when they come in I will do a detailed comparison of the two and report back again.  for comparison, I have the same Truglo sights on a Ruger and on that gun they are spot-on with pumpkin on a post.  (I'll carefully measure all three sets and post what I get.)

I had mine out a couple of days ago and am still shooting a bit low. ran the target out to 45 feet to check that.  I'll play with it a bit more and possibly pull the front sight to shave a few thousandths off the bottom. 

Offline Dred

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 11:23:57 PM »
Installed TFX Pros on my Shadowline Compact.  Extremely low at 10 yards.  I'm dissapointed, but not too surprised.  Worst case they move to my Shadow Tac II. 

My next steps are resting the pistol, taking measurements, calculating the correction and finally tossing the ball to TruGlo.  I have one report of Truglo supplying corrected sights with good success.

I bought through Amazon who listed them for CZ 75 series pistols.  Was skeptical of the same combo working across such a wide spectrum of pistols.

I'll report back when I reach a solution.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk

Offline coffeecoloredcatfish

• Yo.....
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 04:25:34 AM »
I've heard great things about Dawsons, however have yet to pick up a single set. Truglo on the other hand I keep buying. And each time wishing I had gone with something else. Maybe I'm just so comforted by the disappointment I'm scared to leave.

anything