Author Topic: Allen wrench broke off in Manticore!!!  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Cohenj87

Allen wrench broke off in Manticore!!!
« on: May 11, 2019, 11:01:42 PM »
Hey everyone, new guy here. Bought my first CZ a few weeks ago, picked up a micro when my local shop got their first shipment. I don't really like the PDW brace it came with and decided to get the folding setup with the tailhook brace. When I tried to remove the PDW brace the allen wrench broke off in the set screw. It's sticking out of the screw just a little bit. Any suggestions on how to get this out?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 01:59:55 PM by Cohenj87 »

Offline adrian

Re: Allen wrench broke off!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 12:43:49 AM »
     Hiya and thx for your thread. When you have a system of support like cz-usa and you own a new gun they understand things like a broken tool in a gun happen. So toll free, ask for a smith or warranty dept and they will take care of your gun. Be well.

Offline Antmistr

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 04:35:18 AM »
It looks like there is a ridge on the top left corner, I would drop some gun oil in there and then use a needle nose pliers to grip it and pull it out. If that doesn?t work try using a driver to insert a small screw and then use that for leverage. If you could at least loosen it you could also try a magnet..

Offline motorolanut

• “Character is what you are in the dark.”
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 07:27:28 AM »
Put some break free or a little PB blaster in it.  Then try the needle nose pliers to extract the broken end.  If it is really jammed in there then I would go the CZ service warranty route.  I hate hex/allen screws/bolts myself, I prefer torx.
Virtue has united, death shall not separate

Offline sberres

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 09:29:39 AM »
Take a small prick punch and with a small hammer do a little judicious, light tapping inside the broken off end. Use care not to reform or flare the wrench end; you only want to jar it loose so that it?ll fall out. It got just enough tension applied to flats/corners to jam it in there. Get it to wiggle in the opposite way and it should fall right out or be loose enough that you can grab the edge or shake it or something.
  When you get the wrench out and try the thing again maybe try heating just the screw with a pointed tip soldering iron. Maybe there?s some Loctite involved?  Use a long, tee handled Allen wrench; those things have a lot more torsion and give before they get to a breaking point.
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.
SB

Offline Cohenj87

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 01:52:36 PM »
     Hiya and thx for your thread. When you have a system of support like cz-usa and you own a new gun they understand things like a broken tool in a gun happen. So toll free, ask for a smith or warranty dept and they will take care of your gun. Be well.

How long is their turn around typically, I haven't even fired this thing yet and don't want to be without it for a couple months. I sent their customer service a question before buying the gun and never even got a response thus why I haven't contacted them on this issue yet.

Offline OpusXJ

Re: Allen wrench broke off in Manticore!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 08:19:54 PM »
Try and pull the broken end out with pliers, then use a quality wrench.

Offline Manticore_Arms

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 07:26:58 AM »
Call CZ USA Customer Service, they are usually pretty quick to get issues resolved.

Sven
Manticore Arms

Offline Cohenj87

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 12:14:36 PM »
Cool thanks
Call CZ USA Customer Service, they are usually pretty quick to get issues resolved.

Sven
Manticore Arms

Offline RD ALLEN

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 04:28:18 PM »
Inertia will probably drop it free. Tap opposite you screw with the broken wrench in the verticle/down position. A smaller dead blow hammer should work.
Ralph

Offline colo-pr

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 09:23:50 AM »
did anyone knows of a video link, pictures, instructions or anything about how to take of that brace out? I been looking everywhere and not even in my go to place (youtube), Google or anything shows up. What is the first step to take it out?, then what is next?

I appreciate any help

Offline Cohenj87

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 08:20:54 PM »
did anyone knows of a video link, pictures, instructions or anything about how to take of that brace out? I been looking everywhere and not even in my go to place (youtube), Google or anything shows up. What is the first step to take it out?, then what is next?

I appreciate any help
There is a set screw on the left side of the brace. The set screw is bleep near welded in there though so be very very careful when trying to take it out. Try heating it up or something like that first. I got no reply from CZ or Manticore on the issue so you're on your own.

Offline Manticore_Arms

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 04:39:15 PM »

I appreciate any help
There is a set screw on the left side of the brace. The set screw is bleep near welded in there though so be very very careful when trying to take it out. Try heating it up or something like that first. I got no reply from CZ or Manticore on the issue so you're on your own.

For some reason CZ USA is using blue loctite on the set screw when it is installed on the micro.  Warranty issues for stocks and arm braces sold to and installed by CZ USA  are through CZ USA. We dont even sell to CZ USA, we just make the mounting blocks for SB Tactical and they sell the completed assemblies to CZ USA. We do not recommend the use of loctite on the set screw.

To remove loosen the set screw on the left side, put a small tool through the hole with the silver spring on the back of the block and use it to depress the button on the rear of the receiver. Then slide the mounting block up and off of the gun.

Sven
Manticore Arms