Author Topic: Needing advice for organizing Magazines  (Read 4146 times)

Offline motorcyclist

Re: Needing advice for organizing Magazines
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 11:59:19 AM »
I bought 2 that fit 50 cal ammo cans. They're 5 1/2" W x 11" long. I've been looking for a box or boxes to put them in, but have had no luck. 2 side by side on one of my safe shelves would hold 48 mags and still have space next to them to stack some AR mags. I could now use the mag holders on the safe door for single stack and other odd mags. That's the plan anyway...

Offline CrazyDave

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 06:48:03 AM »
A LGS had in large plastic ammo cans with foam.  They seemed logical and convenient.  I only own a few guns with more than 5 mags.  The mags live in piles on the top shelf of the safe and get thrown into a range bag when wanted.  Guns with less than 5 mags generally have a case that will fit them and the gun.  Being 100% non professional, barely tactical, and admittedly stupid, this works for me.  Good luck in your search. If you find the holy grail of mag storage, please do let us in on it.       
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:17:32 AM by CrazyDave »

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 06:58:16 AM »
There's a thread here that suggested using magnetic tool strips. That's what I use for metal mags. I only own one Glock, so plastic mags aren't a problem for me. Spare AR mags are kept in 50Cal cans with the foam inserts.

Offline bang bang

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 07:17:31 PM »
Between moving from a 10 round max magazine state and replacing magazines with standard capacity magazines and acquiring more firearms, I have more than 150 magazines and 25 different types.

My question is how do you organize your magazines?

I have theses too.

https://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-WeatherShield-Quart-Storage-Clear/dp/B00MWTK2FA/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=ziplock+totes&qid=1558048437&s=gateway&sr=8-5

what also do is to get some HD ziploc bags and put a label on them with what, date of purchase, vendor, round capacity, and quantity.  I also have a spreadsheet with the mag info of each container. 

For each box, i have them by Caliber or Type of Firearm.  Such as 22LR, handgun/rifle or whatever i need to do to keep them separate.

for the previous box i use them for the mags i will take to the range.  Most of my guns i only take 1,2 or 3 mags to the range.  And the box will usually hold what i need if not, just get more.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 08:59:18 PM »
I like magazine pouches like these -

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939891251/midwayusa-6-magazine-pouch-double-stack-pistol

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/range-gear/magazine-storage-pouches/semi-auto-magazine-storage-pouch-prod4151.aspx

(I buy the 6 magazine style)
I also use these pouches from midwayusa.  The 6 mag double stack pouches hold 12 mags of single-stack 1911.  Whodathunkit?

I keep my magazines loaded, throw a box top of the ammo loaded in the pouch for reference when I eventually get to the range.  Grab and go!

Every so often I re-apply my sharpie numbering of the mags as it does rub off over time.

Offline ernie_h

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2019, 11:50:11 AM »
I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/MagStorage-Solutions-Adjustable-Magazine-Holder-22cal/dp/B016CCV0BC/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=pistol+magazine+rack&qid=1559490396&s=gateway&sr=8-4

...for storage, but use the pouches as well for magazines in heavier (current) use. Not the greatest for single stack 9mm (e.g., PPS), but otherwise works well for me. [you'll need to buy extra dividers as well]

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2019, 12:00:54 PM »
I use a silver sharpie for my handgun mags, then use a colored stripe system on my different AR platform mags and mag wells.

Offline ernie_h

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2019, 12:54:05 PM »
I use a silver sharpie for my handgun mags, then use a colored stripe system on my different AR platform mags and mag wells.

How does the sharpie show up? I use a color system for calibers, but was going to pick up a few thin-tip paint pens to mark the bottom of pistol magazines as well (as to which pistol they 'belong' to).

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2019, 01:09:12 PM »
The silver looks almost white and shows up very well on the black mags.
I have to use black on the Springfield mags.

Offline Claymore504

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2019, 02:08:37 PM »
I use a silver sharpie on mags as well to ID each mag. This way I can isolate one if it has an issue.

Offline joedirt199

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2019, 11:08:49 AM »
I bought a bunch of black nylon 10 mag sleeve holders on amazon. Glock brands some but are a little more expensive than the off brand I bought. Holds double the single stack mags, and has a fold over flap with velcro to keep them in there. About $14 a piece.

https://www.amazon.com/FSDC-Caretaker-Magazine-Storage-Pouch/dp/B073V3LC14/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=10+magazine+pouch+with+cover&qid=1559996090&s=gateway&sprefix=10+magazine+&sr=8-4
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 08:16:25 AM by joedirt199 »
God created Police so Fireman would have heroes

In God we Trust, everyone else gets searched.

Offline Walt Sherrill

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2019, 09:02:01 PM »
As other have already suggested, I use $1 clear plastic shoe boxes from Dollars stores for magazines and holsters, and just write on them (using magic marker) the type of gun mag in the box.  It's cheap, they don't need to be in the safe, and they're neat.  (You can put Duct Tape on the shoe boxes and write on that, if you tend to move things around...)

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2019, 12:59:32 AM »
I decided to re-think my “sharpie” marker organization scheme.

Soon it will be Arizona “winter”, which always brings relatives from all over the country to spend some beautiful days out of the cold.  Which means I will continue to take them out in the desert to go shooting.  That brings with it a few “issues”, in that all the mags look alike to most people.  Keeping which mag goes to which gun straight has always been a problem.  Usually the mag won’t fit or lock into place, but that just means more confusion and frustration for me and my guests.

I’ll bring these:

And the mags will look like this in the range bag:

So this is going to be my solution.
A colored tape marking system that should be much simpler for everyone to keep straight.

And with my AR pattern rifles the same solution should keep things safer for all.  Other than the AR10 lowers, all the others accept every other caliber’s mags - which could really turn out badly. I’ve marked the ammo boxes with the same color labeling system, so in a SHTF situation - everybody should know the blue boxes and mags are for 5.56x45, and the green for 7.62x39, etc.

Can anybody tell me what’s wrong with this picture?

Offline timetofly

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2019, 12:08:55 PM »
MadDuner,

I really like your plan to color code your magazines.  The tape should stay on without any issues.  In my case I'll need to a "P-Touch" to label what pistol they go with with different colors for different manufacturers.  Thank you for the input.

Now for "Whats Wrong"  1) you have unused space in your safe and 2) you have a green mag in a blue gun.

All of life’s journeys begin by putting one foot in front of the other.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2019, 12:26:07 PM »
Hahahaha.... thanks!

My wife thinks this is a problem.
I see NO PROBLEMS.
She has a sewing room.
I have a den... errr, I mean safe room.

anything