Author Topic: Trijicon SRO looks like we may have a winner  (Read 772 times)

Offline kmanick

Trijicon SRO looks like we may have a winner
« on: May 15, 2019, 08:36:21 AM »
I just learned about this Red dot last night. I have a Venom 6MOA on my S2 and I like it but I'd like a larger window.
I was thinking of maybe going C-more RTS2 but I like that Trijicon is made in USA and they have a good  track record of reliability
anyone else looking at these for Carry Optics

found a bunch of places on line for about $40.00 more than the RMR

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:50:03 PM by kmanick »
make it criminal to own a gun and only criminals will own them

Offline earlan357

Re: Trijicon SRO looks like we may have a winner
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 10:08:45 PM »
Just swapped my RMR for an SRO on my SP-01 Tac.  There's no excuse for me to lose my dot when shooting weak-hand now.  The main body of the optic is taller than the RMR and might require taller backup sights if you use them.  Since I do my best to center the dot in the window to avoid parallax(much easier with the round window shape), my height over bore is going to be higher than I'm used to.  Gonna take some dryfire to get dialed in but I'm stoked. 

Also Aaron Cowan has a fantastic review of the SRO.  It's definitely going to be competition only for me.

Offline kmanick

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 11:34:40 PM »
any ejection issues, or the zero moving? plus where'd you get it? I've had one on back order with EuroOptics, now for a few weeks , still waiting  :(
looks great I was really hoping to have mine this week, for a Pro Am match I'm shooting this coming weekend, but it's not looking good
make it criminal to own a gun and only criminals will own them

Offline earlan357

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 09:18:44 AM »
No live fire yet.  Picked it up from Kenzie's Optics.  10% off for first purchase when you create an account.  I think the zero issues may be the parallax.  All my Trijicon RDS have it including the MRO.  The smaller window and edge distortion on the RMR makes it less noticeable, but the shape makes centering it vertically less intuitive.

1/3 scale target at 8' = simulated 16 yards.  There's enough parallax to miss the head box.  Big window makes keeping it centered a little tougher for precision shooting.

https://www.instagram.com/p/By7lYAogmb6/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 10:01:51 AM »
Pay attention to the battery life.  I'm seeing some reports of battery life as short at 10 to 12 days.  I read that on the internet though, so you know how that goes.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline earlan357

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 11:09:45 AM »
Pay attention to the battery life.  I'm seeing some reports of battery life as short at 10 to 12 days.  I read that on the internet though, so you know how that goes.

That's probably if you lock it on the max setting.  Setting 8 is insanely bright, like for shooting at the sun I guess.  My RMR type1 at setting 8 lasted about 4 weeks before it started blinking.  Locked at setting 6, it made it to my yearly battery change.  Duracells also seem to provide the best life compared to Energizer/Sanyo cells.  It's too dim for me when left on auto brightness mode though,  so I'm gonna store mine on auto, then manually adjust for lighting conditions as needed, usually between setting 5 and 6.  It will hold the last manual setting for 16 hours before going back to auto.  The nice thing is, battery changes are super easy now, so I'll probably just swap it every few months.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 01:48:49 PM »
That is the one thing that's kept me from buying a regular RMR.  Having to take it off the pistol to change batteries.  That's why I got those two DI RMRs.  Not perfect, but they won't have to come off the pistol for several years.

You could be right about the settings.  I don't remember if the complainer mentioned what setting he had it on.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 09:44:25 AM »
I've been very happy with my DPPro's, and I personally like the 7.5moa triangle that allows me to place the triangle over target for fast shots, but use the tip of triangle for accuracy at distance which also compensates for slight parallax. But, I also have astigmatism, so a smaller 2.5 moa DPP dot just blurs for me. And the DPP's (optional) wind and elev adjustable rear iron for perfect lower 1/3 co-witness. Top battery load, rugged as heck, moa adjustments click nicely. If any complaint, maybe some think it too large for a compact.
So, now that they've enlarged the RMR, just wondering, how is the SRO supposed to be better than DPP?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 10:01:36 AM by Vinny »
"Without Fear, there can be no Courage"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 08:52:26 PM »

So, now that they've enlarged the RMR, just wondering, how is the SRO supposed to be better than DPP?

Better? That remains to be seen after enough of them are in the hands of shooters to find out.  I think Trijicon recognized that they lost a pretty big chunk of the market to Leupold and Sig, and wanted to offer an optic that directly competes with the DPP/Romeos for competition purposes.  Sig is doing the same with their optics such as the soon-to-be releasd RomeoMax.  Granted, the competition market is not a huge one, but it is recognized by many manufacturers that if it works in competition (USPSA, 3-gun, et.al.) that often translates into more practical applications. 

I think what will attract buyers to the SRO are those that already own RMRs and have had good success with the RMR’s durability, it did for me.  Another mark in the SRO’s favor is sharing the same mounting footprint as the RMR, so in my case if my SRO goes down I have the option of taking my RMR off my P10C and putting it on my Shadow 2 to finish the match (or just switch to the P10C...). 

I was all set to order a Leupold DPP, but I jumped on the SRO bandwagon when they were first announced for the two reasons I stated above. I have yet to get mine yet (I’m hearing the 5MOAs are due to ship in July).

Offline Vinny

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 09:23:16 PM »

Better? That remains to be seen after enough of them are in the hands of shooters to find out.  I think Trijicon recognized that they lost a pretty big chunk of the market to Leupold and Sig, and wanted to offer an optic that directly competes with the DPP/Romeos for competition purposes.  Sig is doing the same with their optics such as the soon-to-be releasd RomeoMax.  Granted, the competition market is not a huge one, but it is recognized by many manufacturers that if it works in competition (USPSA, 3-gun, et.al.) that often translates into more practical applications. 

I think what will attract buyers to the SRO are those that already own RMRs and have had good success with the RMR’s durability, it did for me.  Another mark in the SRO’s favor is sharing the same mounting footprint as the RMR, so in my case if my SRO goes down I have the option of taking my RMR off my P10C and putting it on my Shadow 2 to finish the match (or just switch to the P10C...). 

I was all set to order a Leupold DPP, but I jumped on the SRO bandwagon when they were first announced for the two reasons I stated above. I have yet to get mine yet (I’m hearing the 5MOAs are due to ship in July).
2morechains,
Your reasoning makes perfect sense, and if I was already running RMR's I'd do the same. Really, the only reason I have but one RMR (mounted quite nicely on my RAMI BD) is the small window. The SRO addresses that, and the blue lens coating might also be a plus in extremely bright sunlight. Likewise, if you're already running DPP or SIG, I don't see much motivation to switch. YMMV
"Without Fear, there can be no Courage"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Discus420

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 08:37:29 PM »
its good looking that's for sure....  trijicon customer service is one of the top I think they beat Leupold hands down IMHO

Offline George16

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 09:49:19 PM »
Waiting for the 5 moa since the rest of my red dots are 6 moa.