Author Topic: I bought a Taurus?!  (Read 3714 times)

Offline CrazyDave

I bought a Taurus?!
« on: May 15, 2019, 08:55:46 AM »
Don't hold this against me.  I have no idea whatsoever how this happened.  The Lady and I are at the LGS and there lied a teal and black Taurus "TH9" 9mm.  It followed us home at $300.  2-17 round mags and a nice enough hard case.  It felt reliable, but the trigger uptake/reset/break is hilariously long and poor overall.  Point-ability, if you like 1911 or CZ 75 this will make you smile more than a Glock/Sig/HK iMHO. 3 back straps, funky key lock tools, all included.   

It's a bullet chucker.  Sights are mediocre at best and the trigger does not help. Taurus has never been known for accuracy, but this example is barely good enough for a defense gun.  In a rest it would do OK, I think....maybe.  Laying prone I could actually hit targets we normally stand and hit easily and fast.   It was 100% reliable out of the box with no care for 200 rounds. 

If I only had $300 and needed a pistol for self defense, this would probably be it....but I would hate it.   It does cycle perfect and the sloppy fit lends to it's reliability through every ammo we fed it.  The grip is great, stippling is awesome, price is stupidly cheap for what you get, light rail, full length guide rod, ambi everything, easy field strip, hard case, two 17 round mags of 9mm, great grip.  Runs perfect. For another couple hundred you could have a CZ or another 100 guns that would be better...but it's just another gun in the safe and fun for the money.

Offline Practical Shooter

• Legio Patria Nostra
Re: I bought a Taurus?!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 12:30:55 PM »
 Thanks, I was wondering about that TH9 too.

holidaypf

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 02:16:26 PM »
Dave, you are crazy! Just kidding. :) Shoot the heck out of it and let us know how it runs.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 02:31:22 PM »
I've had very good luck with Taurus Pistols in the past, with my all time favorite being a PT92, which admittedly is a derivative of the early Beretta 92. Some of my CCW options include a 9mm 24/7 Pro, PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm, and a PT709 9mm, which have all proven good.  The PT709's trigger's nothing to rave about, either, but it is manageable.

The newer Taurus Pistols don't interest me at all, and a better deal on an "econo-pistol" can be had with the polymer framed Sarsilmaz Cz Clones and the Canik TP9 Series Pistols.
Pistols you can actually love in spite of their low price.

That said, Good Luck to you with your new Taurus TH9 and may it serve you well!  :)

If I only had $300 and needed a pistol for self defense, this would probably be it....but I would hate it.   It does cycle perfect and the sloppy fit lends to it's reliability through every ammo we fed it. 

Kind of how I feel about my S&W SW9VE, but I am planning on doing some further trigger work on it to bring it's 8 lb trigger down to a more manageable 5 lbs.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 02:40:29 PM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 04:05:25 PM »
 Crazy Dave, thanks for the write-up and review I know which gun now I'll never buy.
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 04:19:58 PM »

If I only had $300 and needed a pistol for self defense, this would probably be it....but I would hate it.   It does cycle perfect and the sloppy fit lends to it's reliability through every ammo we fed it. 

Kind of how I feel about my S&W SW9VE, but I am planning on doing some further trigger work on it to bring it's 8 lb trigger down to a more manageable 5 lbs.

Good Luck sir. there are very few handguns I would not spend time on trying to make them better. In my experience the S&W SW9VE is one of the top 3 along with a Kel Tec PF9 or P-11 that time and money will not help. I hope you have better luck then I did.

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline CrazyDave

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 05:24:23 PM »
Crazy Dave, thanks for the write-up and review I know which gun now I'll never buy.
Hahaha.....I thought most folks here would feel the same way as yourself and honestly, I do too.  A Canik would be a better choice I think for most.  The ugly thing won't jam though, but unless your much more skilled than us hitting something is nearly impossible at any distance. A friends Canik is wonderfully accurate, but does not come in teal.  Women...... :P

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 06:34:11 PM »
 I'm thinking the LGS was blowing smoke up his *** . And got him to buy it.🤪 OH YA this is a great gun and you can't beat it for the price.😳
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline Rmach

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 07:15:36 PM »
I have a Taurus PT140 G2, and it has been accurate and reliable.

Offline GRU7_Mike

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 07:31:38 PM »
When my Kahr had to get a trigger installed I wanted a backup for my 9mm CZ so I bought a Taurus G2c for $179.00 just to have something.   One of the better choices I ever made.  Accurate, not ammo picky, throw it in the tool box and do not worry about messing up the finish. At the time it only had a 1 year warranty (now they have extended it to lifetime) and I never would have used it under 1 year and still will probably never send it in.   Now dealing with CS and Repair of my Heritage Arms .22 Rough Rider...now unfortunately owned by Taurus,  shows me not much has changed to want to ever use any repair thru that company.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
William Pitt

Offline eastman

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 09:05:22 PM »
Hahaha.....I thought most folks here would feel the same way as yourself and honestly, I do too.  A Canik would be a better choice I think for most.  The ugly thing won't jam though, but unless your much more skilled than us hitting something is nearly impossible at any distance. A friends Canik is wonderfully accurate, but does not come in teal.  Women...... :P

Ceracoat can make it any color
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Spad124

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 07:25:39 AM »
I?m not surprised you found the Taurus is a good pistol.  I had a PT99 at one time. Absolutely reliable with good accuracy.  I really had no complaints with the pistol except my hands are a bit small for its grip.  I fit CZ75s much better.  I just traded it off because I wanted a S&W 25 more. 

For a $300 house/SD gun today that I wasn?t going to CC, I?d look at Ruger P89/90/95 or a S&W SD9VE.  The Rugers are great-just bigger.  I went the SD9VE route-hand size thing again.   Yes, the trigger for the striker system isn?t as nice as a hammer fired pistol. But it?s an ultra reliable, accurate pistol.  With enough presses the trigger becomes acceptable.  I still like my CZs the best though. 

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 10:01:45 AM »

Ceracoat can make it any color

wisdom!!!!!

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 03:06:18 PM »
Can't beat the warranty. I don't have a Taurus pistol but have 3 of their revolvers and like them all. 44 mag, 22 and 17HMR all in same frame size.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

CZ_FANATIC

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 07:56:27 PM »
Two brands I will never buy... Hi-Point and Taurus

anything