Author Topic: Bullseye, you might be my new favorite powder!  (Read 2451 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Bullseye, you might be my new favorite powder!
« on: May 15, 2019, 04:38:49 PM »
So I had to try out some of the powders I got the other day, and Bullseye is on the list of ones I have never, ever used. So, we changed that and holey moley, ths stuff gives good results! P-10C FDE, rested, 15 yards.

This rest came with all the stuff - didn't realize it was un-usued and really old until i discovered the front of the fork is now stained black over the carpet, which is now pulling away from the steel. Shoulda just given it to Joe.

New bullets to play with, too.

Combine with Bullseye for wow.

Works well with other bullets too.

My standby home cast bullet...

Now I know what I am going to be doing all night long tonight... 8)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 05:31:42 PM by Wobbly »

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: Bullseye, you might be my new favorite powder!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 06:27:12 PM »
Very nice! Bullseye is an old and usually sooty powder but it's a great old stand by just the same. I still use it exclusively for .45 ACP and for certain loads/bullets in .38 spl.

Offline StuckonGlocks21

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 07:49:42 PM »
I am getting good results from Bullseye also.

[Mods corrected photo width]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:29:35 AM by Wobbly »

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 08:19:30 PM »
I've been loading Bullseye since about 1964.  It shoots well and an 8 pound keg will last me almost a year.  I try to buy it by the case, but it's been hard to find dealers who have a case of 32 pounds on hand when I'm ready to buy. 

Did I mention that I like Bullseye?  Well, I do, and it's been a mainstay on my bench ever since I started loading handguns.  I did it backwards from most others today, and started right in loading for .30-06 in 1963, and bought my first centerfire handgun in 1964.  I have no idea how many pounds of Bullseye I've burned up over the years, but it's quite a bit.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline steerclr

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 08:30:18 PM »
I load about everything handgun with Bullseye, except magnum loads.  Meters well and goes a long way. I have some Unique and Titegroup, but I just tend to use the Bullseye.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 08:54:38 PM by steerclr »

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 12:35:47 AM »
I've been loading Bullseye since about 1964.  It shoots well and an 8 pound keg will last me almost a year.  I try to buy it by the case, but it's been hard to find dealers who have a case of 32 pounds on hand when I'm ready to buy. 

Did I mention that I like Bullseye?  Well, I do, and it's been a mainstay on my bench ever since I started loading handguns.  I did it backwards from most others today, and started right in loading for .30-06 in 1963, and bought my first centerfire handgun in 1964.  I have no idea how many pounds of Bullseye I've burned up over the years, but it's quite a bit.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Fred, in 1964 I was still measured in negative numbers...just sayin'...I didn't shoot a real firearm until 1976...

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 01:57:32 AM »
SOG21, nice shootin', I see I have a ways to go.

BTW, that pistol rest suddenly is a puzzler - can't find the company or the rest anywhere online, thought I might get a new front rest carpet...but the only Formula Manufacturing in Rancho Cordova, California, makes yachts...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 11:50:12 PM by armoredman »

Offline cdhbrad

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 08:35:07 AM »
I found a charge of 3.6gr of Bullseye with the coated version of that MBC Bullet to be very accurate in all my 9mm CZs and 1911s.  4.0gr of BE is my standard charge for a 200gr coated LSWC in 45 ACP, very accurate.

Offline George16

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 09:42:54 AM »
I always liked bullseye and loaded thousands of .45 ammo with it. I tried 3.8 grains with 124 Gr bullets (RN, FN and JHP) and it was dirty compared to Sport Pistol and Winchester 231. Sport pistol is the most accurate and cleanest burning powder among these three powders I have used. Ymmv.

124 Gr PD JHP with 4.0 Gr Sport Pistol @ 1.121-1.125 OAL 132PF

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 10:06:15 AM »
I'm kind of a smell freak and Bullseye smell like rotten eggs to me. I can tell when people use it and it make me grimace.
Its fine powder I am sure but I can't use it I have to go a different direction. Just me though - weird to admit but true.

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 03:32:35 PM »
Bullseye is an excellent Pistol Powder and I used to use it some back when I first started loading.  Later on, I switched over to Red Dot, Bullseye's slightly slower sibling, as I could also use it in my 12 gauge Trap Loads.

It should also be noted that the current versions of the Alliant, formerly Hercules, Powders, made after 2003, burn significantly cleaner, than previous production.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Dan_69GTX

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 10:46:11 AM »
Hey armoredman - thanks for the pics. 

Do you like the rest?  I think I just might build me one. 

That carpet looks just like outdoor carpet that lowes and home depot used to sell.
Some trust in chassis, Some in Horsepower, But we trust in the Lord our God.

If it goes "boom" or "vroom" I'm intersted.

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 01:53:54 PM »
Just as an historical note, Bullseye is the oldest of the continuously manufactured handgun/shotgun powders, with Unique being the second oldest.  It was first produced in the late 1890's, and is still going strong after about 125 years.
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 12:16:47 AM »
I did not know that. I did here there is a sample of Unique from the late 1890s that gets a small portion dried out every year to see if it's deteriorated, and apparently still going strong. I was also told Alliant reformulated a few years back so the powders aren't quite so dirty.
The rest is very easy to use, but too short for the shooting benches at the range, will have to build a riser box. It's solid as a rock, welded steel square tubing.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 05:36:11 PM »
I was also told Alliant reformulated [Unique] a few years back so the powders aren't quite so dirty.

I believe what they did was improve the grinding method to get a more consistent particle size. That made it meter and burn much more consistently. It's the consistent burn characteristics that then made it not "quite so dirty".

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

anything