Author Topic: I need help with a Canik TP9 SFX  (Read 7086 times)

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
I need help with a Canik TP9 SFX
« on: May 15, 2019, 10:38:59 PM »
 I was at the range shooting moving targets that spin, stop and run up and down the range the program I choose would spin and stop 3 times at 5, 10, 15 yards for a total of 36 shots in 90 seconds. The problem I was having with the Canik was twice in 350 rounds the trigger didn't reset it was just dead I had to rack the slide and eject a live round to get it running again. The gun is less than a year old and has ran 100% until today I can't figure it out can you out run the trigger reset ?

Offline Maynard

Re: I need help with a Canik TP9 SFX
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 12:32:14 AM »
I'm wondering if there's a spot in the slide travel just slightly out of battery or a little greater where you can get the trigger to drop? In a sense that would be outrunning the reset.

Have you shot it as that type of speed before?

Offline BKmetz

• I'm 100% Slavic so CZ works for me.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 01:38:48 AM »

I also own a Canik TP9SFx. The Canik forums will give you more specific information. It's not a busy forum but the guys there really know every detail about Canik pistols. There is also a good technical advice on the Canik Facebook page.

https://canikfanatikforum.com/

Some general opinions at the Canik forum say the TP9 SFx is a bit over sprung from the factory and is sensitive to ammo. What ammo are you using? If your pistol is stock then 124g NATO is best. 147g is considered too heavy and can slow the slide just enough that the pistol won't reset the striker spring. 115g is hit and miss. Most guys install softer springs and this cures the ammo sensitivity.

Canik makes a very good pistol for the money. I'm sure you'll get the issues sorted out. There are YouTube videos out there of guys who have run 10k rounds without any problems so to me anyway, shows the pistol is a proven platform.

Good luck.

:)
You can always tell a Slovak, but you can't tell him much. Just ask my wife. ;)

Offline lewmed

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 12:58:56 PM »
 I'm running my own reloads 124 gr round nose mid range load I can't see how the bullet weight could make the trigger not reset. It only takes about 1/2" of slide travel to cock the striker and reset the trigger. And thinking back over the last few months it my have failed to reset before and I thought I had a high primer. Right now giving it a good detail cleaning but everything looks normal except for a few powder flakes in and around the striker.

Offline BKmetz

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 12:40:39 AM »

Bah, I can't find the where I read about 147g ammo. Anyway, most TP9SFx issues are some kind of mismatch between the recoil spring, the striker spring, and the ammo. As you are using your own reloads, I would start there. Your problem might be something as simple as retuning your reloads slightly as your springs get broke in. These pistols do seem to change a bit how they fire after the usual 1000 round break-in. Here are some videos I found that will help explain all this and some other TP9SFx issues.

There are a lot of good videos on Youtube. Do a search for a guy named Frank Xu, or Frank the Tank. He's the #1 Canik guy about how to tune and tweak these pistols.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Offline BKmetz

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 09:02:06 AM »

I found the video about the 147g issues. Goes back to the springs not liking the ammo.

Offline BKmetz

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 09:30:14 AM »
Here's a video on the firing pin block plunger and how to smooth it out if it feels rough.

I did remove my firing pin block plunger and go over it with 2000 grit sandpaper. I have the lighter spring but I have not installed it yet.

The trigger bar makes contact with the short angle side of the plunger. It's a steep angle.

I haven't touched my trigger bar yet but I do plan to go over the top and smooth it out. If you don't separate the trigger bar from the frame, place a business card between the trigger bar and the frame so you don't scuff up the frame.

Close up of the firing pin block plunger. You can see where Canik ground some metal off the very bottom to stop it from binding in the slide. It can still benefit from detailed polishing. One can see where some paint has rubbed off the spring. The spring is rubbing the inside of the plunger as it compresses. This is what is causing the 'stacking' feeling described in the video.

Some guys polish the trigger bar and plunger to a mirror finish. I'm not that anal/OCD and it's not necessary. Only polish the top of the trigger bar and give the plunger a good smoothing out. When I was done smoothing out my plunger, it still has a little bit of coating left on it.

Despite all the spring drama, the Canik makes a great pistol.

Offline lewmed

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 12:44:56 PM »
 I took it back to the range today after a good cleaning and the same thing happened only this time with factory Blazer 115 gr ball ammo and Speer gold dot 124 gr +P .   The trigger was dead and the slide was in full battery with a live round in the chamber. I gave it a tap, rack, inspect and it was running again both failures today happened on the first magazine fired with the new ammo then no more failures for a 100 rounds. Good thing this pistol is just a range toy and I'm getting good at tap, rack, inspect.

Offline BKmetz

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 05:34:33 PM »

I've been looking in the Canik forums and facebook page and I can't find anything as what you're describing. Might be time to call Century Arms and talk to someone.

???

Offline lewmed

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 08:57:23 PM »
 I got an email back from the guys that make the Fat daddy trigger they said if the FD trigger had been working okay before then it wasn't the problem.  So I'm going to put all the stock springs back and see if that works.

Offline DaveF

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 03:40:32 PM »
I was at the range shooting moving targets that spin, stop and run up and down the range the program I choose would spin and stop 3 times at 5, 10, 15 yards for a total of 36 shots in 90 seconds. The problem I was having with the Canik was twice in 350 rounds the trigger didn't reset it was just dead I had to rack the slide and eject a live round to get it running again. The gun is less than a year old and has ran 100% until today I can't figure it out can you out run the trigger reset ?
I have never had a problem with mine, unless you didn?t release trigger afar enough for the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BKmetz

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 09:33:36 AM »
I have never had a problem with mine, unless you didn?t release trigger afar enough for the rest.

Yeah, those Fat Daddy triggers are really tight between the reset and break point. This is the only thing that makes sense to me.

lewmed, keep us posted on what you find out.

Offline lewmed

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 04:35:50 PM »
  My wife has been in the hospital so I haven't had a chance to shoot it much but it seems to be working after I removed about .005" from the front of the trigger and replaced the trigger return spring.

Offline lou.gonzalez

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 07:05:18 AM »
Buddy, hope your wife is ok!
The steep incline after 40 of the type and volume of proverbial sh%t that old cruel joke we know as ?aging? plays on folks alone, is enough to keep you up at night. I?m not sure what your belief system is, but I know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it?s not a train.
I?m eager to hear more about the canik thing, but I?m also happy to hear a fellow shooter also has his life priorities in the right place. I?m sad that she?s ill brother, but hope she gets better soon.
I don?t know who said it, but I once heard something so simple yet profoundly accurate ?We must live life forward, but to truly understand life it should be lived backwards.
I think many shooters, are shooters for different reasons but most are driven to learn because they cherish life. We seek to preserve it under every conceivable eventuality, with an Mp5 (just kidding, but seriously who doesn?t love an MP5?).
Take care!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SmithCrumpelZ

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 12:04:52 AM »
Did you ever get this problem sorted out? There are some TP9s that, when the trigger is pulled and a round goes off, the trigger bar moves a little to the side, falling off track with the firing pin block. Then on the way forward it slides on the side of the block and the trigger resets but isnt in line with the block anymore so when you pull the trigger again the striker releases but doesnt get past the block. Then you have to pull the slide back just slightly to reset. It can be fixed and Century Arms came out with a new (wider) firing pin block to fix this problem, since if you notice, the originals are very skinny.

anything