Author Topic: Palmetto State Armory 35 round mags  (Read 3192 times)

Offline dickwholliday

Palmetto State Armory 35 round mags
« on: May 20, 2019, 09:19:13 AM »
i've been sitting on my thumbs waiting for magpul to to get their 35 rounders out....somehow i found that the good ole boys at  palmetto state down in SC were already making them...with metal feed lips to boot.....i went to their site and low and behold not only were they available but they were on special at $14.99 wit free shipping.....if you bought 5

i ordered five on monday or tuesday and they showed up on thursday....

i loaded all five with 35 rounds and decided to film all 175 shots and show the results.... good bad or whatever.....

well i'm glad to report they shot all 175 rounds with no stoppages at all....and locked back after each empty mag....

none dropped free with the bolt locked back,,, but in all fairness,,, neither do my two different types of factory mags....

when i figure out how to post the vid to youtube i'll post it here.....

D I C K

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:42:00 AM by dickwholliday, Reason: edit to add video »

Offline dallasb

Re: Palmetto State Armory 35 round mags
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 09:23:30 AM »
I had to sand down the front of the mag. There was flashing from the molding process.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline 1000RR

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 07:46:30 AM »
Very cool outdoor range!

Offline dickwholliday

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 10:35:32 AM »
Buccaneer Gun Club near Leland NC

Here?s a drone view of the whole place

Offline 1000RR

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 10:46:49 AM »
Buccaneer Gun Club near Leland NC

Here?s a drone view of the whole place

Wow, place is huge.  Dayum nice!!

Offline AzEvo1

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 06:17:00 PM »
Just received my Scorpion today so I was finally able to test the mags out and 4 out of the 5 mags dropped free and held the bolt open. So I lightly sanded the front face just below the follower and the back side from right below the follower to where the the red follower rail sticks up. If you look at the stock mags theres no top notch on the back side (they're smooth in that area) so I'm assuming because these PSA mags are being made for the AK they need this upper notch.

Offline dickwholliday

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 05:47:38 PM »
I went back out to the steel range today and ran another 175 rounds through my five mags
With no malfunctions of any sort and mags locked back every time..... life is good..... D I C K

Offline Hemiscorpius lepturus

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 02:37:50 AM »
Just received my Scorpion today so I was finally able to test the mags out and 4 out of the 5 mags dropped free and held the bolt open. So I lightly sanded the front face just below the follower and the back side from right below the follower to where the the red follower rail sticks up. If you look at the stock mags theres no top notch on the back side (they're smooth in that area) so I'm assuming because these PSA mags are being made for the AK they need this upper notch.

I have 2 different batches of PSA mags, none of them have that extra notch, that must be a recent development

Offline CrazyDave

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 06:37:21 AM »
Thanks for this!  Nice shirt, shooting, and review.   The LGS loves the folks at Palmetto up here in Michigan. 

Offline Inspector 12

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 10:24:44 PM »
Got my PSA mags yesterday. I ordered six, all six hold the bolt open and when the bolt is closed virtually shoot out of the mag well when the release is pressed. When the bolt hold open is engaged, they do not drop free but are easy to remove. May just need some slight "adjustment" in some of the areas mentioned in this and other threads.

Offline zaxXxon

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 09:54:08 AM »
Got some of the PSA mags last week and they are awesome!  All four fed fine and locked open.   $15 is an absolute steal for these.  Even 20 is great. I just wished there were witness holes so I don't have to count.   I keep setting off the fire alarm when I'm loading these lol

Offline 1000RR

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 10:06:30 AM »
Got some of the PSA mags last week and they are awesome!  All four fed fine and locked open.   $15 is an absolute steal for these.  Even 20 is great. I just wished there were witness holes so I don't have to count.   I keep setting off the fire alarm when I'm loading these lol

A drill can be used to put in some witness holes if desired.  Just remove baseplate, spring, and follower.  Drill holes, then take a file and make sure any residual plastic is removed from the inside so the follower moves smoothly still. 

Offline rbuzz00

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 10:17:49 AM »

A drill can be used to put in some witness holes if desired.  Just remove baseplate, spring, and follower.  Drill holes, then take a file and make sure any residual plastic is removed from the inside so the follower moves smoothly still.

Excellent idea. Funny how a solution so simple isn't even thought of until someone makes the suggestion.  Then we all go back and say to ourselves "why didn't I think of that?"

Offline 1000RR

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 11:27:21 AM »

Excellent idea. Funny how a solution so simple isn't even thought of until someone makes the suggestion.  Then we all go back and say to ourselves "why didn't I think of that?"

Haha, right?  I do the same thing. 

If you really want to get technical in where you drill the holes, you could take a 20 or 30rnd magazine (that has witness holes/windows) and put it next to the 35 and make your sight holes at the same locations.

Offline Bassdeer

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 04:43:56 PM »
Just got 5 of them today, and all hold bolt open, now the 5 got last year did not hold bolt open, I'm have to take a palm sander to the top of the mag to get it to hold bolt open. the new mags look to be made a little different. Mag on the left is old, mag on the right is the one I just got. the area above the red bolt lock lift is milled out a little. In the second picture you can see the mag on the left (new mag #1) is milled down a little and the mag on the right (old mag #2) is not. That's the area I have to sand down to make it thinner.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 05:07:14 PM by Bassdeer »

anything