Author Topic: Gun Kaboom Incident  (Read 1101 times)

Offline tdogg

Gun Kaboom Incident
« on: May 21, 2019, 12:08:42 AM »
I shot and worked the Prescott action shooters Northern Arizona Classic this last weekend.   I was an RO on stage 11 with the match stage designer Brent.   It was a great match and a good experience.  There was about 370 shooters with a large contingent of PCC shooters.

I don't remember the squad but a young kids came up to shoot.   He was in his teens shooting a fully built 2011 open gun with a frame mounted optic.   I think he was shooting 9mm major but I don't actually know for sure.  He was mid way through the stage and the gun was singing along pop-pop, pop-pop, boom!  The kid was stunned but didn't drop the gun and maintained safe control over the gun.  We immediately made sure he was safe and to my surprise he was mostly uninjured!  He had a small nick on his chin from the shrapnel.  The gun was totaled.   His optic was blown apart and the slide and chamber were ruptured.   I'm not sure if the frame was damaged but the slide was stuck and we couldn't clear the gun.   They bagged it and we scored the stage as shot.

I'm not sure what caused it but I don't think it was a squib.   He was shooting fast so maybe it was and we didn't hear it?  It was compensated and thus was obnoxiously loud.   If it was a squib it would have been apparent.   I think he had an over charge that exceeded the critical pressure and it went kaboom.

Just a reminder to practice safe reloading and to wear safety glasses while shooting!  His gun handled it admirably but a production gun might have a different ending.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: Gun Kaboom Incident
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 04:50:59 AM »
Without being able to examine the gun it's hard to nail down completely. Could have been an overcharge. The squib possibility is still there and it could have also been caused by bullet setback if neck tension was weak on a particular round.
Good thing it was a well built metal gun. Had it been a plastic framed gun the kid may well have some torn up fingers today.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 06:32:01 AM »
Glad to hear that the only real damage was to equipment!

Offline CrazyDave

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 06:40:18 AM »
Good experience and story. If I may ask,what kind of gun was it?

Online M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 07:07:54 AM »
Without being able to examine the gun it's hard to nail down completely. Could have been an overcharge. The squib possibility is still there and it could have also been caused by bullet setback if neck tension was weak on a particular round.
Good thing it was a well built metal gun. Had it been a plastic framed gun the kid may well have some torn up fingers today.

I think about that every time I see a busted up Glock (or other plastic pistol, but there are a lot of Glocks out there) and I remember my 9MM case blow out/separation in the Pre B CZ85.  I didn't even know anything was "wrong" till it wouldn't chamber the next round and looked down to see the rim/base of the case lying on the bench top.  All I had was an extra dirty pistol and the case wall to fish out of the chamber.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline tdogg

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 09:32:10 AM »
Yeah I don't know the make of gun that was used.   It handled it well and saved the kids hands for sure.

Since the kid was ok we had to move on.   We had a new shooter about every 3 minutes for 2 days.   

Cheers,
Toby

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 04:25:16 PM by tdogg »

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 02:40:29 PM »
Most of your Major PF guns are 1911's or double-stack variants. You got to figure that since the gun was first designed to shoot 0.45" dia bullets that the barrel exterior is rather large. So that when you bore that same barrel for a tiny 9x19, you probably have more steel wrapped around that chamber than in any other pistol.

When these type accidents happen, those all-metal 1911's can be a real life saver.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 02:38:03 PM »
I'm glad he was ok and happy to hear he handled it well.
I always hate to hear of those types of things.
Thank you for being an RO what you do is needed and admirable.

Now If you are finished unload and show clear...????

RCG
What I lack in speed , I make up for with inaccuracy

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 05:02:32 AM »
Ouch, glad to hear the kid is OK. :o I am to the point of obsessive/compulsive about checking powder levels in my reloads, but even so I had one squib years and years ago. It happens.

Offline Matt101

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 07:27:31 AM »
I?m unaware of any powder that would allow you to double charge a 9mm case when loading to Major and not overflow.

Probably hard to do with .38 Super as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 12:23:20 PM »
I?m unaware of any powder that would allow you to double charge a 9mm case when loading to Major and not overflow.

Probably hard to do with .38 Super as well

Good thought. Probably an under-fill leaving the bullet lodged in the barrel.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong

Offline Bossgobbler

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2019, 06:09:25 PM »
All 9 major rounds are overcharged with slow burning powder!  Bullet setback is not likely as a 9 major round is a compressed load to start with.  Most likely he had a squib or a round that was loaded by mistake with a faster burning powder using a 9 major load powder charge.

Offline tdogg

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 11:03:15 AM »
Like I said it could have been a squib but we didn't hear it if it was.

I wish we could have taken the time to investigate what happened.   

Even a picture of the gun would be nice to see now thinking back.   The optic was destroyed, the top of the ejection port was deformed upwards, and the chamber was also deformed upward.

I wonder if someone was recording his run on the stage?   That would be telling too see the video of the event.

All I can say is that when it went boom, it sounded like a jug of tannerite went off.  And this was a loud compensated open gun that you felt when firing.

Cheers,
Toby

Offline shootingsight

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 11:03:17 AM »
Squib makes no sense on a semi automatic, as the squib would not have cycled the slide.  So on a squib, there would have been a pause where he had to manually cycle the slide.

Edited: Wow, not 30 seconds after posting this I scrolled down and read another thread on squibs, where several posters mentioned that they HAD had squibs with enough pressure to cycle the slide.  So I'm wrong.  I have had two in my life, neither cycled the action.  Once, as a new shooter with commercial ammo in a 32ACP that did NOT cycle the slide.  A new round chambered when I racked the slide, and I was set to pull the trigger when my buddy yelled at me to stop.  Second time in a Garand where I was hand loading.  Guy next to me shot at exactly the same time, so I did not hear the pop, I also did not see that it was only a case that ejected - it was the middle of a match, and I assumed it had rolled under the mat of the guy next to me.  Luckily on that one, the next round did not chamber.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 11:12:56 AM by shootingsight »

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 11:13:00 AM »
Not always.  I?ve had a squib where the gun went back into battery - but knew something was off before pulling the trigger again. 

It was VERY close though.  I shoot fast while performing drills, but it was luckily timed right when I was moving to another target, which gave my old slow brain time to process what I felt, and caused me to pause long enough to investigate.

anything