Author Topic: Stuck flat metal Mec Gar base plates  (Read 1560 times)

Offline toteone

Stuck flat metal Mec Gar base plates
« on: May 24, 2019, 02:10:18 PM »
I had ordered several Mec Gar mags for my P01 and they work great.  Only problem is I shoot 4/5 matches a month and after repeated drops to the ground I cannot slide plates off.  Even tried grabbing with pliers.  I guess the lips of plates are so compressed around base of mag due to so many drops that they are stuck.
Any suggestions for removing?  Magazines are only about 8 mos old and need to be cleaned.  I also need suggestions for new base pads if I am able to remove the thin metal pads,
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 05:18:34 PM by toteone »

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
Re: Stuck flat metal Mec Gar base plates
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 09:33:54 PM »
Try supporting the Mag Tube in a Bench Block or over the edge of the Bench / Counter
Insert a Punch through the Catch Hole in the Base and try hitting the Punch with a Mallet to drive off the Base
Then replace the Metal Bases with these:
http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/273199000850_7585--Rubber-Mag-Base-Pad
Or some of Joe's (75plus) Stainless Bases
Hope this helps
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline no.vale.la.pena

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 11:44:38 AM »
The mec gar base plates on the 14rd mages are their Achilles heel when it comes to hard usage - although you can't get anything lower profile for concealed carry as far as I know so I still think they serve a purpose there. 

I would second DenStinett's suggestion on using the rubber base plates.  They are going to be the most cost effective and, in my experience, stand up well to competition usage, especially at indoor matches where mags smash into the concrete pretty forcibly. 

For removing the stuck plates I had some success putting mine in vice (light amount of compression on the vice) and flatting out the edges using a wooden mallet which helped loosen out the the spring steel base pads warping around the tabs of the magazine body - which causes this stuck issue. 

Also, for concealed carry, I really like the CGW aluminum base pads.  They are quite aethestically pleasing and well made, imho, but are too pricey for me to run on all my comp mags so I have no data on how they would hold up to abuse - I imagine just some scratching and marring. 

The Guardian

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 09:15:22 PM »
The CZ Rubber Base pads will not allow the Mecgar mags to fully seat.  The spacing is different on the base plates between CZ Factory Mags and the Mecgar Mags.  Its small difference but enough so the mag will not go up enough to engage/lock the mag place.  The only fix for the Mecgar 14rd mags is another metal base plate..... ???

I would just suggest getting the CZ Factory 14rd mags w/rubber base pads or Mecgar makes a 15rd mag with the plastic base pads for about $26 vs $40 for CZ mags.  The plastic base pads can be replaced if need be with new ones from Mecgar. See link below for the various options....

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-factory-mecgar-actmag-c-173/

« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 09:22:49 PM by The Guardian »

Offline viking499

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 10:12:56 PM »
The CZ Rubber Base pads will not allow the Mecgar mags to fully seat.  The spacing is different on the base plates between CZ Factory Mags and the Mecgar Mags.  Its small difference but enough so the mag will not go up enough to engage/lock the mag place.  The only fix for the Mecgar 14rd mags is another metal base plate..... ???

I would just suggest getting the CZ Factory 14rd mags w/rubber base pads or Mecgar makes a 15rd mag with the plastic base pads for about $26 vs $40 for CZ mags.  The plastic base pads can be replaced if need be with new ones from Mecgar. See link below for the various options....

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-factory-mecgar-actmag-c-173/

My MecGar mags seat fine with the rubber base pad that I added.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 11:42:29 AM »
Mine do as well

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 10:57:16 PM »
.....I really like the CGW aluminum base pads.  They are quite aesthetically pleasing and well made, imho, but are too pricey....

FYI
The design of CGW Base Pads were "borrowed" from both Joe (75plus) and Vern (VernDog)
It'd be nice if David would acknowledge that now-and-again
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=55998.msg353786#msg353786
https://cajungunworks.com/product/nickel-plated-billet-magazine-base/
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline no.vale.la.pena

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 07:27:16 PM »
Just another data point chiming in.  I run the rubber base pads on 4 different mec gar 14 rd mags that I use regularly for IDPA and I have had no issues with them not fully seating on three different compact guns.  So I am not sure what issue "The Guardian" was experiencing, maybe an anomaly with out of spec parts?

The Guardian

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 11:40:34 PM »
Gents I?m going to fall on the sword this time....it was the mecgar 15rd mags that had that issue not the 14rd...my humblist apologies to all  :-\ 

Offline no.vale.la.pena

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 08:09:58 PM »
Gents I?m going to fall on the sword this time....it was the mecgar 15rd mags that had that issue not the 14rd...my humblist apologies to all  :-\ 

No worries! Glad the confusion was cleared up. On that note anyone know any alternate basepads that work with the mec-gar 15s?