Author Topic: New to me Kadet II Kit  (Read 579 times)

Offline Rock-it3

New to me Kadet II Kit
« on: June 02, 2019, 07:42:08 PM »
I picked up a 2017 manufactured Kadet II kit from another forum I frequent, at a really good price (the kind of price you could buy a new one at half-a-dozen years ago, but those days are past). As you can see. it included 4 magazines, and the LPA adjustable rear sight (do they all have these?).

The classified mentioned that the finish was a bit boogered up, and if you look closely at the image, you can see the finish is scratched through from filing the "wings" to fit the host frame. The previous owner may have been a bit too aggressive, and not quite careful enough while filing. The "wings" are a bit rounded-off, and the file was probably too aggressive for this kind of fine fitting work Maybe that is the reason for the good price, but after inspecting it, I decided to purchase anyway. The price was too good to pass up based on some cosmetic damage. I buy guns to shoot, not for display. A little touch-up paint will at least hide and protect the exposed metal.

As soon as I got home with it, I checked the fit in both host frames I have for it, a 75B Semi-Compact in bone-stock condition (my daily carry), and an 85B that has been worked on by CZ Custom. The barrel lug seems to fit both frames nicely, with minimal play, while the "wings" fit both frames with a bit more slop than is necessary, which allows some movement of the fixed part of the slide when installed. I don't know how this affects accuracy, or even if it does. I wonder if it is possible to apply epoxy, or carefully add some metal to the "wings", and re-file to fit better, since this part of the slide doesn't actually move once it is installed.

I took it to the range on Saturday, along with both host pistols. The CZ Custom-worked 85B has a 13# mainspring, and I experienced several failures to fire in each magazine full. Every one fired on a second strike, but it was not fun. I think I had one or two stovepipes with that frame, also. On the 75B S-C, I put at least 100 rounds through, and had 2 or 3 failures to fire, which all fired on the second try but I also had a significant number (maybe 8-10) stovepipes or failures to fully eject, leaving the spent brass on the slide while trying to feed another round, causing a complete stoppage requiring dropping the mag to clear.

So, I am excited to finally have a Kadet, but, I am off to the Kadet reliability threads to see what I need to do to be able to enjoy it.

Offline canthelpit

Re: New to me Kadet II Kit
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 09:19:43 PM »
Congrats on getting the Kadet Kit.  Once you get it sorted, you'll be happy you got it.

Try changing the hammer spring up from 13 lb. to stock and see how the 85 runs.  Kadet kits work best with stock
hammer springs, and 13# is too light.

What ammo were you using in the S-C?  You could have a look at this thread: "The Original CZ Forum ? CZ PISTOL CLUBS ? CZF KADET KLUB (Moderator: jwc007) ? Kadet ammo report" for info on ammo that works well with Kadet.  If you're using cheap bulk ammo, that may contribute to your problems. 

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 07:49:57 PM »
Hey Rock-it3
Nice purchase: A KADET plus 4 Mags at 2015 prices ?    very nice !

I wouldn't worry a bit about your KADET's accuracy or Finish for that matter !
Fitment of the Upper to the Frame will NOT adversely affect accuracy in any way
You'll notice that the Sights are (in a way) fixed to the Barrel, in very much the same way the sights are fixed to the Barrel on a Ruger Mk???

You can solve your Stovepipes by follow this thread:
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=7863.0

As Canthelpit stated; Beefing=up the Hammer Spring can / will solved all your "Lite Strike" FTFire issues

Yes: The KADET comes with the LPA (style) FA Rear Sights
A lot of KADET Owner have added the FO Front Sights
So tell me again how Trump will be worse then the last 8 years !

Offline Rock-it3

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 10:38:21 PM »
Congrats on getting the Kadet Kit.  Once you get it sorted, you'll be happy you got it.

Try changing the hammer spring up from 13 lb. to stock and see how the 85 runs.  Kadet kits work best with stock
hammer springs, and 13# is too light.

What ammo were you using in the S-C?  You could have a look at this thread: "The Original CZ Forum ? CZ PISTOL CLUBS ? CZF KADET KLUB (Moderator: jwc007) ? Kadet ammo report" for info on ammo that works well with Kadet.  If you're using cheap bulk ammo, that may contribute to your problems.

Thanks canthelpit. I knew the 13# would be trouble with the 85, but tried it anyway to see how much trouble. I am undecided on the spring swap, but will ponder it a while.

I used Federl Automatch, Federal Gameshok, CCI Standard Velocity, and Remington Thunderbolts, all 40 gr. All were about the same with failure to fire and ejection.

Offline Rock-it3

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 10:44:11 PM »
Hey Rock-it3
Nice purchase: A KADET plus 4 Mags at 2015 prices ?    very nice !

I wouldn't worry a bit about your KADET's accuracy or Finish for that matter !
Fitment of the Upper to the Frame will NOT adversely affect accuracy in any way
You'll notice that the Sights are (in a way) fixed to the Barrel, in very much the same way the sights are fixed to the Barrel on a Ruger Mk???

You can solve your Stovepipes by follow this thread:
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=7863.0

As Canthelpit stated; Beefing=up the Hammer Spring can / will solved all your "Lite Strike" FTFire issues

Yes: The KADET comes with the LPA (style) FA Rear Sights
A lot of KADET Owner have added the FO Front Sights

Thanks Den. It was a deal I could not pass up! I thought about the accuracy in relation to the fit, and decided the same thing as you mention. With the sights fixed to the non-moving barrel, the over-zealous filing of the wings shouldn't make a noticeable difference.

I already filed the ejector as described in the thread you posted, which I found last night. I haven't shot it since filing, but based on that thread, I am hopeful it fixes the issue. I can't quite believe CZ has not addressed this in 18 years. That thread was started in 2001!!

Offline canthelpit

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 11:37:27 AM »
You might want to try some higher velocity ammo.  Lots of folks use Mini-Mags (1235 fps).  My favorite ammo right now is Aquila Super Extras (1255 fps).
They work very well in my Kadet.  I've seen some folks say that Kadet kits aren't fussy about ammo, but I'm not so sure.  I ran a box of something (sorry,
don't remember what) through it and it would barely function.  Also, it may be obvious, but is the Kadet Kit clean? 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 11:56:57 AM by canthelpit »

Offline Rock-it3

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 06:28:27 PM »
You might want to try some higher velocity ammo.  Lots of folks use Mini-Mags (1235 fps).  My favorite ammo right now is Aquila Super Extras (1255 fps).
They work very well in my Kadet.  I've seen some folks say that Kadet kits aren't fussy about ammo, but I'm not so sure.  I ran a box of something (sorry,
don't remember what) through it and it would barely function.  Also, it may be obvious, but is the Kadet Kit clean?

Are you suggesting the higher velocity to help with ejection? I will shoot it more with what I have, since I filed the ejector. I am expecting success from that. Yep, it was a bit dirty when I picked it up, so I cleaned it before shooting. I use light oil on the moving parts, and wipe it pretty dry, so I don't think anything is slowing the slide movement. I need to disassemble and clean the magazines, and take any rough edges off the followers. I might just start that tonight. I hope to shoot it again this weekend.

Offline sberres

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 07:37:12 PM »
  One of the principal reasons I like the Kadet so much is that it is so reliable across such a spectrum of ammo, especially the cheap stuff and bulk stuff. I have a hard time even finding mini mag at my local sporting goods supplier and I simply refuse to pay nearly double what I can get by the brick or bucket if it?ll shoot it just fine. The only one I?ve had noticeable issues with was federal champion. ( and others have no prob with that and nothing but problems with rem gb)  Everything else, including other federal types, run at >99%. If I have to clean more often or have more leading issues, I can deal with it.
  The Kadet is by no means prone to jamming once you get the ejector tweaked. It delivers fine accuracy and good reliability with cheap ammo, not-so-cheap ammo, standard velocity, high velocity, hyper velocity.  How much more can you ask of a 22 lr auto pistol. Wait, what?, it feels just like your favorite 9mm and has the same trigger and control feel?!  Yeah!  I hope you find it adds a whole new dimension to your CZ game.
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.
SB

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 09:23:55 PM »
  One of the principal reasons I like the Kadet so much is that it is so reliable across such a spectrum of ammo, especially the cheap stuff and bulk stuff.....
I run Federal Bulk thru my KADET and it has run (near) flawlessly
Can't ever say a 22 Semi Auto will run 100% every outing ..... that'll never happen
I steer clear of Remington and Winchester 22 lr's
Remingtons have a weak Crimp and Winchesters are just plane dirty .... the dirtiest Round out there
Keep a "BoreSnak with your KADET and run it thru every few hundred Rounds
And brush the Breach Face too, to clear away any fowling from the Extractor and Firingpin Hole
22s are so darned dirty
Now that you're armed with all this info ..... go out and have a blast with your new KADET
So tell me again how Trump will be worse then the last 8 years !

Offline Gator89

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 04:33:21 PM »
Blazer 22lr, buy it often and stack it high.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline Rock-it3

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 08:46:31 PM »
  One of the principal reasons I like the Kadet so much is that it is so reliable across such a spectrum of ammo, especially the cheap stuff and bulk stuff.....
I run Federal Bulk thru my KADET and it has run (near) flawlessly
Can't ever say a 22 Semi Auto will run 100% every outing ..... that'll never happen
I steer clear of Remington and Winchester 22 lr's
Remingtons have a weak Crimp and Winchesters are just plane dirty .... the dirtiest Round out there
Keep a "BoreSnak with your KADET and run it thru every few hundred Rounds
And brush the Breach Face too, to clear away any fowling from the Extractor and Firingpin Hole
22s are so darned dirty
Now that you're armed with all this info ..... go out and have a blast with your new KADET

I intend to!

Offline Rock-it3

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 08:15:35 PM »
I made a quick trip to the range to test the ejection after filing the ejector as described in the ejection fix thread. I shot 160 rounds (4 mags X 4 times each).Result = ZERO ejection issues or jams!! Awesome, quick fix (about 5 minutes, start-to-finish) to improve reliability and enjoyment.

Unfortunately, the light strike issue persists.  I used only the 75 Semi-Compact frame, since the 85B has the 13# mainspring, but probably experienced 25% light strikes, requiring 2 or 3 trigger pulls (mostly 2), using Federal Automatch, Remington Thunderbolts, and Remington Golden Bullet. I forgot to grab a box of CCI standard velocity. When I got home, I cleaned the firing pin channel and hole. The channel didn't seem too dirty, but there may have been a buildup of gunk around the hole. I will try for another range trip next weekend to see if there is an improvement. I know I have not put a lighter spring in the 75, but I am not sure about the previous owner. Maybe I need to pick up some new springs to be sure.

Anyway, I am happy about the ejection, and I know the light strikes can be fixed, so things are going the right direction. Also, although I wasn't shooting for accuracy, it seems to be fine in that department. I put 10 rounds inside a 2" box at 15 yards, offhand. And I am rusty.

Offline sberres

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 10:00:04 AM »
I pretty rarely experience light strikes and I think my Kadet is from 17 as well. Original spring on my 75b and who-knows-what on either of the pre-b frames. I did find during a recent FP channel cleaning that there was a lot of gunk left after brushing and typical cleaning methods. I carefully took a pick to the FP hole and was amazed at what was left. It?s a pretty small opening to get stuff thru. I finally went and found a pipe cleaner and I?m not even sure that went all the way thru. 
  So jet some carb cleaner in there, pick it, and swab with a pipe cleaner and then see what happens.  I?d also found originally that ignoring this area (it seemed fine) led to a sticky return of the FP and I nearly lost the retainer plate! Fortunately it got caught and caused a hang up. Moral of the story is that this area can not be ignored during cleaning if .22 is to be reliable; it just traps so much grime in normal operation.
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.
SB

anything