Author Topic: Blued revolvers and Hi-tek bullets  (Read 200 times)

Offline lewmed

• 240th AHC Viet Nam 1967-1968
Blued revolvers and Hi-tek bullets
« on: June 06, 2019, 01:19:30 PM »
 I've been shooting Bayou bullets hi-tek coated bullets for several years in my pistols and stainless steel revolvers and have found them to be accurate and clean shooting. A couple weeks ago I loaded up some 44 spl for one of my old blue S&W revolvers and found them very accurate but they left deposits on the cylinder. The sooty brown coating left on the side of the cylinder and flutes that wipes off after shooting lead is stuck like glue after shooting the coated bullets. Any ideas what I can use to remove it and not damage the blue ? the soot on the inside of the frame and cylinder crane came off but the stuff on the cylinder is baked on.

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: Blued revolvers and Hi-tek bullets
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 03:58:00 PM »
It acts as if it's glued on with cleaners like CLP, Birchwood-Casey and RemOil, but if you'll revert back to the old standby Hoppes #9 it dissolves after a couple of easy wipe downs. Pour it on the cloth and liberally wipe the cylinder with that stuff on a soft cloth.

You'll never get the front face of the cylinder back to perfect, but the flutes will look brand new again.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong

Offline lewmed

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 02:56:32 PM »
 My Hoppes #9 had no affect on the deposits at all after soaking overnight no way to tell how old the solvent is it's in a glass 16 oz. bottle.  I'll buy a fresh bottle and give it a try. Dennis at Bayou bullets said to try N-methylpyrrolidine solvent but I can't find that stuff anywhere.

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 03:14:50 PM »
My Hoppes is about 10 years old, but it's in a plastic bottle and does the trick on my 2 blued revolvers.

I've stopped shooting a lot of lead bullets and things sure are cleaner. I don't miss it at all. I'm sending all my stocks of lead bullets to Armoredman for final disposition.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong

Offline lewmed

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 02:17:19 PM »
 Hi-Tek bullets have been working well for me in my 44 spl. 44 mag. 45 colt and 45 auto loads until I started shooting this one S&W revolver. I think the 240 WC bullet I'm using is a little oversized the chambers on that 44 spl. cylinder measure .4285" and the bullets are .431" I might try sizing a few down to .429" and see if I get fewer deposits.