Author Topic: Anybody use a LabRadar chronograph ?  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Anybody use a LabRadar chronograph ?
« on: June 09, 2019, 09:30:12 PM »
I've got bad light issues on my range. I've tried 3 separate days to get readings on test ammo this week, all to no avail. Out of 15 shots I got one reading of 465fps !! Huh ?

Anyway I'm considering a LabRadar. But then I saw it was from Canada. I had a bad experience with my Chrony (this was before Painter shot it) not in operation, but in how the menus worked. The menus were so cryptic that I had to get the manual out with every operating session.

None of the info on the web shows the menus in detail and how you activate it. They all talk about the operation, and I'm sold on that part.

In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
Re: Anybody use a LabRadar chronograph ?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 10:23:16 PM »
My only experience with lab radar is getting chrono'd at matches.   It seems that they struggle to get the unit to pick up shots too.  Their tested velocity seems to line up with my Caldwell chrono in the end.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This forum rocks!

Offline aasbra

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 10:51:48 PM »
I picked up a LabRadar last winter.  Like it so far.  Since I don?t get to the range as often as I like, I do forget how to navigate the menus and need to refer to the manual or quick start guide at times.  The menus and navigation could be more intuitive, but once you figure it out, it?s not too bad. 

I downloaded the app on my iPhone and find it easier to navigate/control some functions that way, but find the app sometimes freezes up on my phone.  Also went with an external battery pack, and a slick folding aluminum base/mount a guy makes so it still fits in the carrying case.  Check out some YouTube videos, there were some that did a decent job hitting the highlights of the labradar in operation.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 11:37:23 AM »
I understand about the active "cone" of sensory area, and the need for the round to enter that cone as closely as possible.

I can see how you position a rifle barrel just in front of the unit, but what's the best way with handguns ? If the pistol is behind, then there is muzzle blast that could shake or topple the unit. If a revolver is beside the unit, then it will get the sideways blast from the cylinder gap.

I ask this because, apparently, it's not good for the person to be in front of the unit. I haven't quite figured out if this is for health or movement reasons. I have worked in the radar and microwave industry for 20+ years and am aware of the safety precautions.

Thanks all.

Offline aasbra

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 12:30:48 PM »
I set the unit up positioned as shown in the instructions, next to the muzzle.  If the unit is positioned and aimed properly, I have only had trouble reading shots fired from a weapon with a suppressor.  I haven?t fiddled with the positioning too much yet in this application, and I have (but have not yet used) the airgun adapter that is supposed to help for suppressors, maybe 22lr also?  I don?t think that I have tried the LabRadar with a 22lr yet.

Offline aasbra

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 12:35:27 PM »
Here are a few pages out of the quick setup guide that came with the unit.

[Mods resized photos]
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 02:16:57 PM by Wobbly »

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 02:41:41 PM »
Now that is really useful. Thank you so much.

My range was cut into the crest of a hill by a front-end loader, so trees line the sides and are fairly close in. I got to study that "No" picture on the second page. I doubt the cut is 10M wide. And 25M (~81 ft) suggested length is also a tough one because my range is all planned around 35 ft distance for steel. I can get in 50 ft, but I have to walk down hill. My line of sight becomes co-planar with the  "floor" of the range at about 55 ft.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, test No.5 of the same dang loads failed again at noon today. Light was considered "perfect" with high, brightly lit, solid overcast with no shading.

:P

Offline aasbra

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 02:54:34 PM »
If I were close by, I would offer to meet up with you at your range so you could try it out there.  But unfortunately, I?m a long way from GA. 

My range is pretty open, but there are some concrete and wood pillars that support baffles elevated over the various ranges to try and prevent an accidental discharge from leaving the range, I haven?t noticed them causing an issue that I am aware of (but maybe they are farther away than the 5 meters).

Offline SoCal

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 06:00:43 PM »
I use mine at an indoor range with a max distance of 75 feet, 8 ' ceilings and 8 lanes wide.  It has served me well with a few challenges.

Still better than driving 1 hour to an outdoor range only to find too much wind, light, etc. and then an hour drive home with little or nothing.  So the satisfaction  "bar" was set pretty low.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 11:11:12 PM by SoCal »
If I had known how much better being retired is than working I would have done it FIRST.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 10:13:58 PM »
If I were close by, I would offer to meet up with you at your range so you could try it out there.  But unfortunately, I?m a long way from GA. 

I would drive 500 miles for you.  O0

I use mine at an indoor range with a max distance of 75 feet, 8 ' ceilings and 8 lanes wide.  It has served me will with a few challenges.

Now that is worth knowing. Thanks.

Offline Clint007

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 02:43:48 PM »
Wobbly, I have one and it works very well for me. It does have a somewhat less than intuitive interface, and I have the manual in the case for that reason. It misses the occasional shot but when it does, it's obvious.  What i have not done is compare it's velocities side-by-side with another chrono. Our club also uses it for match chrono-ing.   What I really like is that I can go to my indoor range and confirm my pistol loads.

It goes thru batteries like crazy so I have a rechargeable USB-output power unit (for running a laptop, recharging phones, etc) that I mainly use.   But it will run on AAs you just need to have a lot if you plan a long day at the range with it.

C
Temere phrase latine usus sum ut magna canetis

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 05:57:36 PM »
It goes thru batteries like crazy so I have a rechargeable USB-output power unit (for running a laptop, recharging phones, etc) that I mainly use.   But it will run on AAs you just need to have a lot if you plan a long day at the range with it.

Clint -
As it turns out, the external battery pack is an attractive feature for me. One reason my ProChrono was having difficulty was a low battery. (No "Low Battery" indicator.  :( ) So, the only option with most any chrono is to keep a pile of batteries around because they all operate on 9V. It appears LabRadar is the only chrono that works on a voltage other than 9V, and thus the only one that accepts external power.

I see that LabRadar sells their own external battery pack. And one review inferred it had to be that particular battery pack. But if it goes in through a Mini-USB, then it would almost need to accept ANY phone charging battery pack.

So please tell me about your external power pack. Is it the official LabRadar pack, or a generic lithium battery ?

Offline Clint007

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 06:17:25 PM »

Clint -
As it turns out, the external battery pack is an attractive feature for me. One reason my ProChrono was having difficulty was a low battery. (No "Low Battery" indicator.  :( ) So, the only option with most any chrono is to keep a pile of batteries around because they all operate on 9V. It appears LabRadar is the only chrono that works on a voltage other than 9V, and thus the only one that accepts external power.

I see that LabRadar sells their own external battery pack. And one review inferred it had to be that particular battery pack. But if it goes in through a Mini-USB, then it would almost need to accept ANY phone charging battery pack.

So please tell me about your external power pack. Is it the official LabRadar pack, or a generic lithium battery ?

Mine was a generic rechargeable unit from Best Buy.  They use the standard jacks as you suggested.   Wouldn?t pay a premium for one just because it says LabRadar on the side.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Temere phrase latine usus sum ut magna canetis

Offline aasbra

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 07:06:22 PM »
I also use an external battery pack I picked up on Amazon.  It specs out similar to the one marketed by LabRadar, but was less $.  It had good user ratings, and after an initial charge earlier this year, it still shows over half charged on the indicator lights on the pack, after probably 4-5 range outings, running the unit for an hour or two each trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skin

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 05:05:45 PM »
 What is going to be the primary use ? Pistol, rifle, small caliber ? I too have a crony. Like you said, the menu stinks. I looked at the lab radar, but setup is critical and small caliber seems to be problematic. I shoot small calibers quite a bit. I ended up buying a magnetospeed for all my rifle stuff and keeping the crony for my pistol shooting.

anything