Author Topic: Need some help - Obsidian 45, barrel nut removal, etc  (Read 2043 times)

Offline ItsRainingLead

Need some help - Obsidian 45, barrel nut removal, etc
« on: June 12, 2019, 03:16:12 PM »
Ordered my Obsidian 45 a year ago, stamp finally came and I'm a bit lost on the ideal current solution to mount. I had done a lot of research at the time, but that was a year ago. I have a gen 1 Scorpion Evo pistol and a carbine length hand-guard sitting around that I had ready to go. I'm needing to pull the existing hand-guard off - so the plan was to use the HB industries carbine barrel nut tool so I could both loosen the barrel nut in pistol form and tighten it in carbine form. However, HB says the pistol is 21mm an the carbine is 20mm? Do I need both tools? Also, mounting the suppressor. I had planned on using a three lug of some sort. With that in mind, I am needing the Obsidian 45 3 lug adapter and a 3 lug barrel attachment. I think I read a while back about fitment issues and potential baffle strikes with certain 3 lug combinations. Is there a preferred, working combination at this point? Thanks.

Offline Rex Kramer

Re: Need some help - Obsidian 45, barrel nut removal, etc
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 09:25:01 PM »
I have a carbine length hand guard pistol with with a Obsidian 9 attached via a three lug.

The barrel nut that holds the handguards on has the 1/2 x 28 threads and I used an inleadwetrust (https://inleadwetrust.com/product/hk-style-extended-base-3-lug-suppressor-adapter-2/) 3lug screwed onto that. Tried the 3lug adapter from rugged and it works great.

If you don't have the 1/2 x 28 threads and only the 18x1 this 3lug extension should work:  https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/3-Lug-Adapter-For-CZ-Scorpion-Evo-p17616.htm

I haven't heard anything bad about either the ILWT or the HK parts tri-lugs

FWIW ILWT also makes a 3lug flash cone that is nice to have on the carbine length handguard pistol in case you want to shoot the thing without the suppressor on it.  https://inleadwetrust.com/product/tri-lug-flash-cone/

I have the HKpart one that I'm not using if you want to go that route.

Offline ItsRainingLead

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 09:29:47 PM »
Thanks for the help Rex. Now just to find some poor schmuck in DFW that can help me get the barrel nut off. I had wrist surgery last month and trivial things have suddenly become much more difficult.

Offline Rex Kramer

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 09:50:13 PM »
It was a bitch, but I managed to brute force it off with a socket wrench. Those Czechs love them some loctite!

Offline Rex Kramer

Need some help - Obsidian 45, barrel nut removal, etc
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 09:52:52 PM »
Tried to grab a couple of pix of the set up but the hand guard makes it difficult to see.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:56:55 PM by Rex Kramer »

Offline ItsRainingLead

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 10:07:58 AM »
It was a bitch, but I managed to brute force it off with a socket wrench. Those Czechs love them some loctite!

Does the barrel nut not go back on with the carbine handguard?

Offline Rex Kramer

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 02:00:05 PM »

Does the barrel nut not go back on with the carbine handguard?

Yes it does. There is a spacer and barrel nut that will go back on the barrel and that secures the hand guards. If you go with an aftermarket fore end like Midwest industries or HBI you won?t be using the original barrel nut.

I then used a ILWT 3lug mount which was screwed onto the 1/2 x 28 threads on the end of the barrel. Because it?s buried down in the hand guard I used a 3lug socket adapter to screw it down tight.

The suppressor mounts to the three lug extension from ILWT with the 3lug adapter.

If you have only the 18 x 1 threads on your barrel and not the 1/2 x 28 you should be able to use that three lug extension from HKparts and that will tighten down to hold the hand guards in place. I think...

Offline OpusXJ

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 07:30:02 PM »
You'll need to use the carbine barrel nut with the carbine handguard, a 21mm deep socket will work to tighten it onto a pistol barrel. Since your gen 1 barrel only has 18x1 threads you'll need an 18x1 3 lug mount, I think HK parts is the only game in town for that, or run your silencer direct thread on the 18x1 threads.

The pistol barrel nut is only accessible with a 20mm open end wrench, adjustable wrench or a barrel nut tool designed for the EVO pistol.

Offline Rex Kramer

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 04:08:12 AM »
You'll need to use the carbine barrel nut with the carbine handguard, a 21mm deep socket will work to tighten it onto a pistol barrel. Since your gen 1 barrel only has 18x1 threads you'll need an 18x1 3 lug mount, I think HK parts is the only game in town for that, or run your silencer direct thread on the 18x1 threads.

The pistol barrel nut is only accessible with a 20mm open end wrench, adjustable wrench or a barrel nut tool designed for the EVO pistol.

Thanks for clarifying that btw. I didn?t realize the pistol barrel nut was different than the carbine one.

Offline dek

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 03:31:11 PM »
"I have the HKpart one that I'm not using if you want to go that route."

Rex:  If you have both 1/2x28 and 13x1 available is one preferable to the other?

Offline FALer

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 10:59:13 PM »
I also use an In lead we trust 3 lug with an Obsidian 45 on my Lone Wolf G9 SBR. Never and issue. 

Offline Asylum9

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 12:04:16 PM »
Cz sell the carbine barrel nut if you didn't receive one with your rifle handguard. There both internally threaded the same, just take different sockets.
ApIII%

anything