Author Topic: slide difference between SP-01 Tac and Phantom  (Read 3062 times)

Offline eastman

slide difference between SP-01 Tac and Phantom
« on: June 23, 2019, 08:40:49 PM »
The common description of the SP-01 Phantom is that it is a polymer framed SP-01 Tactical.

I have 2 SP-01 Tacticals (.40 & 9x19), a Phantom and a second Phantom slide. The SP-01 Tac slides fit all of the frames interchangeably. The Phantom slides only fit the Phantom frame (stops about halfway when trying to attach). Although the guide rods and springs interchange, the end of the slide with the tunnel for the recoil spring is wider on the Phantom.

Has anyone tried machining a Phantom slide to fit an SP-01? The second Phantom slide will be milled for the Holosun 507c once the green version is available. I was hoping to use it on an SP-01 frame, but the Phantom frame is looking like the only option to wear it.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Tok36

Re: slide difference between SP-01 Tac and Phantom
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 09:04:31 PM »
I went through something similar recently adapting a 75 SA frame to a Tac Sport slide. My mind goes to altering the frame parts rather then the slide unless the rails are not fitting. Can you see what is stopping the Phantom slide from installing all the way? Is it catching on the slides/frames dust cover or the sear cage/ejector parts.

I am also interested to hear from other forum members on the subject.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline viking499

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 09:23:59 PM »
The problem is a slide and frame fit issue.  I forget which one is which, but one has a rounded corner and the other has a square corner that will either hit or not hit the inside edge of the frame around the dust cover. 

For some reason, I am thinking that if you slightly round or bevel the inside edge of the SP-01 frame, it will allow the Phantom slide to work.

Offline maleante

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 02:55:38 PM »
The problem is with the Phantom slide rails. There's a rounded bevel directly underneath the rails. That bevel contacts the frame preventing the slide to fit to the frame.

If the bevel is milled out on both sides of the slide, then the phantom slide will fit the 75 type frame.

I know of two people who have done this before and I have a brand new phantom slide that I'll be doing the same to in a couple months.

Both CZC and CGW have indicated that they would do the work.

That $300 SP01 tactical frame in the classifieds is tempting but I think I'll be going with the threaded tactical SP01 instead as a donor frame.

Offline maleante

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 03:02:41 PM »
This is NOT my picture. It belongs to BisonWorld on ar15.com

Offline viking499

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 07:00:35 PM »
Why could a person not, with a good file, file the square corner off on the inside of the frame to make room for the bevel of the Phantom slide to fit and work?  It would not affect the use or fit of the factory slide that matches the frame.

Offline maleante

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 09:47:20 PM »
Certainly one could choose to file on the frame and fit it that way. I think the outcome may be cleaner having it milled off the slide instead.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 01:30:40 AM »
BTW, BisonWorld is a member here, and sometimes floats through.
The Phantom is it's own beast, and I learned to embrace it.

Offline viking499

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 08:55:18 AM »
Certainly one could choose to file on the frame and fit it that way. I think the outcome may be cleaner having it milled off the slide instead.

It would definitely be more expensive.  10 minutes and good file and the problem should be solved.  Never see it on the frame and no need to refinish anything.

Offline eastman

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 10:18:00 PM »

It would definitely be more expensive.  10 minutes and good file and the problem should be solved.  Never see it on the frame and no need to refinish anything.

the slide will need to be re-finished anyways after it is milled to fit the GDS

Offline maleante

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 11:50:04 PM »

I was thinking about this the other day. After really looking at different 75 type frames and the phantom slide I'm now convinced that breaking the edge of the frame with a file is the easiest and cheapest option.

Offline maleante

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 11:36:37 AM »
Modifying the frame was the better choice, but is much more involved than simply chamforing the slide rails...

Offline maleante

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 11:46:20 AM »

I'll take your ten minutes and up you by 4 hours. And I'm still not 100% done with the fitting.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 01:29:50 PM »
 4 hours of fun!  ;D
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline eastman

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 09:29:02 PM »
If I continue this path (bought a spare P-07 slide to modify), I will have one slide modified instead of modifying 2 frames.

anything