Author Topic: A01 versus Shadow 2  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Pierce Koontz

A01 versus Shadow 2
« on: June 27, 2019, 06:28:18 PM »
I'm thinking about dumping my Shadow 2 for an A01.  I also own a TSO for reference.

That said, the Shadow 2 just isn't close enough to the feel of a CZ-75 frame for me.  I have always loved the feel of the CZ-75 frame the best, but a lack of real checkering was the deal-breaker.  And no, the cast checkering on the SP01 frame doesn't cut it.  I'm intrigued by the AO1's design based on the description that it was "the way Angus would have done it".  I'm hoping what that means is that Angus wasn't completely happy with the CZ-75 frame (like me) and decided to do something about it.  Something the Shadow 2 has failed to do.

For those of you lucky enough to hold an A01, can you elaborate?  I'm curious to know if it feels different than the Shadow 2, and whether or not it is closer to the feel of a CZ-75 frame, or the TSO frame.

Thank you

Offline WxGuy

Re: A01 versus Shadow 2
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 12:49:18 PM »

Offline 9mmsubgun-m11

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 07:03:21 PM »
Like you I have a TSO and decided to acquire an A01-LD after talking to Angus at the NRA convention in Indianapolis. The gun shoots great and fit and finish are excellent. My only dislike are the grips. The catalog states the A01 comes with aluminum grips with what looks to be a CZC logo. It arrived with grips made of delrin? I do not care for these at all as they are not comfortable-maybe I am becoming wimpy in my old age. I have emailed Angus about the possibility of the Custom Shop making anodized aluminum grips similar in pattern to the TSO grips. Waiting with fingers crossed they will make some.  P.S.-Angus was a hoot to shoot the breeze with at the CZC booth.
UZI DOES IT!

Offline TheTacticalPiper

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 09:54:21 AM »
I have the TSO, the TS, various SP01s and the A01-LD.

My take on the A01 grip is that it is similar to a slightly wider SP01 with a similar radius, but is much trippier due to the grip panels and checkering. I love the grip. The angle is identical, or at least close, to the TSO, so you could shoot them interchangeably.

Offline dbarn

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 08:59:44 AM »
Good review from an owner here:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/276010-ao1-ld-review/

"For those that are wondering, the A01-LD can use an SP-01 low profile slide stop. Mec-Gar 17 rd mags with Springer base pads seem to work very well. The gun does, with those mags, fit the production box (it's tight but it does). P-09 mags work as well as that's what comes with the gun. With an empty 17 rd Mec-Gar and a Springer base pad, the gun weights 51.4 oz. It feels very much like an SP-01 on steroids. It's a noticeable difference to a Shadow 2 and it definite feels heavier up front with the bull barrel. The fit and finish is standard CZ Custom excellent."

Count me as a fan of the SP-01 frame. I purchased a Shadow 2 and quickly got rid of it. For one the extended slide lock just simply did not work for my high hold grip. The SP-01 with it's ability to use the thin Rami Slide Stop does not interfere with my grip. I've read that a "low profile" slide stop is available in Europe for the Shadow 2, but for some reason CZ has not made it available stateside. Additionally I could not get comfortable with the trigger guard shape when gripping forward and around with my weak hand. To me the SP-01 trigger guard is about perfect. I did like the checkering on the Shadow 2 frame. The above statement looks promising to those of us who like SP-01 ergonomics.

anything