Author Topic: HBI's new Sapper Handgaurd...  (Read 1149 times)

Offline ShakyDog

HBI's new Sapper Handgaurd...
« on: June 28, 2019, 12:09:46 PM »
https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/cz-scorpion-pakse-sapper-handguard/

Surprised that I was the first to post about this...

I am torn, it looks good, but it also looks inexpensive. Not sure how well it would dissipate heat.
$49.99 in all of the available EVO colors.

Steve

Offline SilentRecon

Re: HBI's new Sapper Handgaurd...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 01:37:58 PM »

I am torn, it looks good, but it also looks inexpensive. Not sure how well it would dissipate heat.

Steve
Would you install a plastic rail on your AR15? Some people do.  Do you think that dingle berry hanging handstop can truly take abuse? This is a "Tapco" quality budget option for people. Not sure why they would even make this unless the Scorpion market is flooded with people who like cheap products. Nothing wrong with polymer products but there is a substantially better product for only a few dollars more. Pass!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline John A.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 03:00:57 PM »
I think it looks good.

I would Dremel the handstop though without question.  But that's just my opinion.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline johnzm

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 09:59:54 AM »

Steve
Would you install a plastic rail on your AR15? Some people do.  Do you think that dingle berry hanging handstop can truly take abuse? This is a "Tapco" quality budget option for people. Not sure why they would even make this unless the Scorpion market is flooded with people who like cheap products. Nothing wrong with polymer products but there is a substantially better product for only a few dollars more. Pass!

but the whole gun is plastic...

Offline SilentRecon

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 12:37:10 PM »
Yes I'm not a fan of more plastic. I'm not saying it wont work. If you had the choice of HBI aluminum rail or plastic, what would you choose? The aluminum is only a few dollars more but IMO stronger than its plastic counterpart and I'm not even going into that plastic handstop that would snap off in a second if you use your scorpion beyond range rental plinking. If that's how you shoot and want to save $30 and get a certain look, then by all means slap on more plastic.

Offline John A.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 12:52:16 PM »
The original handguard is plastic.  I don't recall seeing any of those broken.

When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline Asylum9

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 01:51:50 PM »
Hell the whole gun is plastic
ApIII%

Offline 3xternal

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 09:25:58 PM »
More options for a fantastic platform.

Offline kb377

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 04:46:00 PM »
I ordered a Sapper handguard and installed it a couple of days ago.

The FDE is pretty close to the original color. No issues with fit or install.

Only minor problem I encountered was that the M-Lok slots at the 6 o'clock position were out of spec. The side 3 and 9 o'clock slots measure .280", the 6 o'clock slots measure .260"...the M-Lok t-nuts on a couple of accessories  range between .267" and .271" wide. I had to file some material in order to get anything to fit and allow the t-nuts to turn and tighten.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 05:00:03 PM by kb377 »

Offline 3xternal

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 07:25:08 PM »
The MLOK holes on the underside look rough. Did it come that way?

Offline st381183

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 07:32:19 PM »

Steve

Angry much?  I bought one because I really didn’t like the metal and polymer together.  Personal preference on this firearm.  Doesn’t mean I’m cheap and doesn’t mean this is of poor quality. It rivals the OEM handguard and looks sharp to boot.  If it breaks in my next operational operation while operating as an operator I will only be put $50 and I’ll throw the OEM angled handguard back on.

Offline SilentRecon

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 08:57:34 PM »

Steve

Angry much?  I bought one because I really didn’t like the metal and polymer together.  Personal preference on this firearm.  Doesn’t mean I’m cheap and doesn’t mean this is of poor quality. It rivals the OEM handguard and looks sharp to boot.  If it breaks in my next operational operation while operating as an operator I will only be put $50 and I’ll throw the OEM angled handguard back on.
Yes probably not enough coffee or too much I don't remember. I'm cool now. It's a better design than factory and priced right if it fails no big deal. I like all innovation whatever fits your budget or build at the end of the day. I still not sold on that handstop but probably will work for most

Offline kb377

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2019, 01:50:56 AM »
The MLOK holes on the underside look rough. Did it come that way?

It did not. The slots weren't wide enough for the M-Lok nuts to pass through...

Only minor problem I encountered was that the M-Lok slots at the 6 o'clock position were out of spec. The side 3 and 9 o'clock slots measure .280", the 6 o'clock slots measure .260"...the M-Lok t-nuts on a couple of accessories  range between .267" and .271" wide. I had to file some material in order to get anything to fit and allow the t-nuts to turn and tighten.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 10:38:33 AM by kb377 »

Offline ksuchewie

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2019, 02:13:52 PM »
Installed mine yesterday.  Everything had a smooth finish on it and appears to be well made.
I have not handled an aluminum made handguard for the scorpion so I cannot make a comparison.  Much better than the factory handguard though. 
I am not a fan of the hand stop, I wanted going to mount a light underneath at some point so I may take a dremel to it.

anything