Author Topic: Am I missing any trigger upgrade options?  (Read 2446 times)

Offline AUG41

Am I missing any trigger upgrade options?
« on: July 03, 2019, 11:50:21 PM »
I read about the shooting sight 2 stage, the HBI spring kit and the CZCustom single stage. Am I missing any others.

I am used to single stage triggers in my AR’s and AUG’s-so the CZC is a front runner in my selection.

Thanks for the help

Offline Asylum9

Re: Am I missing any trigger upgrade options?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 09:12:15 AM »
Franklin Armory has a binary trigger but other than that you've listed all that I've seen so far.
ApIII%

Offline AUG41

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 09:29:01 AM »
Oh yeah forgot about that one. Thanks!

Well considering my preference for a single stage looks like CZ Custom will be getting my money soon enough. Just have to YouTube the welded trigger pack a bit more and order the trigger. I did see a video on someone tuning the CZC trigger and I am quite intrigued by that.

Thanks again!

Offline shootingsight

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 01:21:31 AM »
If you want to split hairs, ShootingSight also sells their trigger spring as a 'standalone'.  Not as low as the HBI, but some people who are using in true tactical situations (ie the targets are shooting back), want a little heavier to counter the gallon of adrenaline that is in your system.

Offline 1000RR

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 04:47:59 PM »
I read about the shooting sight 2 stage, the HBI spring kit and the CZCustom single stage. Am I missing any others.

I am used to single stage triggers in my AR’s and AUG’s-so the CZC is a front runner in my selection.

Thanks for the help

I may be missing something here... which admittedly might not surprise me...  Isn't the stock trigger already a single stage?  The CZCustom trigger I see see online just looks like new sear, hammer, and trigger spring?  I suspect just better tolerances and lighter spring.   Maybe a little better finish (smoother too)?  I've taken my own stock trigger apart, spent the $8 or whatever HBI wanted, put in the lighter springs, and then polished up my trigger parts... and it is VERY smooth now, probably in the 5lb pull area (haven't put a gauge on it yet) and is one consistent pull (single stage). 

What is the CZCustom Single Stage you mentioned and how does it differ?  I have spoken to Shooting Sight and understand their two stage, which actually sounds like a better design IMHO but I just haven't plopped down the $$ for it yet as I really don't mind the trigger that's on mine with how smooth and lighter it is.  I would like a 2-stage though, I won't lie.

Offline shootingsight

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 09:57:42 PM »
Dunno how others polish theirs, but I had the chance to play with a CZ Custom trigger at SHOT, and it was VERY smooth.

Offline 1000RR

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 10:18:38 PM »
Dunno how others polish theirs, but I had the chance to play with a CZ Custom trigger at SHOT, and it was VERY smooth.

That (and the stock) are what you would categorize as single stage yes?  It's a constant (single) stage pull until it goes bang... at least that's the way mine feels.  It's very smooth.  Where as your trigger actually has a distinct pull (1st stage) until you hit "the wall" and then pull a little firmer (2nd stage) and "bang"!

Offline shootingsight

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 10:52:35 AM »
Exactly.  The notion behind the 2-stage is that there is a discernible 'bump' just before the hammer releases, so you can hold at 90% of sear travel, and the final pressure to release the hammer has almost zero felt travel after that bump.

OEM and CZ Custom are both single stages, where there is some amount of travel, and then the hammer drops without knowing exactly when that will be.

If you are only shooting fast, there is probably little difference between them, but for aimed shots, eliminating trigger travel will help your aim.

Almost all US Military rifles had 2-stage triggers on every gun in the 20th century, up till the M16. Maybe not the M1 Carbine.  1903 did, also 03A3, M1917, M1, M14.  Can't remember my Krag.  SIG's combat rifle, the 550 series, has a 2-stage, so did the K31.  So this is not a novel concept for a combat weapon.

Offline 1000RR

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 11:01:57 AM »
Exactly... and back to my point... so why would someone spend so much on a CZCustom trigger (single stage) when it appears to simply be a polished version of the stock?  Mine is pretty smooth and running HBI springs.  All done for $10.  I personally like the idea of the 2 stage but if I had my dream trigger, it would be the same as my trusty 1911 - love that trigger.  Totally different design, I know... but love 1911's.

Offline AUG41

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 09:46:42 PM »
I guess I am just a single stage rifle guy. My AR’s use the velocity 3.5 mostly, 4 of them. I have an SD3G in another AR and my kids 15-22’s have CMC Lantacs. My AUG’s use the 2020 precision TSM along with another mod and they are almost as good as the velocity triggers. With about 1/4 of the travel and reset the original AUG trigger and 4.5 lb pull. My only 2 stage is a MBT in a precision AR build and I really don’t shoot it that well. I get better results from my single stage guns all the way from 50 to the 615 yards that I am able to shoot at the local club during PRS shoots.

The youtube videos I have seen of the CZCustom trigger is more akin to what I am used to. Very little take up and short travel. A crisp break and a short quick reset. In one video I saw the tuning of it to quite an impressive trigger.

The shooting sight trigger would be my choice if I was a 2 stage guy.

So which 1000RR do you ride?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 09:55:22 PM by AUG41 »

Offline Asylum9

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 10:05:59 PM »
I forgot to list the one I currently use. Yetiwurks has there blizzard trigger. It's more of an adjustable trigger shoe that allows for travel and reset.
The yeti with an HBI spring and polish it a decent budget friendly combination. I've been happy with it. I haven't tried any of the other triggers but I haven't felt the need to change it either.

https://www.yetiwurks.com/Yeti-Wurks-Blizzard-Scorpion-Trigger_p_55.html
ApIII%

Offline 1000RR

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 10:08:23 PM »
So which 1000RR do you ride?

Use to roadrace a bit...  Mostly club, but dabbled a little pro... but that was more of a bucket list, check off the box.  It was a ton of fun though.

BMW S1000RR, CBR1000RR, ZX6R, R6, and a Supermoto (Husaberg FS570)

Offline AUG41

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 10:15:28 PM »
This is the video

I instructed for Tracoholics in Michigan back in the day. Gen 1 R-1, then got a CBR 600RR in 04’ still sits in the garage. Miss my R-1 every day. Last track outing was 2 years ago-on 6 yo racing rubber. Shocked me when my 600 slid around on the gas like my old R-1 did. I tell myself I will get back to it every summer. Then my wife makes summer plans and 3 gun and PRS season starts. Think shooting is less expensive too

Offline 1000RR

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2019, 10:25:04 PM »
I instructed for Tracoholics in Michigan back in the day. Gen 1 R-1, then got a CBR 600RR in 04’ still sits in the garage. Miss my R-1 every day. Last track outing was 2 years ago-on 6 yo racing rubber. Shocked me when my 600 slid around on the gas like my old R-1 did. I tell myself I will get back to it every summer. Then my wife makes summer plans and 3 gun and PRS season starts. Think shooting is less expensive too

Good vidoe... so I guess the major difference with the CZ Custom is the amount of adjustment you can fine tune the trigger with.  Whereas the stock trigger has none of that.

Similar here, with some instructing and coaching.  Won a #1 plate which was the same year I took a little dabble with the big boys.  My kids are in their final stages before they leave the house for college so I've sold everything for now except for my race gear.  I may have to get back to it and some point, but don't see it for another 4+ years from now.

Shooting is a LOT less expensive.  I remember one year, I bought $8,000 in slicks at the beginning of the season and that didn't include the tires I used when I hit a couple pro races.  I spent ~$2,500/weekend when trying to get on the pro grid.  I could buy a lot of guns every year just in the tires I bought - haha!

Offline AUG41

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 10:36:59 PM »
A few of us instructors were going to make an endurance team one year. Not too
Disappointed it didn’t materialize. Honestly I am only good for a few fast laps. Then it’s Sunday ride and posing for the camera guy. Guns and bikes seems a common thing.