Author Topic: Magpul Evo Grip disappointing - UPDATED - HAPPY NOW  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Fuzzyreticle

Magpul Evo Grip disappointing - UPDATED - HAPPY NOW
« on: July 07, 2019, 05:00:01 PM »
I got a Magpul Evo grip from Aim as they had them in stock.  Installed easily enough with a couple of taps from a rubber mallet.  I love the feel and texture of the grip and the angle of it.  It fit very tight with no gaps on the top as some have reported and also tight against the trigger pack.  Probably too tight. 

The problem is that the lower can not be removed without removing the grip now.  I tried to just move it back a little but that wasn’t enough. It had to come off for me to disassemble the carbine with out damaging it. 

I can get the lower off with the grip installed IF I use a flathead screwdriver & pry it off.  Since the scorpion is made of polymer this is going to damage it eventually. 

That’s a major PITA so it looks like I’m back to the stock grip.  It works well enough.  YMMV. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 09:36:38 PM by Fuzzyreticle »

Offline John A.

Re: Magpul Evo Grip disappointing
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 05:53:34 PM »
I've heard a bunch of complaints about the magpul grip.  Some on this forum and on others.

Ranging from everything from having a gap between the grip halves or as you said, having to take the grip apart to separate the upper from the grip housing.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline AUG41

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 09:52:27 PM »
I am waiting to try one myself and reviews like this have me second guessing my desire to get one.  Do you have pictures?
I saw somewhere that you can move the grip back a touch so the lower will release properly. What appeals to me the most about the Magpul is the lower grip it provides. All others including the Apex I havenow make the webbing of your hand run very high. Great on handguns but not ideal for me on the Micro. I think the Magpul grip also gives additional clearance for the safety. The gap between the halves is an annoyance if it occurs.  I intend to use talon grip material in that area anyway.

Offline SilentRecon

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 11:45:59 PM »
Pakse Pathfinder. Nothing better yet IMO. Magpul had their chance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline AUG41

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 01:02:27 PM »
Well I got the grip from a local shop who I frequent and we spoke about the issues that some were experiencing. Anyway we put the grip on my Micro and yes it will not let the lower out of you move it all the way forward but if you give it a millimeter or a mil and a half it will let you remove and re install the lower with no problem.

I also did not experience the gap at the back of the grip closest to the receiver like others have. It’s tight. There is however a very slight gap at the bottom of the grip. No big deal to me.

The other thing I suspected would be a benefit i was able to confirm. The factory safety selector does not dig into my trigger finger like in my Apex and factory grip. I feel no need to replace the factory selectors now.

The design of the Magpul grip lowers the actual grip to a more optimum straight pull back on the trigger. People running straight triggers might really appreciate it. The webbing between your thumb and trigger finger sits significantly lower than other grip and adjusts the angle for your pull to more straight back than back and up.

Texturing is a little sharp and the 2 screw in the side are ugly but I will use talon grip material over the grip anyways. Based on the 2 piece design I doubt a plus version will be produced.

Hope that helps. Your experience may vary. For me it’s a winner.

Offline spoooon

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 10:07:16 PM »
Mine fits fine FWIW. Didn't have to tap it with a mallet or anything either. Can remove the lower just fine. Maybe just be a hit or miss thing.

Offline motorolanut

• “Character is what you are in the dark.”
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 04:11:19 AM »
And how about those fantastic magpul CZ magazines?  Oh wait they are still not released and on preorder over 6 months later LMAO.
Hey magpul stick to ARs if you are listening. 
Virtue has united, death shall not separate

Offline AUG41

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 07:53:35 AM »
They did the same thing with the AUG magazines which are great BTW. Likely made them for export and when the orders are filled we get ours.

Probably will be the same with all the new H&K MP5 stuff.

Offline LordEvo

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 08:45:04 AM »

Have you tried the yeti gen 3? Trying to judge which grip to get

Offline Fuzzyreticle

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 09:12:54 AM »
I have used the Pakse grip.   It felt unsubstantial too me.  I am going to try to position it differently and maybe some Dremel work to see if it can work for me.  I really don’t have anything to loose.  It wasn’t expensive so if I bork it I am not not much. 

Offline SilentRecon

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 09:19:45 AM »

Have you tried the yeti gen 3? Trying to judge which grip to get
I've handled every grip out currently. Pakse Pathfinder has plenty of real estate and the angle, for me, is the best.

I have used the Pakse grip.   It felt unsubstantial too me.  I am going to try to position it differently and maybe some Dremel work to see if it can work for me.  I really don’t have anything to loose.  It wasn’t expensive so if I bork it I am not not much.
It's the most perpendicular grip out. I'm not a fan of too much angle and highly disliked the OEM style. It's the only one I've tried that doesn't rub your hand in a weird way especially under the trigger guard.

Offline LordEvo

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 10:17:04 AM »

[/quote]It's the most perpendicular grip out. I'm not a fan of too much angle and highly disliked the OEM style. It's the only one I've tried that doesn't rub your hand in a weird way especially under the trigger guard.

[/quote]

How is the shooters element trigger?

Offline SilentRecon

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 11:11:18 AM »
A+ I run flat triggers in everything if its available. I'm a stickler for precision machining and think the Shooters Element is not precision cut . Looks like its cast, not bad,  but does the job nicely. I'm running a 2 stage trigger pack and the combo is not comparable to OEM setup.

Offline Fuzzyreticle

Re: Magpul Evo Grip disappointing EDITED - HAPPY NOW
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 09:35:38 PM »
So I gave the Magpul Evo grip another try.  This time I loosened the two grip screws holding it together and slid it on with ease.  I then positioned the grip in various spots until I was able to find a sweet spot that allowed me to remove the lower portion with no effort. 

I am very happy now.  Feels great and offers a better angle than the OEM grip which I didn’t really mind but this is better.  I have no issue with it being two halves.  HK rifles and sub guns used two piece grips for years before the all polymer lowers came out and they worked just fine. 

The lesson is DON'T position this grip tight up against the lower.  Don’t drink most of a pot of coffee before installing it and take your time finding that sweet spot.  My wife agrees with that last point entirely.  :)  As others have said give it a couple of mm of space and you are GTG.   :P

Cz Evo by Fuzzy Reticle, on Flickr
Just a tiny gap between the two halves.  I cant tell at all when holding the carbine. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 09:46:53 PM by Fuzzyreticle »

Offline Wahoo9501

Re: Magpul Evo Grip disappointing - UPDATED - HAPPY NOW
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 02:51:54 PM »
Why do I see pics of the magpul grip with and without grip screws along the side....were there two releases?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

anything