Author Topic: A few P07 trigger mod questions...  (Read 387 times)

Offline dpsk

A few P07 trigger mod questions...
« on: July 09, 2019, 01:39:30 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with swapping out the trigger return spring (by itself) for the CGW reduced power trigger return spring?  Just wondering if it reduces the DA pull weight noticeably or not (it's advertised to reduce the weight by 1/2lb)?  Also, would that mod by itself affect reliability?  Doesn't seem like it should, but I don't know enough about that swap to be sure.  Also, what is the weight of the OEM hammer spring?  I'm looking at the CGW 18lb self defense hammer spring.  Could I also just swap the hammer spring out (without any other internal changes) without affecting reliability?  I don't want to go all out crazy replacing a bunch of parts that will end up costing half as much as the pistol does by itself.  I also don't intend for my P-07 to be a competition pistol, but the DA pull could use a little improving.
I swapped out the hammer springs on my (regular) Beretta 92FS and my 92FS compact with the "D" spring.  That mod makes for a pretty significant improvement on the Beretta 92/M9 line without affecting reliability at all.
Many thanks in advance.

Offline DOC 1500

Re: A few P07 trigger mod questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 03:31:01 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with swapping out the trigger return spring (by itself) for the CGW reduced power trigger return spring?  Just wondering if it reduces the DA pull weight noticeably or not (it's advertised to reduce the weight by 1/2lb)?  Also, would that mod by itself affect reliability?  Doesn't seem like it should, but I don't know enough about that swap to be sure.  Also, what is the weight of the OEM hammer spring?  I'm looking at the CGW 18lb self defense hammer spring.  Could I also just swap the hammer spring out (without any other internal changes) without affecting reliability?  I don't want to go all out crazy replacing a bunch of parts that will end up costing half as much as the pistol does by itself.  I also don't intend for my P-07 to be a competition pistol, but the DA pull could use a little improving.
I swapped out the hammer springs on my (regular) Beretta 92FS and my 92FS compact with the "D" spring.  That mod makes for a pretty significant improvement on the Beretta 92/M9 line without affecting reliability at all.
Many thanks in advance.
As far as replacing OEM with reduced power Springs, you shouldn't have any troubles whatsoever I haven't and I've changed just about every spring in my p-07 and po9 with Cajun Gun Works Springs. Some have suggested if you get a reduced power hammer spring (less than18# )and reduce power firing pin spring you may want to invest in the extended firing pin to reduce a possible misfire or Light Strike as I call it.
Check out videos from JoeMustang99 on YouTube, they are full disassembly and reassembly of the po7 and po9 identical pistols internally.
If you feel confident in getting into the internals of the pistol meaning disassembly ,reassembly, check out this thread will help you with polishing the internals to smooth out your double action and single action.
Changing out the suggested Springs and doing the suggested smoothing and polishing can significantly reduce grittiness and pull # and increase the smoothness of your double action pull.
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=66147.0
There's more information in the Gunsmithing section.
Feel free to ask more questions, only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
 Good luck. And welcome to the addiction.
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline Claymore504

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 04:27:22 PM »
Changing the TRS alone will not hurt reliability. I changed that in both of my P09s and my P07 (this is a carry pistol). I am not big on changing tons of parts either. So, what I did on my P0 guns are the CGW RP TRS, extended firing pin w/reduced power spring, 18# hammer spring and firing pin retaining pin. I do a little light polishing while installing these parts as well. I think the factory hammer spring is 20 or 21 lbs.

If you still have questions I highly suggest you call CGW and talk to them. They are always happy to answer questions.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 06:20:18 PM »
I have been experimenting with hammer springs on my P-07.  With the Cajun extended firing pin I have gone as light as 11.5# spring and have yet to have it not fire.  It still functions flawlessly with all my reloads, and with factory FMJs and my +P defensive rounds.

With the lighter trigger return spring, polish job and all Cajun internal parts - the trigger is honestly too light for a carry gun at the moment.  I did enjoy it as a “target” pistol, but I will go back to the 13# hammer spring, which still gives it a fabulous DA pull, but will make the trigger break not so light in SA.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 07:17:26 PM »
This guide is worth a read. Much improvement can be had from addressing the points listed and all it will cost you is some time and elbow grease. The CZ P series like most CZ pistols can vary from the factory. Addressing the factory variance can offer allot in some cases and little in others. It is luck of the draw to some degree.

How to Tune, Smooth and Upgrade the P-07/P-09 Note: While this guide dose include tuning parts all of the polishing can be accomplished without replacement parts and still offer significant improvement.

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=66147.0

As to the Reduced Power TRS for the P-Series, the only complaint that i have heard is that they can offer a less positive reset. I have seen this bug a few folks while most do not mind it for the reduced Double Action pull weight that it offers.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 03:08:27 PM »
TRS - change it.  The newer CZ springs should be more reliable, and the CGW ones are.  They will ALL break eventually - don't ask me how I know.

Hammer springs.  ALL P GUNS are different.  I use CGW reduced FP springs in all of mine.  Some guns will run Wolf all day (100%) with a 15 LB hammer spring and others get a few light strikes once in a while (1/100). 

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 04:55:25 PM »
TRS - change it.  The newer CZ springs should be more reliable, and the CGW ones are.  They will ALL break eventually - don't ask me how I know.

Hammer springs.  ALL P GUNS are different.  I use CGW reduced FP springs in all of mine.  Some guns will run Wolf all day (100%) with a 15 LB hammer spring and others get a few light strikes once in a while (1/100).
That's exactly why I quit buying Wolf Ammo.
Using wolf ammo it's kind of like having a friend every fifty or a hundred rounds load a snap cap in there for you, cuz one of them sometimes just doesn't go off. Gives you a chance to practice rack and clear. lol
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline dpsk

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 06:05:14 PM »
Thanks for all of the responses - they are much appreciated!  Think I'll go with the trigger return spring and a 18# hammer spring.  I'll take a look at polishing some components after trying those two parts out.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 06:52:24 PM »
I replaced the TRS and the firing pin block spring with the CGW reduced power springs on two P07's and two P09s.

I only remember the P07 I carry all the time, the SA trigger pull dropped from 3.5 to 3&1/4 lbs.
I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline Due51

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 07:19:46 PM »
I'd go with the 15# main spring.  I have a PO7 and both (15&18) and I prefer the 15# a lot more.  Hell, I'll sell you my 18# spring l. lol
CZ P07
Sig P229 Legion & P238
RIA m1911 A2 10mm
Hi-Standard H-D Military
Let's Go Blue!

Offline flattusmaximus78

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 08:30:38 PM »
I have the competition hammer spring with the stock FP/Spring; fee thousand rounds later and no issues. I would recommend the extended firing Pin though.