Author Topic: Firing Pin Removal  (Read 839 times)

Offline wingman

Firing Pin Removal
« on: July 13, 2019, 03:56:36 PM »
How often do you guys remove the firing pin in your C100s for cleaning?  Thanks.

Offline Practical Shooter

• Legio Patria Nostra
Re: Firing Pin Removal
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 07:10:24 PM »
Different guns in combination with different ammunition require differently cleaning schedules.
Over time, you will get a fill for it and know exactly what your gun requires.
In general, the firing pin channel shouldn't get too dirty, if you leave it dry or very slightly oiled.
In that case, clean it every 2000 rounds should be sufficient.
If you do oil the firing pin a bit too much, expect the grime that find its way inside the channel to stay in there.
In that case, perhaps every 500/700 rounds.

Offline wingman

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 07:57:31 AM »
Thank you for sharing your knowledge.  When I saw that a roll pin had to be hammered out and in to remove the firing pin, I didn't want to mangle the pin by hammering on it to often.......even though I have the correct punches to do it properly.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 03:56:36 PM »
I hardly ever remove it.  For cleaning, I just point the straw of a bottle of Disc Brake Cleaner down the Firing Pin hole and give it a blast just long enough to see if there's any gunk coming out. I usually do this about every 1000 rounds or so and I give the Pistols a general cleaning every 500 rounds or so.  This is for my general Range use Pistols.

My CCW Pistols on the other hand start out clean when carried.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Rmach

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 04:59:35 PM »
Until I start getting light strikes or no ignition, I have no intentions of removing any firing pin. I have a few semi handguns well over the 2000 round mark that still hit the primer just fine. After each cleaning, I always work the firing pin in and out manually, just to feel for any problems in the channel.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 05:13:43 PM by Rmach »

Offline wingman

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 08:25:57 AM »
Thank you.  I appreciate your replies.