Author Topic: Newbie Questions re: TSO  (Read 1403 times)

Offline pcar157

Newbie Questions re: TSO
« on: September 01, 2019, 10:06:54 PM »
Am a 1911 guy and just started getting familiar w/CZs. Have recently handled/shot a Shadow 2 and a TSO. LOVED the TSO ergonomics, the SAO and of course the actual shooting/handling of it. The issue for me is the heavy weight, i.e. the 47 oz. A question: is there a CZ model that closely aligns with the TSO but more in the weight range of my 1911s, like 38 to 41 ozs?
Thanks!

Offline Tok36

Re: Newbie Questions re: TSO
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 10:18:59 PM »
While i do not have solid number on potential weight reduction i have seen a number of modifications that can reduce the weight of a CZ TS and TSO. Shortening the dust cover as well as modifications to the slide can reduce the weight to some degree. I am not aware of a Factory reduce weight option using the Tactical Sport design. So as far as i am aware it would be a custom job.

Brian Enos's Forums - CZ section is where i see these types of modifications come up most often.
https://forums.brianenos.com/forum/200-cz/

I am interested to hear the input of other forum members on the topic.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline pcar157

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 12:04:20 AM »
Or is there a similar model in the CZ line that aligns with the TSO. For example: the CZ Custom SP-01 Shadow Orange (SKU 91764).

Unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge of the CZ lineup to determine is this #91764 is similar. Depending on what I hear from other forum members, I guess a call to CZ/CZC would be best.

Offline novacz

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 12:15:17 AM »
Probably the closest thing to a lighter weight TSO would be the SAO Shadow that was discontinued a few years ago.   You could see if you could hunt down a used copy though. Another option would be to look into getting a 75B and having CZC or Cajun Gun Works do a SAO conversion along with a trigger job, sights, etc.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 12:47:58 AM »
   While there are some similarities in the CZ TS/TSO and the CZ 75 variants (SP-01,75B ect.) there are a number of significant differences. While i have gained some understanding of the impact of these differences i have yet to gain a full understanding of them. I see this as a subjective topic as well. What each shooter picks up on can be different from the next.

Though my opinion may change over time, at the moment to me the TS and the CZ75 variants are different animals. I am unclear on your use restrictions but another potential option that may be worth considering is a hybrid CZ75/SP-01 Longslide. These are Tac Sport slides modified to work on CZ75 variant frames.

I think calling CZ Customs is a good idea. It may be worth while to post this question on the Brian Enos's Forums - CZ section to see what comes up. I would also give this thread some more time for other forum members to contribute (This includes novacz's post above, he posted while i was writing this). If you find out anything interesting please share it with us. We all learn from this stuff.

If you would like to get a look at some of the mechanical differences in the two CZ pistol types the threads linked below may be helpful.

What is a CZ Tactical sport? My Observations.
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=70860.0;topicseen

Complete disassembly/assembly of a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow handgun
http://www.olegnikitin.com/news/complete-disassembly-assembly-of-cz-75-sp-01-shadow
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 03:35:30 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline scroadkill

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 06:48:44 AM »
oh.. im thinking a  75 shadow CTS LS SAO fits the bill -- sku 91707

Offline pcar157

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 08:03:28 AM »
Thanks everyone. You guys are a wealth of knowledge. I will continue to follow this thread to see if any other members chime in.

I saw a post at one point where a member had purchased a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Orange (SKU 91764) and made some comments about liking the Shadow 2 and the TSO but not the weight. Said this gun was approx. 1/2# lighter but also said it is DA/SA.

Offline pcar157

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 08:51:52 AM »
"scroadkill", went on the Oak Hill site, which I find very informative, and looked up the SKU 91707 you suggested. WOW, am lovin' that gun!! Thanks for the input. A question: looking on the Oak Hill site, while they do have specs listed, there is no mention of size or weight.  Checked out the CZ and CZC sites and this model is not listed on either.
Will reach out to CZC in the morning and see if I can get further info.

Thanks again 'scroadkill" and to all the members!

Offline muncie21

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 09:15:17 AM »
OP:

The TSO/TS line of guns are SAO designed specifically for competition. 

The '75 series' guns (SP01, shadow, S2, etc.) are DA/SA.  While there are some 75 series guns specifically modified to be SAO, they are limited runs, mostly modified by custom shops.

Offline scroadkill

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 09:34:32 AM »
weight wise... similar feel to the standard 75b - just a bit longer sight radius and some czc magic.  I bought one but then moved the upper over to my sp01 shadow frame which I shot around 50 matches with in limited minor until I got my B card.. then picked up a tso in 40.. which to my surprise served as a host to mt cts 9mm upper (although it is a bit loose in the slide to frame department in a TS frame). TSO shoots like a dream either way.

if you like a small skinny frame the 75b or sp01 frames are for you.

I got used to the TSO frame with some palmswell grips, huge left hand side safety and even bigger alex rest. The high safety pulls your strong hand way up into the beaver tail leaving room for your support hand to land. and the alex rest gives you an index point for your support hand thumb to land, and once you push down on both they really really lock your grip in place.  The loc palmswells then fill your palms. Its like 360 degree contact with extra leverage points.

Then once the shooting starts the weight seems to help - especially when shooting on the move. Flat, heavy, accurate, converts from 9 to 40 and back in the drop of a hat.

Now I didnt give the cts-lsp a fair shake once I found it the slide worked on my sp01 frame.. the 75B frames are expensive to install the big safeties that I like... But the few times I did shoot it as is from CZC it seemed to have a really magical balance that maybe a M or GM can explain.

Offline adrian

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 10:24:31 AM »
     Hiya pcar157, which one to buy is a nice problem to have mate. I see our forum members hopped in to get the great ideas stirring as well. CZ certainly has a lot of choices for you, and adding custom mods all along the way, I know you will find something you are happy to own.
     Not sure of the weight difference widens with a loaded mag. That alone could rule out the TSO. I certainly prefer the 26 rounder mags as well. Your 1911's are they single/double stack, do you also like extend round mags?. Side by side I'd think the 1911 has a slimer grip than the TSO,TS,CM. The shadows and the long slides use the shadow grips,and the shadow mags, so grip prolly closer to your preference. The Long slides use a tactical sports upper and that combo is what I feel is the beset ergo combo I've found. I also ordered one in DA/SA based on experience converting a shadow to SA, I don't feel that mod makes a happy camper. But If weight is the concern and the TS has to much custom work on a 75b-SA is the one the would make you smile. Happy shopping and Be well.

Offline pcar157

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 01:20:07 PM »
Thanks to all of you for being so helpful. It is much appreciated.  So many of you have experience with numerous models of CZs. In my case I have only handled/shot a Shadow 2 and a TSO. Of those two I much prefer the ergonomics of the TSO. I live about 45 min NW of Phila and few dealers in my area have any real inventory of CZs. I will say that Oak Hill Guns is about  2 1/2 hrs from me and looking at their website seem to have a fairly large inventory of CZ models. Maybe I take a ride to see them. I'm retired so time is on my side.
A few other comments to clarify based on your feedback:
1. I really need to handle couple 75 models and SP-01 models to determine what feels best to me and then go from there.
2. I referenced the TSO only as a comparison to the Shadow 2. I liked the 2 very much, just the TSO better. And being a 1911 guy, SAO is a preference but not a necessity
3. Weight: I referenced I would like to keep the "unloaded" weight somewhere near my unloaded 1911s, 38-41 oz +/-
4. There are so many offerings in the CZ lineup when you factor in CZC. It really is confusing, at least to me.
5. My use of the gun: I don't carry, I don't compete, I visit the range (indoor/outdoor) at least 2 -3 times a week. I love shooting guns!

Keep the comments coming, please!

Offline scroadkill

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 02:26:32 PM »
Keep the comments coming, please!

uspsa.. try it..  senior class!

Offline coolbox

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 03:08:00 AM »
I am a die hard fan of the CTS, specially with the SP01 frame. If i recall correctly, it weighs about 100gm (3 oz approx) more than a SP01 Shadow. The TSO, with fill wide dust cover, is heavier still.
You could look at one built on either the SP01 Shadow frame, or the Shadow frame.
If you want to keep the weight down, then the standard cz75 SA frame is the better option. I am not sure of the weight, but it should be no heavier than a standard SP01 Shadow.

CZC offerings, such as the bull shadow, bull shadow 2, A01 etc are excellent, but also heavier.
I would opt for the accu bushing on the CTS.

I shoot mostly my CTS, based on SP01 Shadow frame, converted to SAO. It has exceptional balance and accuracy.
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

anything