Author Topic: How many short rail CZ75s in the USA?  (Read 2173 times)

Offline nuclear armed hog

How many short rail CZ75s in the USA?
« on: July 17, 2019, 04:25:00 PM »
so i recently sold my stainless steel cz75b and decided to acquire a short rail 75.

i hear numbers from less than 50 to a guess of 100 to 150. Anyone have any real info? Bobofthedesert tells me hes imported maybe around 50.

Offline ejb1975

Re: How many short rail CZ75s in the USA?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 06:21:25 PM »
I don’t think anyone knows for sure.  Since they were never imported while they were made the only ones that are here were brought home by military or imported by folks like bobofthedesert and the guy from the Attic.  For as scarce as they are, they have certainly become obtainable recently thanks to those guys.  That has effected the market price on them as well, I have 2 78’s that I bought 6 months apart and got the second $500 cheaper than I got my first one and it’s in Better shape (both are nice though)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bang bang

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 05:06:33 PM »
what you are doing is gambling.  Just like the stock market or gold or anything else.

do what research you can and go from there and hope for the best.

Also, know that for things that bring alot of $$$, someone or someones may decide to do some counterfeiting.  it happens sometimes especially where $$$ and greed comes into play.

Whats your endgame too?  do you want one for bragging rights?  an investment?  a toy?  If its shot and you shoot it, its not a big deal.  Its NOS or really nice, would you want to shoot and and maybe loose some of that value?  If you dont care, then do what you want. 

But its been said there are better investments out there than guns.

But what i have posted and what has been mentioned before is a thing called "utility".  If you are going to invest in things, you may want to research on whats what.  but guns have "utility".  Gold does too, but its limited.  A car has "utility" too.  But whats nice about a Gun or car, is that you can use them for other things, such as what they were designed/intended for.  Its like having your cake and eating it too.  Not many investments can do that.  Yes, you can "buy" those things with your investment if you cash out, but if you buy a gun you can play with it too.  Just make sure you understand by doing so, you may loose some of its value down the road.

you also need to understand that CZ isnt cranking the short rails out now.  i think CZ Custom had some copies made, but they are just copies and not the real McCoy.  So there will always be a limited supply of whats out there.  Then you need to remember that there are places in the USA where guns are being bought back to get them off the streets.  How many CZ short rails will be in there?  who knows.  But you will have to assume and i do, is that over time, that stock or supply will get less and less. 

I bought my guns for fun.  And i still do.  As far as buying them for "investments' as mentioned, there are better investments.  But also as mentioned, i have had my cake and ate it too for each gun i have bought. 

I was looking at buying A shortfall for my CZ collection, but for now, its not high on my priority list.  I dont have a sample of every CZ made.  I dont have a sample of every Colt, S&W or any other brand made.  So i know in wont be able to completely make any of my collections complete.  So if i dont buy that short rail, its just another of many shoulder shrugs ive done in my life.

If its important to you to buy one for whatever reason, then go for it.  Its your money, time, and life. No one can live it for you, but i can spend it for you if you want.

Chances are if you buy one and decide to sell it at a future date, you will probably make some money on it.  How much?  that will depend on what the market will bare and who wants it.  Its not like a Colt where it has a name and everyone knows it so someone may need to do some reserach and learning on what it is.  But if you monitor what those short rails have gone for, you may see that they went for some money. 

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 05:48:58 PM »
i already bought it, paid $1500. ill shoot it once in awhile

Offline ejb1975

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 06:11:25 PM »
i already bought it, paid $1500. ill shoot it once in awhile

To me,$1500 is a Steel on a Short Rail and pretty much the range shooter quality short rails seem to be going for at the moment.  I’d love to know the answer to your question as it’s been mine before, I also have other short rail questions that I Havnt found an answer too.  There just isn’t a lot of info in them which makes them even more intriguing.

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 11:52:56 PM »
so i recently sold my stainless steel cz75b and decided to acquire a short rail 75.

i hear numbers from less than 50 to a guess of 100 to 150. Anyone have any real info? Bobofthedesert tells me hes imported maybe around 50.

I figure the maximum number is approx 16,000 and that's if all CZ's short rail production came to the US, which of course it didn't. Pick a number like 15% (completely random) and it's around 2,400.

If you want to know more history of the pre-B's look at the 75 child board moderated by Psyop96 (https://czfirearms.us/index.php?board=100.0)

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 09:53:09 AM »

This is nuts.

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 02:50:15 PM »

This is nuts.

that s why i jumped on it when i did even though im sort of broke right now lol

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 10:48:34 PM »
I mean it is bunk.  Read what some members said.  Not to be rude, but even having a few hundred in the USA is ridiculous.  I know Larry Vickers says they are rare, but that is a relative term.  There are likely thousands if not 10,000. 

IF it is in great shape, I'd say you did well though.  When I was first on this forum I think they could be had for several hundred - but demand and 'fame' have driven the price up.  If yours is BLUED and again, not too much wear, you did very well. 

But... its all in what you really want.  I have a few PreBs and am satisfied.  I paid much less, and have a prime example of the era.  I'd like a SR, but don't want to pay the premium - I'd rather have a tricked out SIG or Shadow for that money. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 11:09:15 AM by briang2ad »

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 03:49:57 PM »
they would be a lot more common if there was thousands.

Offline ejb1975

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 06:26:08 PM »
I mean it is bunk.  Read what some members said.  Not to be rude, but even having a few hundred in the USA is ridiculous.  I know Larry Vickers says they are rare, but that is a relative term.  There are likely thousands if not 10,000. 

IF it is in great shape, I'd say you did well though.  When I was first on this forum I think they could be had for several hundred - but demand and 'fame' have driven the price up.  If yours is BLUED and again, not too much wear, you did very well. 

But... its all in what you really want.  I have a few PreBs and am satisfied.  I paid much less, and have a prime example of the era.  I'd like a SR, but don't want to pay the premium - I'd rather have a tricked out SIG or Shadow for that money.

I think you are confusing Short Rails with pre B’s.  There was around 22,000 Short Rails made total from 75-80 and they were all blued.  That is the total included thousands bought by The Rhodesian army.  I promise the number of them here are scarce and I would buy everyone in good shape I could afford for 1500. 

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 09:24:07 PM »
Not really.  I doubt it is below a few thousand.  Thinking it is 150 is not likely.  Not by a long shot.

As i imply, $1500 is likely good if you want one.  I’ve just seen too many for dame over the years to believe there are a couple hundred in the US.

Offline ejb1975

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 09:39:17 PM »
Not really.  I doubt it is below a few thousand.  Thinking it is 150 is not likely.  Not by a long shot.

As i imply, $1500 is likely good if you want one.  I’ve just seen too many for dame over the years to believe there are a couple hundred in the US.
There has been two guys to my knowledge that have found ways to import these in recent years and that has drove down the market from around 3k to around 1500-2k.  So I believe we have all seen a few more recently but I really don’t think they are as available as you think.  Took me 4 years to find my first one

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 02:27:29 AM »
Greetings to all from somewhere in Central Europe this morning. The Zbrojovka Brno logo still radiates from the old factory chimney and a building amidst urban renewal.

I’m reading here of numbers such as up to 10,000 and 22,000 for USA imports and total production, respectively. If you can kindly direct me to sources and/or methods for coming with those numbers, I would very much appreciate it for inclusion into the casual history section for consideration in a murky field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 03:07:20 AM »
nobody really knows. the 50 to 150 figure i got was from people who own them and imported them. 10000 would be a bit too high.

i dont think these were even able to be imported until the 90s aside from GI bringbacks.