Author Topic: Thread cap/protector unscrewing - CZ's response  (Read 4043 times)

Offline slimedog

Thread cap/protector unscrewing - CZ's response
« on: July 17, 2019, 06:33:28 PM »
While this has been discussed before, I thought I'd share what CZ had to say on the topic.  While shooting my Scorpion pistol last Saturday, I suddenly started completely missing the paper at 25 yards.  I stopped after a couple of rounds to debug.  It turns out that the "thread cap" had almost completely unscrewed inside the compensator and was hanging at an angle that clearly intersected the exiting projectiles.  I searched on the topic here and learned that it's a pretty common occurence.

While there is evidently no damage to either the thread cap or the compensator, a muzzle obstruction seems like a safety issue (at least to me), so I called CZ.  The warranty/repair department's response was, "yeah, this happens," and the official solution is to use some blue loctite and screw it back on.

Folks on this board have suggested everything from o-rings to rocksett.  I'm inclined to just take the stupid thing off and put the compensator back on, which should provide plenty of protection.  Frankly, I think it's a weird (at best) design and I'm a little surprised that CZ seems so unconcerned about the issue.  On the other hand, since I'll run a suppressor at some point, I sincerely appreciate the 1/2x28 threads.

Offline Rooftop Korean

Re: Thread cap/protector unscrewing - CZ's response
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 07:08:40 PM »
I run suppressed on and off.  I found that if you clean off the threads well with brake cleaner and apply some loctite, I found that the thread protector holds on well.  It actually takes an effort to take it off.

Offline Destructo6

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 09:06:08 AM »
Mine has been in a bag of random parts for quite some time. The standard flash hider provides protection for the threads.

Offline BroncoAZ

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 02:02:11 AM »
I blew the end off my cage flash hider when the internal 1/2x28 thread protector went missing.  I run the suppressor on my SBR Scorpion with the 18x1 threaded barrel, I feel much better with the larger 18x1 than the small 1/2x28.

Offline tgoldie00

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 10:18:16 AM »
HB Industries has a tool worth of buying for this exact issue.  I recognize completely that purchasing a ~$15 tool that should have been provided by the factory seems to be a bit obtuse, but the situation is what it is. 

I purchased the tool and have been able to tighten the faux suppressor without additional loctite without it loosening while shooting (usually 200-300 rounds per session).  I take care to remove the pieces with every cleaning, to include ensuring I clean all threads on the barrel as well as the protector before reassembly.  When my suppressor gets out of ATF jail I will gladly leave it in-place...but for the time being, the HB tool makes this a non-issue.

Offline deserttrans

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 04:35:02 PM »
Good post and information.

Offline Cohenj87

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 04:41:40 PM »
While this has been discussed before, I thought I'd share what CZ had to say on the topic.  While shooting my Scorpion pistol last Saturday, I suddenly started completely missing the paper at 25 yards.  I stopped after a couple of rounds to debug.  It turns out that the "thread cap" had almost completely unscrewed inside the compensator and was hanging at an angle that clearly intersected the exiting projectiles.  I searched on the topic here and learned that it's a pretty common occurence.

While there is evidently no damage to either the thread cap or the compensator, a muzzle obstruction seems like a safety issue (at least to me), so I called CZ.  The warranty/repair department's response was, "yeah, this happens," and the official solution is to use some blue loctite and screw it back on.

Folks on this board have suggested everything from o-rings to rocksett.  I'm inclined to just take the stupid thing off and put the compensator back on, which should provide plenty of protection.  Frankly, I think it's a weird (at best) design and I'm a little surprised that CZ seems so unconcerned about the issue.  On the other hand, since I'll run a suppressor at some point, I sincerely appreciate the 1/2x28 threads.

Are your referring to the faux suppressor and the nut at the front on a micro?

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 08:13:27 PM »
I don't have a scorpion, so no idea if the thing works different than the CZ/M&P pistols I have with thread protectors on the barrels.

I can say, with the proper o-ring installed on the barrel not a single thread protector has tried to escaped the barrel of the P01 Omega, the CZ85 or the M&P 9MM.

I only have to remove the thread protector and o-ring to remover the barrel for cleaning after a range session.

Really "cranking down" on a thread protector or a suppressor could result in some thread damage sooner or later.  Most nuts/bolts are designed with the idea of being taken of/off several times a year.  Not if they're torqued down really tight as a condition of operation.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline AZGlock21

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 07:56:58 PM »
I took my thread protector off and put the cage back on. I have always ran mine that way with zero issues.

Offline Chino1956

• Retired USAF Senior NCO (23 Yrs)
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 08:52:00 PM »
I bought the HBI tool (@ $15.00) for my S2, and check it every 50 rounds or so.  Have not had it loosen up and have not had to apply any Loctite. 

anything