Author Topic: Competition load: What works in 9mm and why ?  (Read 11252 times)

Offline Joe L

Re: Competition load: What works in 9mm and why ?
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2019, 07:36:56 AM »
Another conclusion from my somewhat limited experience with the striker guns P-10C and F...

Because I shoot best with a relatively heavy trigger in the hammer guns, I didn't have much difficulty with the striker gun, once I installed a CGW striker, polished the parts, and used a Glock 4# striker spring.  Pull was down closer to what I like compared to factory, which was tough for me at first. 

I actually like the striker trigger just fine, as modified.  Yes, I prefer the hammer gun, but, given the chance, I will use the P-10F in a bullseye match this year.  I have had high score in small local matches with P-09 and even a P-07, just to demonstrate that the tight mechanical tolerances of the CZ polymer guns were good.  Really surprised some 1911 people. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline deadsh0t

« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2019, 11:44:10 AM »

I understand the first part. I also know that resting the gun will change the POI since recoil starts in the barrel

I'm trying to understand how to do that part. I'm thinking about modifying the Shadow2 rear sight anyway, too much light for accurate shots past 25 yards in my opinion

Is the P-10F accurate out of the box? I'm curious about it

I like a light trigger pull, that's what worked best for me, too heavy means more time/errors in my case

I couldn't narrow the rear sight slot width as easily as I could fatten up the sides of the front sight with some epoxy and shim stock, or just buy a wider front sight if you can find one.

I understand about trigger preference for light versus heavy.  For me and my old muscles and coordination, being able to apply pressure to the trigger without it going off works better than going from no trigger finger tension to enough to move the sear off the hammer.  It's just me. 

The standard for accuracy at my house is my first P-09 hammer gun with CGW trigger parts.  Consistently sub 2" at 50 yards and was my bullseye match gun until I went to a 97.  The P-10F seems to have been built to the same tolerances and I have some great targets with it at 50 and 100 yards.  I don't have enough experience with it to say that it is equal to the P-09.  My 75B with a CGW 10x bushing is definitely the equal to the P-09, and may be even a little better, as I believe the best 50 yard rest group is 1-1/8", with a sub 4" at 100 yards. 

The reason I can't tell which one is the best is that human error thing you bring up.  I can't shoot the P-10F, 75B, and P-09 equally well on any given day.  I need maybe 20 rounds with one gun to get my rest technique and trigger pull and sighting perfect before I expect to shoot a great group, or at least as good of a group as I am capable of that day.  For me, I know the gun and ammo combination is perfect, and that the variables left are me and my ability to place the dot exactly the same for each shot, and then to move the trigger without moving the gun.  For me, shooting from a rest is a discipline that takes a lot of practice, just like run and gun or bullseye.  I'm still working on it, without ever changing the gun/sight/ammo combination. 

Joe

I know one shooter which did that, he's good with mechanical stuff. There's no rear sight or front sight available to have what I want (I can't understand why).

I'd think a narrow front sight + narrow rear sight slot would be good for an accurate shot, just like any 1911's. I'm surprised different sights weren't produced already.

About those groups, I'd like to reach that level, and make sure I have the right cartridge to do so, I'd feel much better even for easier shots

Another conclusion from my somewhat limited experience with the striker guns P-10C and F...

Because I shoot best with a relatively heavy trigger in the hammer guns, I didn't have much difficulty with the striker gun, once I installed a CGW striker, polished the parts, and used a Glock 4# striker spring.  Pull was down closer to what I like compared to factory, which was tough for me at first. 

I actually like the striker trigger just fine, as modified.  Yes, I prefer the hammer gun, but, given the chance, I will use the P-10F in a bullseye match this year.  I have had high score in small local matches with P-09 and even a P-07, just to demonstrate that the tight mechanical tolerances of the CZ polymer guns were good.  Really surprised some 1911 people. 

Joe

I'd shoot a P-10F for fun, it seems to be a nice gun. Maybe even competitive. I didn't realize precision was so important until I've heard people talking like "see? Your A/C (in IPSC) is my double A", just because of the gun (common Cz Sp01 vs Tanfoglio Stock 2 example"

Offline deadsh0t

« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2019, 11:31:10 AM »
BTW: The world champion (of IPSC) says a good group is 1" at 25 yards. Nothing weird, another well known shooter said 2" is the group needed at 50 yards.

I'll be experimenting again in few weeks, I'll pick up some color coated / 357, Geco .355 FMJ bullets (RN), .356 (maybe .3565") Copper plated HP (los bullets) and .356 copper plated RN/TC (of the best manifacturer in Europe I think. That might be the exception)

The cost is acceptable for all of these. I've heard a lot of good opinions about Fiocchi FMJ-TC 122 grains too (.355 I guess). From the opinions received it seems like how the bullet is made counts much more than other factors.