Author Topic: Recommend me a 147 gr bullet for my P07  (Read 642 times)

Offline FALer

Recommend me a 147 gr bullet for my P07
« on: July 27, 2019, 10:34:13 PM »
I bought 1000 of RMR 147 gr match winner's recently and the manufacturer recommends  1.13 to 1.15 COAL. Wel I loaded up some 124gr loads to 1.14 and they plunk and spin and fall out freely. So I figure I'll get some 147's and load them up to 1.13. I forgot to take Ogive into account.

Anyway's I'm new to this and learning.

What 147gr bullets do you folks use that can be seated deeper than 1.13 in your CZ's?

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: Recommend me a 147 gr bullet for my P07
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 12:08:16 AM »
I bought 1000 of RMR 147 gr match winner's recently and the manufacturer recommends 1.13 to 1.15 COAL. Well, I loaded up some 124gr loads to 1.14 and they plunk and spin and fall out freely. So I figure I'll get some 147's and load them up to 1.13. I forgot to take Ogive into account.

This is all explained in the Stickies. Have you taken the time to study those articles ?

The manufacturer recommends those at 1.130 to 1.150" in a Ruger or Glock, not a CZ. 147's in a CZ are a special case. If they strike the lands, then your only recourse is to seat deeper, but the 147 bullet is longer than a 124gr bullet and gets into trouble with the taper inside the case. For that reason we must tell you that not every bullet offered for sale can be used in the CZ. This is why we suggest you discuss your plans BEFORE you order. You may have 1000 bullets you can't use.

What 147gr bullets do you folks use that can be seated deeper than 1.13 in your CZ's?
You can't seat deeper without going to special brands of brass case.

The only 147gr bullet I'm aware of that has zero issues with the CZ chamber is the Berry Mfg 147gr RN. It can be taken out to 1.150" or so. That doesn't mean there aren't others.

The RN from RMR are much more blunt which reduces the OAL to around 1.050". Conical bullets made by anybody always have the bullet's shoulder strike the end of the freebore, which drastically reduces Max OAL. As was said above, when this happens with a 147gr, the bullet must seat so deeply that it runs afoul of the taper inside the case.

We appreciate that you are a novice reloader, but we covered all this novice information so many times, we finally just included it in the Stickies.

;)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 12:39:38 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong?

Check out my reloading equipment for sale CLICK HERE

Offline FALer

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 12:42:03 AM »
The manufacturer recommends those at 1.130 to 1.150" in a Ruger or Glock, not a CZ. 147's in a CZ are a special case. If they strike the lands, then your only recourse is to seat deeper, but the 147 bullet is longer than a 124gr bullet and gets into trouble with the taper inside the case. For that reason we must tell you that not every bullet offered for sale can be used in the CZ. This is why we suggest you discuss your plans BEFORE you order. You may have 1000 bullets you can't use.

Ah, a taper inside the case. Got it. Yeah I feel like I've read through most if not all the stickies, something was eluding me. You know you read some info but it doesn't really hit home until it happens to you. I didn't buy those to shoot through the CZ specifically but I really want to make that p07 a viable suppressor host and I guess it could be with 124gr loads.

I appreciate the reply,

Nate
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 10:33:47 PM by Wobbly »

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 10:36:58 PM »
Order the Berry Mfg 147gr, or start looking at 135gr which are usually listed for 38Super, not 9mm.

There is an entire thread here on loads for the MBC 135gr IDP#8.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong?

Check out my reloading equipment for sale CLICK HERE

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 06:58:33 AM »
I have to ask, "Why 147's?"

I have a bucket of 9MM CZ's.  Steel framed, aluminum framed and plastic framed.  So far, none of them shoot 147's as well as they shoot 115 grain bullets.

Lead 147's, coated 147's, plated 147's, store bought Winchester 147's, none of them shoot like 115's.

Blue Dot, Tite Group, AA#5, Unique, and a couple other powders.

I hate to give up on them as I've got boxes of them in the garage.  Just bought some AA#7 to try but haven't gotten around to it.  I got so frustrated with the poor groups in the CZ 9's I even loaded up some .38 special brass (50 rounds) with some of the 147 grain lead bullets (I'll shoot them eventually) to see if I could use them up that way.

I know, you've already got the bullets.  Good luck.  If you do find something that works, come back to the thread and post pictures of the groups along with distance fired.  I won't ask for the exact load but it would be nice to know the powder you used.
I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline FALer

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 01:04:36 PM »
I have to ask, "Why 147's?"

I have a bucket of 9MM CZ's.  Steel framed, aluminum framed and plastic framed.  So far, none of them shoot 147's as well as they shoot 115 grain bullets.

Lead 147's, coated 147's, plated 147's, store bought Winchester 147's, none of them shoot like 115's.

Great question and I'm glad you asked it, I do have an answer for you.

I have a Rugged obsidian suppressor and I wanna be able to use it on the P07. I feel like most of the factory ammo out there being sold as subsonic is 147gr or higher.

I would like to be able to load my own 147gr speer lawman ish type of ammo. Ideally I'd find the pistol which requires the shortest COAL and load up a bunch of that and use it on everything. I can see that 147's might not be a possibility with this one, that's fine I'll try for a good 124gr sub load.

Offline FALer

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 01:07:57 PM »
Order the Berry Mfg 147gr, or start looking at 135gr which are usually listed for 38Super, not 9mm.

There is an entire thread here on loads for the MBC 135gr IDP#8.

Great idea, I'll do that.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 01:39:21 PM »
I have a couple/three 9's with threaded barrels and I keep "threatening" to go through the aggravation of the paperwork for a suppressor.  Just haven't done it yet.

You might try some different factory 147 grain ammo and see if you can find one that shoots well in your pistol.  Then, with the factory ammo info on velocity you might try to work towards a similar velocity with a similar bullet (like Speer 147 grain hollow points if factory Speer 147's shoot good groups and are reliable in your pistol.  Powder/primer would be the variables if you can get the same bullets as you can measure cartridge overall length of the factory ammo.

I bought an M&P 2.0 5" FDE awhile back that does NOT shoot my 115 grain reloads well or the factory Federal 115 grain FMJ ammo that also shoots very well in my CZ 9MM pistols.  I bought a bunch of factory ammo (box of this, box of that) and the best groups came from that Winchester 9MM 124 grain FMJ ammo marked NATO on the box.  Velocity of that stuff (according to Winchester) is about 1200 fps.  Fairly hot load, it seems as few powders I see in the reloading manuals will get me that velocity with that weight bullet.  But that's the goal.  Find/develop a load that will get me there with some 124 grain hollow points and along the way see if I get some good groups.

That might work with the 147's at some point, too.   Groundhogs are becoming a problem out behind my house and sometimes we even see them wandering around in the back yard.  I know the old Ruger Mk1 5.5" will kill'em dead with a head shot, but I can't help wondering what a 9MM hollow point would do (and a suppressed 9MM would be the thing to use for that - just for fun, you understand.)

Good luck with your load development.
I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline FALer

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 01:44:11 AM »
I have a couple/three 9's with threaded barrels and I keep "threatening" to go through the aggravation of the paperwork for a suppressor.  Just haven't done it yet.

That might work with the 147's at some point, too.   Groundhogs are becoming a problem out behind my house and sometimes we even see them wandering around in the back yard.  I know the old Ruger Mk1 5.5" will kill'em dead with a head shot, but I can't help wondering what a 9MM hollow point would do (and a suppressed 9MM would be the thing to use for that - just for fun, you understand.)

Good luck with your load development.
It's like anything in life, the timing has to be right. I procrastinated on suppressors for a couple years and on reloading for 10 ish years. Suppressors aren't the way, the source and the light like some folks make them out to be. They are a lot of fun and they do have their place for sure.
I think once you've gotten your 1st one underway you'll say the paperwork really wasn't that big of a deal, It's the wait for that first one that's hard and by the time you get to 5 or 6 you won't even think about it that much.

Offline aasbra

Recommend me a 147 gr bullet for my P07
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 07:27:16 PM »
My only experience with 147 grain loads in my CZs has been the Berry’s 147 grain.  I have only shot a few hundred, loaded with Winchester WSF and Alliant Sport Pistol powders, to shoot in my P-09, SP-01, and P10C suppressor ready handguns.  I run a silencerco octane and Osprey.  Think I also tried them in my Ruger PC carbine too.

I loaded them to an O.A.L. of about 1.16”, which seemed to work fine.  From the P10C, I was getting about 900-990 FPS with 3.7 to 4.1 grains of WSF, and 875-950 FPS with 3.25-3.6 grains of Sport Pistol.  Didn’t have the chrono with me when I shot them in the other guns.  First outing with the P10c, and groups at 25 yards weren’t great, but the loads with WSF in the P09 I fired before were better IIRC.  Need to load some more and continue testing.  As always, verify your loads to manufacturers published data.

I mostly shoot 125 grain coated lead bullets.  Went with the 147 to develop a suppressor load, as the 125 grain runs closer to 1200 FPS.  When I need to buy bullets next, I may try for a jacketed 135 grain as Wobbly suggested, if I can load it accurately at subsonic velocities.  Would be nice to just run one bullet for everything if it worked decent.  Also would prefer to shoot jacketed bullet rather than plated or coated bullets through the suppressors, although I haven’t noticed any lead issues in the cans with the limited testing I have done with the Berry’s, or other coated lead bullets in other subsonic applications (300 Blackout in rifle, for example).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 07:51:25 PM by aasbra »

Offline SoCal

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 07:35:31 PM »
I load Zero 147 JHP for my CZ's at 1.14, so another option.
If I had known how much better being retired is than working I would have done it FIRST.

Offline J Lee

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 07:45:03 PM »
I carry 147s(HST 147gr +P) for SD so I shoot 147s at the range.  Have been using SNS 147gr FP NLG for a while and get great results from all my CZs using WSF powder.  Great accuracy so no reason to confuse things. My wife just took my P07 but my P01 and 09 still get the SNS load.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 10:31:06 AM by J Lee »
James

Offline Smitty79

• So many guns, so little time
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 07:50:05 PM »
I shoot 147s all the time in CZs.  I load to 1.125 and have to sort for the right brass.   Win, Rem, Blazer, Federal, Armscor, Speer, Starline all work.   CBC is horrible.   SNS or Acme flat point work best. 
Don't mistake my high post count for knowledge or wisdom.   I just like hearing myself type.

Offline FALer

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 10:15:49 PM »
Lots of suggestions so far, I guess I'm gonna have to order some small quantities from a few different manufacturers and find out for myself.

Offline SoCal

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 11:46:13 AM »
That's the best way, find out what works best for you.
If I had known how much better being retired is than working I would have done it FIRST.

anything