Author Topic: Products to clean guns.  (Read 11006 times)

Offline Hammer Time

Re: Products to clean guns.
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2020, 03:32:55 PM »

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2020, 08:01:33 PM »
WD-40 is not a lubricant, it evaporates. WD-40 is a water displacement product, use it to remove water from wet items, like auto spark plug wires. Your gun will seize up once the WD-40 dries.

WD-40 may be used only as an external protectant, and a regular Oil or grease should be used as Lubricant.  Application of Firearms in storage, should be at least yearly or annual.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline ZanderMan

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2020, 10:27:33 PM »
WD-40 may be used only as an external protectant, and a regular Oil or grease should be used as Lubricant.  Application of Firearms in storage, should be at least yearly or annual.
WD-40 as a protectant?

No.

Step away from the spray.
Used to own a CZ Jawa...

Offline the war wagon

• Mafioso of the Apocalypse
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2020, 10:52:43 PM »
Weapon Shield - made right here in Bethel Park, PA ('bout 10 miles south of Pittsburgh)!   8)
- Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Offline earlybirdnj

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2020, 11:37:59 AM »
BreakfreeCLP or Slip2000 for me.

Offline eltell

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2020, 06:05:02 PM »
I've read a few reviews and a lot of people recommend the oil used for sewing machines as a lubricant. It's a light grade and also a lot cheaper than some standard gun oils. Have used it a few times on a glock and the cz and seems to work.
Anyone else tried it?

Offline jurek

• NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2020, 07:51:44 PM »
I've read a few reviews and a lot of people recommend the oil used for sewing machines as a lubricant. It's a light grade and also a lot cheaper than some standard gun oils. Have used it a few times on a glock and the cz and seems to work.
Anyone else tried it?

Any oil / lubricant with smoke point over 350F will work. You can even use sunflower oil... Lube has to minimize the friction and distribute heat over the firearm... no other magic.
I've never tried sewing machine oil, but I'm sure it will work.

Offline Mercs

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2020, 10:16:16 PM »
I’m a closet fan of ALG Go Juice tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline crosstimbers

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2020, 10:37:10 AM »
BreakfreeCLP or Slip2000 for me.

I don't know what the deal is, but Breakfree seems to have disappeared from the shelves of stores near me. I know its still made because I can find it online, but for some reason its pretty well gone locally. I started noticing this some time back, so it isn't a mere lapse in supply to local stores- by which I mean Academy, Cabelas, and before the nearest one closed Gander Mountain.
It's not saving any water if you have to flush it over and over....

Offline eastman

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2020, 07:27:38 PM »
They just changed up the package design on Breakfree CLP, so it may have been a supply interruption during the transition?

I can find it here nearly everywhere. Been using it for over 35 years.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline crosstimbers

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2020, 02:04:54 PM »
They just changed up the package design on Breakfree CLP, so it may have been a supply interruption during the transition?

I can find it here nearly everywhere. Been using it for over 35 years.

Yeah, me too (been using it forever), but I haven't seen it in any of the stores I visit for some time....as in a couple years maybe. I have bought it online though, so I dunno. Then again I live in the country and the stores I actually visit is a short list, and very infrequently.
It's not saving any water if you have to flush it over and over....

Offline stevezio99

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2020, 02:08:52 PM »
I have used G96 for many years. Love it

Offline cousinmark

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2020, 08:26:50 AM »
If I'm working in the garage, for barrels and slides it's hard to beat Hoppe's 9 for cleaning. I usually wipe things down with Ballistol after cleaning, it leaves a microscopic film for lubricity and protection. I like to use 92% alcohol to wipe out the inside of magazines and frames of pistols. I try to keep anything "oily" out of the frames.
Inside in the living room the smell of those things are bad medicine with Mrs cousinmark, it's better to live to fight another day kinda thing :-) Inside the acceptable solution is Battleborn Breakthrough cleaner. It's non toxic, essentially odor free and actually works surprisingly well. The synthetic oil they offer is also an excellent non toxic, odorless product. Though not for cleaning their grease is outstanding for rails, a seriously Goldilocks product. Best of all I don't wind up "pi$$ing off the genie".
...on a related note for lever rifles I like Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber for cleaning actions. I suppose it'd work well for the inside of a pistol frame, never used it. Might want to remove any wood furniture prior to blasting that in there though. If your wife is anything like mine I'd suggest not even bringing the can of Birchwood Casey into the house!!!
I know there's a bunch of things that can work but considering what I spend on ammo I can live with dropping a few bucks on cleaning products. JMO

Offline PappaWheelie

• "This is war, and in war, time is of the essence."
    • The Children's Bread
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2020, 01:15:12 PM »
I haven't tested Ballistol, but Break-Free CLP has climbed to the top of a fair pile of products that I have tested.
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=106386.msg825500#msg825500
PM me if you'd like to see Ballistol added to the mix and are willing to send me a tiny sample: I've accumulated too many also-rans to justify investing in a lifetime supply of Ballistol.

Same goes for a sample of G96 Synthetic CLP Gun Oil, btw.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 01:20:46 PM by PappaWheelie, Reason: Added G96 note »
Member, Gun Owners of America
CC: CZ 2075 RAMI BD in PappaWheelie Invisible 15 Round RAMI Holster
Homeboy: CZ 97 BD, Underwood 45 Super 120 Grain Xtreme Defender ammo
UBG: CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical Urban Grey Suppressor-ready
-all w/ CGW Short Reset Kit/1485-T2 Disco, 5 "Thick" Trigger, polished SA tooth

Offline CZShooterP01

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2020, 04:28:12 PM »
Anybody else use Butch’s Bore Cleaner? Really harsh smell but the fumes aren’t as bad as some of the stuff that comes in aerosol cans. I like it the best for deep cleaning my guns. I’ve gone away from Hoppes, Froglube and CLP. Now I just use Butch’s to clean and a few drops of synthetic gun oil to lube.