Author Topic: What would you recommend for 45 ACP bullets in a Springfield 1911 for accuracy?  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Dan_69GTX

I don't recall seeing a post where someone states what 45 ACP bullet they like, so I'm asking.  I want accuracy, not looking for the cheapest.

It will be used in a Springfield 1911 for having fun plinking as well as steel shoots in a single stack division.  Maybe 3k rounds a year will be loaded.

I know for 9mm the PD124 JHP or the Zero is recommended for accuracy - I use the PD124. 

So, before I grab some bullets from various sources to test (which I really don't have time to do), I figured I'd ask, get a few hundred, load and see how they do in my gun - and just test various powders instead of various powders and various bullets.  I'll do that last part later when/if I ever get more time.
Some trust in chassis, Some in Horsepower, But we trust in the Lord our God.

If it goes "boom" or "vroom" I'm intersted.

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
 All my 45 auto pistols like about any 200 grain bullet with a mild load of W-231 or Univ. clays I use a lot of Everglades 200 gr. plated RN bullets and Bayou coated 200 gr. SWC's both are very accurate and are often sale priced.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 01:42:18 AM by lewmed, Reason: miss spelling »

Offline Dan_69GTX

Good to know - thanks!

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

200 gr bullets tend to be the most accurate. John Browning specified a bullet in that weight when he designed the 1911 but it was the all knowing brilliant guberment that wanted the 230 grain projectile.

Offline Dan_69GTX

200 gr bullets tend to be the most accurate. John Browning specified a bullet in that weight when he designed the 1911 but it was the all knowing brilliant guberment that wanted the 230 grain projectile.

Never knew that....another world of knowledge I have stumbled into with using and reloading for a 1911.

Thanks!

Offline Earl Keese

My 97 loves  Acme 200swc's with Vhit N310. Not the softest shooting load, but very accurate at 25yds.

Offline Ken6PPC

It is difficult to beat a 200 grain Zero lead SWC over 4.0 grains of VV N310...  Won't make major power factor though, in case that is important to you. 

http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RZD&Product_Code=R117-A&Category_Code=ZSB-45ACP

Offline Raven45

I highly recommend the offerings from Montana Gold

http://montanagoldbullet.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=.45

Offline czluvr

175 or 200gr Lead Semi Wadcutter over Bullseye and most any 185gr JHP, Zero, PD, Nosler CC sitting on a load of Titegroup. These all shoot good in all my 1911's and my 97B

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
• The 45ACP bullet is moving too slow to require jacketing, unless you personally have lead issues.

• Lead 200gr SWC is the standard target bullet for 50+ years. Coated with no grove might be optimal.

• You seat the bullet by the location of the shoulder, NOT the OAL. It needs that shoulder protrusion to feed correctly. You buy one brand of bullet to get consistent shoulder locations, then you play with the OAL to get your gun to feed. 0.010" either way can be the difference between jamming and shooting. In fact, you really want a die that seats by pushing on the shoulder, NOT the meplat.

• This type bullet also requires top-notch magazines. Unlike the 230gr RN, this bullet has a way of choking in cheap, copy-cat mags.

Hope this helps.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Dan_69GTX

Thanks!  All is very helpful.

I'll have to look and see what anvil(s) I have for the 45ACP seating die.  I've only ever loaded RN with it and never was concerned about the loads other than function due to the gun they were being used in was moderately accurate.

Offline lewmed

• 135th & 240th AHC Vietnam 1967-1968
 I have shot and reloaded the 45 auto cartridge for over 40 years and got tired of the mess from lead bullets so have switched to coated or plated bullets the cost is about the same as long as you buy in bulk about 70 lbs.  The lead or coated lead SWC may be a little more accurate than plated RN bullets but the ease of loading and not having to worry about the distance of the shoulder to the mouth of the case is why I choose Everglades 200 grain plated. I can keep 9 out of 10 rounds in 2" at 15 yards with my Colt 1911 or my CZ 97bd and I don't shoot from a bench or sand bag I'm 72 years old and enjoy blowing big holes in targets. I use only Fed. primers and no fancy powders just W231, Bullseye and Univ. Clays have fun keep reloading and shooting life it good.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator

So True!!!  :)  John Browning was right too!  8)

In the past when I shot Cast lead Bullets, I had excellent results with the Lyman #452460 200 grain SWC, over a charge of Alliant Red Dot.

Currently, I'm loading Berry's 200 grain Flat Point over a charge of Alliant Red Dot, loaded to a velocity of 850 fps, to make USPSA Major.
For Plinking and Bullseye shooting, I only load to make 800 fps or so.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

anything