Author Topic: What year was the PCR introduced?  (Read 514 times)

Offline nettle

What year was the PCR introduced?
« on: August 06, 2019, 07:57:51 PM »
I did some searching tonight and although I did find a lot of info on PCR's I couldn't find the first year of manufacture. Could someone please help me out?

Offline Tok36

Re: What year was the PCR introduced?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 09:19:42 PM »
My guess is around the year 2000 but CZ history has never been a strong subject of mine. I too am interested to hear a solid answer on your question. Thank you for the post.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline maine9mm

• "..go buy a sword.." - God Himself
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 05:34:18 PM »
Mine has the "00" date stamp so at least that early.
75D PCR
P-01 OD
SP-01 Tactical
Sphinx SDP Compact
a few others...

Offline Insert

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 09:43:24 PM »
2000 seems to be the date of introduction. I think there's also '99 stamped 75C's with decockers or that get mistaken for PCRs.

Offline maine9mm

• "..go buy a sword.." - God Himself
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 03:27:50 PM »
Alright maybe a different thread. What is the difference between 75C decocker and a PCR? Other than the PCR stamp for Czech Rep Police?
75D PCR
P-01 OD
SP-01 Tactical
Sphinx SDP Compact
a few others...

Offline Insert

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 06:17:03 PM »
There were some 75C w/ decockers I believe made for Israel and/or other reason. The difference is the steel  frame of the Compact along with the standard dust cover cut, scalloped slide, no LCI and standard sight dovetail.

Offline Psyop96

What year was the PCR introduced?
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 03:09:55 AM »
Most of this information was sourced from the Legenda Jménem CZ book by David Pazdera. As it is a Czech language book, an e-translation app was primarily used for gleaning the info  so no guarantee of 100% accuracy:

The alloy framed CZ 75 D Compact started production in 1997. The first production run pistols looked like the one in the photos below with the noticeable lack of a scallop in the front of the frame as well as a slimmer decocker lever. It had the top LCI. It was during the Czech police tender offer that some changes were made to the frame’s design, including the ledge above the grip area. The letters “MOD. PCR” were added to the slide just ahead of the ejection port. While the “PCR” name stands for Policie Ceské Republiky (the text format here does not recognize the letter c with the há?ek), it was not the version of the CZ 75 D Compact that was accepted by the national police. The D Compact PCR version entered mass production in October 1999 and was mostly intended for the US market although it is also sold in the home country.

The police tender offers from the latter part of the 90s eventually led to the further modified design of the CZ 75 D Compact into the pistol form known mostly in the the US as the P-01. Mass production began in 2001 to include pistols for the police contract. Earlier versions had a low profile rear sight similar in looks to the standard PCR rear sight and proprietary rail mount that was later replaced with Mil-Std-1913 (can be seen in the surplus pistols from the early 2000s). The “P-01” compact is the standard sidearm of the national police. The local municipalities have generally gone along with the adoption of the same pistol although on rare occasion, one can spot an individual municipal officer carrying a different sidearm (a Glock compact in this case..LOL).

For the police trials in 96-97 and 99-00, CZUB submitted the standard full sized CZ 75 BD, an alloy frame Compact with the name “CZ 75 BD Compact” and the DAO CZ 100. Interestingly, there is an earlier roll-marked “CZ 75 BD Compact” based on a steel frame. This is probably the origin of the surplus, steel framed decockers mostly made in 1999 although I have seen a couple stamped with 2002 manufacture year.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 03:25:41 AM by Psyop96 »

Offline nettle

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 01:09:07 PM »
Psyob96, thank for your detailed reply. Very much appreciated!