Author Topic: Racking the Slide  (Read 985 times)

Offline ron85305

Racking the Slide
« on: August 09, 2019, 03:47:16 PM »
Anyone with arthritis in their support hand have any problems racking the slide of a 75B?

Offline Tok36

Re: Racking the Slide
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 04:15:26 PM »
Though i do not have this issue i have seen it come up a few times on the forums. The best option i have heard is to reduce the weight of the recoil spring a bit. Pre cocking the hammer can also reduce the force required to rack the slide.

I am also interested to her the input of other forum members on the topic.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline TNman

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 04:41:44 PM »
Spring are probably the best answer, alongwith making sure your guide rails are highly polished.

I have installed ARACngrips on my slide. They don't lighten the pull but makes holding on to the slide when racking a much more manageable task.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

IDPA   |   USPSA  |   NRA

CZ PCR   |   RAMI BD   |   Shadow 2   |   P-10 C   |   CZ 75B Omega

Sig P320 C & F
Sig P226 Legion
Sig P320 X-Carry
Springfield XDS Mod 2 45

Offline Jav_eee

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 05:56:17 PM »
I’d venture to say that the hammer is also causing it to feel heavy. Pull the hammer back before you rack it and I bet it’ll be lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 01:11:43 AM »
A handful of years back, I busted-up my Elbow and in doing so tore my Ulnar Nerve
This caused me to loose Grip Strength and couldn't grip the Slide to rake it
Joe (75plus) suggested using a piece of Automotive Heater Hose
I asked the guys at the local Parts Store if I could bring my B-SA in and we found the right sized Hose that fit, both around the Barrel, but also fit inside the Dustcover
Bought a piece about 4" and used it to push the Slide back by pushing the Barrel into the Hose while pushing the Hose against the Bench
Worked GREAT
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 12:51:04 PM by DenStinett »
So tell me again how Trump will be worse then the 8 years before HIM !

Offline ron85305

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 11:55:25 AM »
Thank you guys so much.

Offline ron85305

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 12:37:08 PM »
TNman, I looked at them and I was wondering if the Spider Grips for the P-07 or the P-09 would fit my full size 75B and also SP01.  I didn't see any listed for those.  Which one did you get for yours?

Offline tde44

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 11:00:26 AM »
Pre-cocking the slide works for me.  I also sometimes grab the rear sight as well.

Offline TNman

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 11:47:54 AM »
TNman, I looked at them and I was wondering if the Spider Grips for the P-07 or the P-09 would fit my full size 75B and also SP01.  I didn't see any listed for those.  Which one did you get for yours?
They have a set for the Shadow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

IDPA   |   USPSA  |   NRA

CZ PCR   |   RAMI BD   |   Shadow 2   |   P-10 C   |   CZ 75B Omega

Sig P320 C & F
Sig P226 Legion
Sig P320 X-Carry
Springfield XDS Mod 2 45

Offline RoverSig

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 12:09:40 PM »
The pistols that I own - the CZ-75BD, FNX-9, and Springfield XD-E -- were all chosen because 1. I prefer DA/SA and 2. I can rack them.  The Springfield XD-E is the easiest pistol of all to rack, in my experience (the S&W M&P 380 EZ is reportedly exceptionally easy to rack too, but that's a different sort of pistol, in a minor caliber, and actually a sort of 'hammerless' DA only operation - a great pistol for people who cotton to it, though). 

I agree with the suggestion to cock the hammer to lessen the resistance to the racking the slide.

I use the 'overhand' grip, although this group of pistols will work for me in the classic two finger pull-it-back grip too.  It has a lot to do with their excellent grip serrations.  But the overhand grip improves the "geometry" in how my thumb can press against the serrations and get a good grip.

The limitation of the CZ-75 family is the height of the slide (and the grip serrations) which for me just means I have to be a little more careful where to set my fingers/thumb.

Good luck to the OP is working through these options in order to make that CZ-75 work well. 

Offline Oldwolf

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 02:22:34 PM »
Pre-cocking the hammer helps a lot. Sometimes my fingers slip off the serrations and the result is a small cut on my skin, but the pre-cock seems to alleviate this issue.
SP-01 Shadow Target Custom
75 SA

Offline rudals1281

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 08:39:26 AM »
I don't have any arthritis but my Shadow 2 definitely needs more real estate to grab on.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 12:19:33 PM »
As mentioned pre-cocking helps the most. 2nd would be pushing the grip forward while pushing the upper toward each other helps also.
, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

A rubber band pistol was confiscated from an algebra class because it was a weapon of math disruption.

Offline ron85305

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2019, 06:27:26 PM »
Thanks, guys.

anything