Author Topic: My long-awaited P01 Omega  (Read 1178 times)

Offline baldrage

My long-awaited P01 Omega
« on: August 11, 2019, 08:31:29 AM »
I finally scraped together enough pennies (and wife approval points) to purchase my second CZ, a new P01 Omega.  This is going to be my spare gun for IDPA matches and pistol classes, backing up my SP01 Shadow Custom with the panoply of CGW upgrades. 

CZP01 Omega by baldrage, on Flickr

I took the new pistol out to the range earlier this week for its first live-fire function testing and shake-down.  Attached is a picture of the first shots on a five-inch circle target at five yards, shot free-style, strong-hand, and weak-hand. 
Omega First Shots by baldrage, on Flickr

Everything functioned just fine.  No problems running my standard competition load (Precision Delta 124 gr JHP over 4 gr Sport Pistol powder).  The Omega even fit in my bladetech holster for my SP01, so I don't need to rush out and buy a new holster for it.  It fit my hand very well, just like every CZ I have picked up, and the SA trigger was very nice, right about at 3 lbs according to my el-cheapo analog trigger gauge.

In terms of negatives, they are pretty small at first blush.  Recoil was a bit snappier compared to my Shadow, but that's to be expected. The DA trigger is REALLY heavy --  my trigger gauge only goes up to 12 lbs, and the DA trigger pull on the Omega is several pounds heavier than that.  I'll swap out the hammer spring with a 17 lb one I have laying around and see what that does to the DA pull.  The only other negative was another one I expected, and that was inadvertently engaging the decocker when firing.  I have big hands and ride the safety on my Shadow with my support strong-hand hand thumb when shooting, so it was hard for me to not do that on the Omega.  However, this is not really an issue since I can and will just swap out the decockers for safeties, which is why I picked the Omega over the PCR.

I also tested the Omega with my Kadet kit.  I had requested a new slide stop from CZ-USA and used the one they sent me with the Omega.  It fed all of my Fed bulk and CCI .22 ammo just fine.  Had a few light strikes that a second trigger set off, but that could be ammo-related.  Only real problem I experienced was that the Kadet slide would occasionally lock back on a still-loaded magazine, and the decocker obviously did not function with the Kadet slide.

Bottom line:  I am very pleased with the initial testing of the Omega.  There are a few things to do to tweak this pistol for my tastes, but it will serve my purpose as a spare gun for competition and classes very well.

Pic below of my Omega and its big brother Shadow.
Omega and Shadow by baldrage, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 08:17:20 AM by baldrage »

Offline Tanners Owner

Re: My long-awaited P01 Omega
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 08:53:00 AM »
Congrats, sounds like you have a winner. I love my P01 Omega, more so since its been cajunized.
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 03:20:30 PM »
" However, this is not really an issue since I can and will just swap out the decockers for safeties, which is why I picked the Omega over the PCR."

Bingo!  Both mine (P07 Omegas) and the P07/P09 pistols all got the safeties installed.

Not sure what the DA trigger pull on mine are, I never shoot them that way.

Good luck with it and have fun.
I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline Insert

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 08:04:36 PM »
Welcome to the club!  8)

Offline thedude

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 09:14:54 PM »
Check the safety lever before you install it, saw this guys video and his had some burrs on it that needed to be removed.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 06:43:39 AM »
Never noticed a burr, but the black one I bought could have had one.

The Urban Gray P01 I bought a couple/three years ago converted from decocker to safety with no issues.

When I bought the black one last year the left side safety would not fully insert.  I tried it a few times,  no luck.  Grabbed the UG P01 and removed the safety levers and they inserted easily into the black pistol.  Then I took the safety levers that came with the black one and they inserted into the UG pistol.  At that point I was happy and didn't investigate further.

Maybe there was a burr on one safety and larger than usual frame hole in the other pistol????

And, he could speed up that first shot from the holster quite a bit if he wasn't trying to thumb cock the P01 like it was an old Colt SAA.  I hope he never has to use it seriously.
I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline Claymore504

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 07:04:46 PM »
Congrats on the P01 Omega. I got the UG/SR Omega model and love it. Really heavey DA as well. Some CGW parts and it is amazing. One of my favorite CZ handguns for sure!

Offline JD Miller

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 08:51:57 PM »
Congrats on the P-01 omega

I watched one vid so far on the omega trig vs standard...... Sounded like the DA pull is harder/ heavier and the SA pull lighter ?...?  ..? ..?

What's you thoughts on the omega vs standard trig?

Offline baldrage

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 03:35:28 PM »
Congrats on the P-01 omega

I watched one vid so far on the omega trig vs standard...... Sounded like the DA pull is harder/ heavier and the SA pull lighter ?...?  ..? ..?

What's you thoughts on the omega vs standard trig?

Hard for me to compare omega vs. standard trigger, as my SP01 Shadow has the cajun RRK and race hammer and isn't what I would consider "standard."  However, I can say the omega in SA is pretty nice, about 3#, with a pretty clean break.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 03:40:25 PM »
I replaced the hammer spring with a 17# spring I had laying around (used a few times in SP01 to see if I could get more reliable performance withe Kadet Kit).  I also swapped out the decockers and installed the safeties.  The P01 Omega dry-fired very nicely with these changes and I took it to the range last night to see how it functioned in live fire.

Bad news:  pistol did not function properly.  It would stovepipe on every shot, with the empty casing stuck back in the chamber, almost is if it were stuck on the firing pin.  After every shot I would have to lock open the slide, then pry the empty casing out with a small screwdriver.  I have not yet disassembled the pistol to try and trouble-shoot, but I welcome any thoughts on what might have caused this?  Perhaps I reinstalled magazine brake incorrectly? sear/ejector not seated properly?

Offline viking499

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 04:06:55 PM »
Put the factory hammer spring back in and try it.

Offline OnlyHereForEE

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 10:50:01 AM »
I’m jealous, awesome pistol

Offline baldrage

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 08:55:42 AM »
Put the factory hammer spring back in and try it.

Trouble-shooting attempt #1.  I put the factory hammer spring back in.  No dice -- still got 100% failure to eject, with empty shell casing stuck at the rear of the chamber.  Had to lock the slide back and flick it out with my finger nail to clear the empty case.

Next step I think is to disassemble and fiddle with the ejector, make sure it is seated properly.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 08:50:51 AM »
Update:  removed and fiddled with the safeties.  Felt like the left-side safety was not fully seated/flush against the slide, but in my ham-fisted poking and prodding, I hit the small spring that holds the small safety plate in place and the plate went flying, never to be found. 

I re-installed the decockers and took the pistol out to the range last night for some test-firing.  Everything functioned fine, so the FTE issue was definitely related to improper installation of the safeties.

Offline UnknownFive

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2019, 07:16:43 PM »
Nice Rig