Author Topic: New P01 really throws the brass  (Read 865 times)

Offline Kenneth07ex

New P01 really throws the brass
« on: August 11, 2019, 10:45:36 AM »
Took my unfired P01 out back yesterday, and shot a hundred rounds. I noticed that it sends brass further than what I'm used to. Being thrown further really makes finding them tougher.

So here's a question. Is this issue permanent? Will the original springs loosen up, or should I expect the brass to keep flying twenty feet? FWIW, I'll eventually be doing some improvements on the trigger, and the trigger pull. So I'm expecting to probably lighten a spring or two. I'm guessing that this will help with this problem?

Offline Vinny

Re: New P01 really throws the brass
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 11:06:23 AM »
Twenty feet seems quite unusual. My P-01 brass ends up within 6'.
What type/brand ammo??
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline christak

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 11:26:02 AM »
All my CZs really sling brass...my 2 P-01s are no exception. Mine go more like 10 to 12 feet. No real change after roughly 1500 rounds through each. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 11:57:47 AM »
I guess 10-12 feet is normal, depending on how HOT the ammo is and how weak the recoil springs are. You did say new, does that mean Factory new, or new to you??

Anyhow....Here's a link to previous discussion and suggestions on same topic:

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=101582.msg785702#msg785702

Good luck and keep us posted.
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 12:21:43 PM »
Interesting timing of the topic.....
Yesterday I tested some different ammo. 
It was Federal SYNTECH Training Match in 124 grain.

In both my P-01 and P-07 - the brass went right straight up and pinged off my forehead or shooting glasses.  So far, that’s the only ammo that’s consistently done that.  It didn’t do it with the SP-01 or the little Sig P290RS though.  I am not sure what part of the mechanics of projectile weight, powder charge or barrel length would make it that consistent, but it was.  The brass all fell right at my feet.

Weird!

Offline Kenneth07ex

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 02:43:58 PM »
Okay, twenty feet might be a stretch. But it's an easy fifteen for the outliers. Most are within the five , or so feet that I'm used to. But five to seven per mag, are going way out there. The ammo used is walmart, cheap, federal 115gr.

Until yesterday, this gun was new, and unfired. Except of course whatever they do at the factory. The gun didn't come with the factory test fire sheet. But there was some obvious wear on the rails. No surprise there, as I've read about that, so was expecting that.

Just asking if this is a temporary condition, hopefully easing up once the gun wears in a bit, not complaining. If it's permanent, with no fix, I'd just have to make some kinda backstop. I do have a couple of guns that make a small circle of brass. But most fling brass across eight feet or so. Side note; I shoot the exact same ammo in all my nines.

Thanks for the link Vinny, I'll check it out.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 04:42:36 PM »
It's most likely not a temporary condition.  I would look up the factory recoil spring weight and buy a new one rated for a pound or two more. That will slow the slide down and reduce that shell throw. It's also possible that your current recoil spring is faulty and not the proper spring weight. If it were mine, I would call CZ, tell them the distance it's throwing, and maybe they will send you a new spring to try at no charge.

Offline Kenneth07ex

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 04:49:52 PM »
It's most likely not a temporary condition.  I would look up the factory recoil spring weight and buy a new one rated for a pound or two more. That will slow the slide down and reduce that shell throw. It's also possible that your current recoil spring is faulty and not the proper spring weight. If it were mine, I would call CZ, tell them the distance it's throwing, and maybe they will send you a new spring to try at no charge.
Of all my nines, this one is much harder to rack the slide than the rest. I hate to think what a stiffer spring would cause. But I understand your point. Based on what I've read so far, It sounds like I'll just have to get used to it. Not really that big a deal really. Just curiosity mostly.

anything