Author Topic: CZ 527 American and Carbine in 7.62 x 39  (Read 1097 times)

Offline AZboy

CZ 527 American and Carbine in 7.62 x 39
« on: August 19, 2019, 01:56:11 PM »
I've heard that the 527 American and especially the Carbine were designed for steel cased ammo and don't perform as well with American brass ammo.  Any experiences or comments along these lines would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline Ron M.

Re: CZ 527 American and Carbine in 7.62 x 39
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 07:22:00 PM »
If you don't reload you may have some problems with some brass cased ammo. My carbine shoots Fiocchi, S&B, and Prvi Partizan with no issues, I get maybe a 5% misfire rate with Hornady and Federal brass case ammo. It usually fires on a second strike. If you reload, just neck size and find the best bullet for your intended use. I reload all of my hunting ammo and over the last 10 years have never had a failure.

Offline crosstimbers

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 12:43:27 PM »
I have a 527 American and a 527 carbine, however the American is in .223. The Carbine is 7.62x39, I've shot both brass case and steel case ammo in it, but much more steel than brass. I don't recall any FTF. I did however notice that feeding seemed a bit more smooth with the steel, which I thought odd. I don't use lacquered steel cases, just the poly coated ones.

Offline 5Wire

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 05:06:44 PM »
Late to the thread. Oops.

I have the Carbine in 7.62 X 39 and I luvvit.

Here's what CZ says about the ammo:

"Built to CIP specifications, our 7.62×39 chambers are ideal for shooting steel-cased surplus ammo. Designed to shoot .311 bullets, some American brass ammo may not perform as well as the imported steel-cased variety because of SAAMI brass dimensions and varying bullet diameters."

CZ site

Here are a couple targets I shot six years ago when I got the rifle.

Offline KnightSchneider

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 12:10:10 PM »
I have had very good luck with my suppressor ready carbine.  It has shot Russian ammo more accurately then Russian spec:

Here is 8v3 at 100 yds:

I have a primary arms 1-6 w/ ACSS reticle, so not the hugest amount of magnification.

I have not put any brass cased ammo through it, as I don’t buy brass case 7.62x39.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some will die in hot pursuit in fiery auto crashes.
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes.
Some will fall in love with life, and drink it from a fountain, that's pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Offline YoungPatriot

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 10:07:21 PM »
I have had very good luck with my suppressor ready carbine.  It has shot Russian ammo more accurately then Russian spec:

Here is 8v3 at 100 yds:

I have a primary arms 1-6 w/ ACSS reticle, so not the hugest amount of magnification.

I have not put any brass cased ammo through it, as I don’t buy brass case 7.62x39.

Nice shooting.  What scope rings are you using with the PA 1-6?  Any issues clearing the ocular bell with the bolt handle?

Offline KnightSchneider

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 09:27:22 AM »
The rings are Warne Maxima medium height.

They just clear...about 1/16” clearance for the scope cap cover

Some will die in hot pursuit in fiery auto crashes.
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes.
Some will fall in love with life, and drink it from a fountain, that's pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Offline jfm81

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 07:09:25 PM »
I bought a 7.62 x 39 527 a couple of months ago.  I shoot fairly often, but what I would consider casual target shooting.  When I read that the CZ perform well with steel case ammo, I was happy since the ammo price would be that of my 223's which I shoot steel in as well.  I used Barnaul lacquered case in the 527 and it has functioned perfectly so far.  I can get that for about $4.50/box of 20 which is good as I usually shoot 40 at a session.  Interestingly enough, my target that was sent with the rifle used Sellier & Bellot ammo.

anything