Author Topic: No love for the CZ Drake?  (Read 7354 times)

Offline PPS1980

No love for the CZ Drake?
« on: August 21, 2019, 07:04:48 PM »
My daughter joined the Clays team at high school (its nice having the best shot in school for a daughter).  Being a Rifle/Pistol family it was all new to us.  Talked with friends, reviewed materials online, handled some entry level O&U shotguns and landed on the Drake in 12ga.  Gotta say, if it holds up its a darn nice shotgun for $600. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline rdcinhou

• Coat of Arms for Uherský Brod
Re: No love for the CZ Drake?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 09:09:08 PM »
The Texas Dove Hunters magazine usually sports a full-page advertisement for CZ shotguns.

In Sealy, Texas there is a range which has a lot of CZ shotguns for rental.  I haven't been there...yet.

At the CZ demo day at Houston's Athena Gun Club, I got to see and handle the new CZ 1012 (successor to the CZ 712 semi-automatic shotgun).

CZ24/27/38/40P/45/52, Vzor 50/70,75BΩ,75D Compact,P01/07/09,P10M/S/C/F(9mm,.45), Phantom,SP01 Tactical,Shadow 2 (Blue,Urban Gray), 82/83/85 PreB, 97BE,97BD,97BDE,100,1911A1, 2075D RAMI,452 American,550 Urban Counter Sniper,805 Bren S1,Drake G2,Duo,Z,vz24 8mm Mauser,FK 7.5 BRNO Field Pistol, PSD

Offline PharmerTony

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 10:30:42 PM »
I’m also interested in the drake , but am surprised by its lack of press. How are you liking it?

Offline Gducoing

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 02:57:43 AM »
It'll get the job done for sure.
Shot the heck out of mine the first few weeks I got it (couple thousand rounds) and handled it like a champ. Had to change out the butt pad though. Took a good beating on my shoulder.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline DeltaGray

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 09:04:29 PM »
I do not know about CZ Drakes but I like posts about youth and/or ladies who try shotguns.  For rdcinhou, that Texas Dove Hunter folks call CZ's pro shooter, David Miller, a friend.  I was in a workshop class with the dove hunter magazine owners husband and wife as well as Dave Miller and Texas Parks & Wildlife (TPWD) game wardens and TX scientists and also two of us sporting clay instructors.  I am also a volunteer TX hunter education instructor.  The TPWD communication director chose me to attend the dove hunting 101 workshop.  I purchased my CZ pump 612 after speaking with Dave.  Dave or David Miller is sometimes on Gun Dog TV show where he talks about shotguns, dogs and also hunting birds. 

Offline TactGrp

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 11:40:09 AM »
DeltaGray - what would you recommend for an Over/Under for sporting clays?  I just bought a 1012 .12, still pending release under IL law.  I currently run a SKB O/U with Gracoil, but would like to change to a CZ. 
Thanks!

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 01:53:09 PM »
I had a Canvasback and it was a great shotgun but at the time it had a shiney chrome finish that flashed all over the dove field. I thought about have it cerrakoted but eventually sold it.
I sure the Drake will be just as good as my Canvasback was. I personally don't like the gap between the barrels but that is just my personal preference.

I just ordered a CZ Teal from BPS 699 on sale. It is supposed to be a Redhead Premiere with black receiver which is what I wanted.
I love for kids to get involved in shooting!

Offline Mr Smith

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 01:18:33 PM »
Had my Drake for a few years now. Had to have some warranty work done on it as the barrel selector stopped working properly, but CZ took care of it and got it working nicely. According to CZ the action/hardware in all of their over/unders is pretty much the same across the board. I prefer the extractors over ejectors anyway. less to go wrong and less cleanup.

Changing the recoil pad is a must on them though. The factory recoil pad is terrible. I've thought about adding some weight to the stock as well, but we'll see.

I'm also in the process of changing to some extended chokes on it as I use it primarily for sporting clays. it sees at least 125rds through it every Sunday at the range. Will find out this Sunday how the new extended chokes perform.

It would be nice if CZ/HUGLU standardized these guns and sold replacement/interchangeable stocks and recoil pads for them all, but they don't. :( honestly I bet they would make a lot of extra money if they did.