Author Topic: DA/SA trigger finger placement  (Read 439 times)

Offline dbarn

DA/SA trigger finger placement
« on: August 29, 2019, 12:49:01 PM »
For those who compete and use a DA/SA trigger, are you using between the tip and first joint of finger, or do you use the first joint of your trigger finger?

Of those who use the first joint, can you tell me the advantages?

Offline recoilguy

Re: DA/SA trigger finger placement
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 05:20:00 PM »
I would do not and would not use the first joint.
Why?
Because there is no advantage I can see.

RCG
What I lack in speed , I make up for with inaccuracy

Offline Blueknight

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 12:31:43 AM »
For those who compete and use a DA/SA trigger, are you using between the tip and first joint of finger, or do you use the first joint of your trigger finger?

It depends on a few things.  The trigger reach of the pistol, relative to the size of your hand, length of trigger travel, length of trigger finger, strength of trigger finger. 

So how can you know what is right FOR YOU?  Remember, the goal is being able to press the trigger to the rear without moving the pistol, ie., disturbing your sight alignment or sight picture. 

Using the pad is only a starting point, each individual will typically have to add more or less based on results and what works best for them.

Using the first pad is only a general starting point

Offline dbarn

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 07:48:34 AM »

So how can you know what is right FOR YOU?  Remember, the goal is being able to press the trigger to the rear without moving the pistol, ie., disturbing your sight alignment or sight picture. 

Exactly! My hands are medium and my fingers are long. With slim grips my trigger finger naturally aligns to the first joint. If I use the pad of the finger I tend to push my groups left. With the first joint my groups are more centered. Drawing the pistol and firing once at 10 yards in under 2 seconds also bears this out. I've always been taught to use between the first joint and tip regardless of hand size, and most likely with my long fingers, have been using the area near the first joint. If I commit to actually using the joint, I'm finding my hits are more consistent with dynamic shooting. 

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 01:38:55 PM »

It depends on a few things.  The trigger reach of the pistol, relative to the size of your hand, length of trigger travel, length of trigger finger, strength of trigger finger. 

Using the pad is only a starting point, each individual will typically have to add more or less based on results and what works best for them.

Using the pad of your finger is the proper way to press your trigger
Finding a gun that fits your hand correctly is the starting point.

RCG

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 04:38:16 PM »

Using the pad of your finger is the proper way to press your trigger
Finding a gun that fits your hand correctly is the starting point.

RCG
I was listening to a podcast with Eric Grauffel yesterday. He says put your finger where it's comfortable for you based on your anatomy. It was very interesting to hear his opinions. Many of them were contrary to commonly accepted practices.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 05:11:36 PM »
Well if it comes down to whose opinion you should probably take mine or Eric Graufel
I'd take his opinion before mine.

RCG