Author Topic: DA/SA trigger finger placement  (Read 6899 times)

Offline dbarn

DA/SA trigger finger placement
« on: August 29, 2019, 12:49:01 PM »
For those who compete and use a DA/SA trigger, are you using between the tip and first joint of finger, or do you use the first joint of your trigger finger?

Of those who use the first joint, can you tell me the advantages?

Offline recoilguy

Re: DA/SA trigger finger placement
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 05:20:00 PM »
I would do not and would not use the first joint.
Why?
Because there is no advantage I can see.

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline Blueknight

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 12:31:43 AM »
For those who compete and use a DA/SA trigger, are you using between the tip and first joint of finger, or do you use the first joint of your trigger finger?

It depends on a few things.  The trigger reach of the pistol, relative to the size of your hand, length of trigger travel, length of trigger finger, strength of trigger finger. 

So how can you know what is right FOR YOU?  Remember, the goal is being able to press the trigger to the rear without moving the pistol, ie., disturbing your sight alignment or sight picture. 

Using the pad is only a starting point, each individual will typically have to add more or less based on results and what works best for them.

Using the first pad is only a general starting point

Offline dbarn

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 07:48:34 AM »

So how can you know what is right FOR YOU?  Remember, the goal is being able to press the trigger to the rear without moving the pistol, ie., disturbing your sight alignment or sight picture. 

Exactly! My hands are medium and my fingers are long. With slim grips my trigger finger naturally aligns to the first joint. If I use the pad of the finger I tend to push my groups left. With the first joint my groups are more centered. Drawing the pistol and firing once at 10 yards in under 2 seconds also bears this out. I've always been taught to use between the first joint and tip regardless of hand size, and most likely with my long fingers, have been using the area near the first joint. If I commit to actually using the joint, I'm finding my hits are more consistent with dynamic shooting. 

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 01:38:55 PM »

It depends on a few things.  The trigger reach of the pistol, relative to the size of your hand, length of trigger travel, length of trigger finger, strength of trigger finger. 

Using the pad is only a starting point, each individual will typically have to add more or less based on results and what works best for them.

Using the pad of your finger is the proper way to press your trigger
Finding a gun that fits your hand correctly is the starting point.

RCG

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 04:38:16 PM »

RCG
I was listening to a podcast with Eric Grauffel yesterday. He says put your finger where it's comfortable for you based on your anatomy. It was very interesting to hear his opinions. Many of them were contrary to commonly accepted practices.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 05:11:36 PM »
Well if it comes down to whose opinion you should probably take mine or Eric Graufel
I'd take his opinion before mine.

RCG

Offline deadsh0t

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 08:55:29 AM »

RCG
I was listening to a podcast with Eric Grauffel yesterday. He says put your finger where it's comfortable for you based on your anatomy. It was very interesting to hear his opinions. Many of them were contrary to commonly accepted practices.

I'd take any opinion like that before any "DO THIS". I didn't use the pad of the finger when I used a glock 17 and I had much better shots using the first joint in any kind of shooting

Offline Ruber

DA/SA trigger finger placement
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 09:22:59 AM »
It has its limitations, in this case, I do find the pistol correction chart helps me find my center....

Take some time, do some drills isolating that one component, figure out how trigger placement with your grip and gun effects how you shoot.  You can then make an informed decision about your own placement.

Or you can find a shooter who matches your style on youtube (there are several) and watch what they do.  Just remember, there is no right answer for everyone, and you can always take bits and pieces from multiple sources.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 09:48:33 AM by Ruber »

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 04:25:03 PM »
I moved up from a small to a medium backstrap on my P-07 to help better align the pad of my trigger finger with the trigger.  It seemed to help my DA pull a fair amount.  Before I settled on the medium backstrap, I practiced with all three backstraps at home, dry firing with a MantisX, until I found the one that felt the most natural and produced the best results.

Offline dbarn

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 04:55:23 PM »
Or you can find a shooter who matches your style on youtube (there are several) and watch what they do.  Just remember, there is no right answer for everyone, and you can always take bits and pieces from multiple sources.

That's a really good video about using more of your trigger finger. Recently I completely disassembled my SP-01 tactical and found that I am literally wearing a groove on the left side of my trigger pushing it against the frame unknowingly, while continuing to use the pad of my finger. What a wake up call. No question for my hand size and grip the first joint allows the trigger to come strait back and my hits are more centered as a result. Find what works for you!

Offline timmy75

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 01:54:28 PM »
shadow 2 owner.
i have long, skiny fingers.

after testing my sights, my vision, barrel, bushing, etc... i have found something interesting.

in all other pistols and rifles i shoot normal, but my shadow2 POI is almost always moved to left.

stock shadow 2 trigger feels "round" to me. like there is not enough contact surface between finger and trigger. trigger feels like cylinder.

i have changed trigger to stock 75 trigger. 75 trigger feels like flat, wide edges, so more trigger surface in contact with my finger.

over a month with stock 75 trigger i wasn't shooting left.

today i have changed trigger back to stock shadow2 and POI went left again. so, im quite sure what is the problem.

Offline jurek

• NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2019, 02:22:25 PM »
I've been following this thread from very beginning waiting for someone who would come with simple "math" explanation.

I've spoken with my Instructor recently about proper trigger placement. He has explained to me :
The thing is that every single pistol is different and there is no magic trigger which would work for each hand.
However there is one trick that can make your shots accurate on every gun - just know the math.
As we know finger is built from 3 phalanges: proximal, middle, distal. Proximal one doesn't participate in trigger pull, however its direction and arrangement is a key to accurate shot.
Proximal phalange MUST BE PARALLEL to the gun during the shot.
If you put too much finger into the trigger your first joint is closer to the frame than rest of your proximal phalange and you shoot left.
If you put too less of finger into the trigger and press the trigger your proximal phalange moves right and you shoot right. 
This explanation couldn't be simpler. I've shot multiple pistols, paying attention to my proximal phalange... and the magic happened - perfect score !!!

However it's not so simple and easy to make it working under the stress.. but practice is something what helps here.
Good luck !
 :)

Offline combatpanda

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 01:16:49 AM »
Based on my experience it has always helped me with aligning the gun to ideal shooting form of direct rearward articulation and pull of the trigger. I focus on “tuning” the gun to my hand with this in mind and adjust the grip panels/ backstraps accordingly to see how it affects my shooting under stress/time. If you feel like you are getting too much finger in the trigger then that is usually a key indicator that the gun does not fit your hand and you may want to opt for palm swell grips / larger backstraps

A good test is to draw from the holster and then check where your finger falls. Check this in DA and SA because these will both be naturally different. You can follow it up with dry firing

In my experience a natural alignment of the finger will reduce the need to train pushing or pulling shots caused by a pistol that doesn’t fit my hands. I personally go the opposite way - big palms and stubby finger like a gorilla. I opted for Lok Thin Bogies and it helped a ton.

YMMV

Offline punisher12b

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 06:38:17 AM »
It has its limitations, in this case, I do find the pistol correction chart helps me find my center....

Take some time, do some drills isolating that one component, figure out how trigger placement with your grip and gun effects how you shoot.  You can then make an informed decision about your own placement.

thanks  i was looking for this again recently... got to come up with a way to practice at home might be time for a lazer light system