Author Topic: Opinions on the TLR-1 and TLR-7 for the P-07  (Read 3508 times)

Offline The West Virginian

Opinions on the TLR-1 and TLR-7 for the P-07
« on: August 30, 2019, 08:14:12 PM »
Good evening, all.

I just ordered a P-07 and will be ordering a Spectre Shoulder Holster from Gunfightersinc.  I want to add a light, and given the options Gunfightersinc offers, I like the TLR-1 and TLR-7.  Have any of you folks used either or both with an 07, and, if so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks much for your insight, and have a great weekend!

Aaron

Offline CCWLearner

Re: Opinions on the TLR-1 and TLR-7 for the P-07
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 01:13:01 AM »
I had a TLR-7 on my P-07 for a while, but I replaced it with an Olight PL-mini 2.  I'm not a fan of the switches on the current model of the TLR-7.  You can work them with your support hand thumb, but they are next to impossible to use with your trigger finger, so you can't work it one-handed.  They are also prone to be accidentally pushed by the inside of a holster, because of how they face outward.

Streamlight is supposed to be releasing a new version of the TLR-7 with better switches, but there is no ETA for them at this time.  Here's an article about it:

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/05/15/warrior-west-19-streamlight-to-introduce-new-switching-option-tlr-7-8-lights/

I'd actually prefer to use a light like the TLR-7 that runs on a CR123 instead of the rechargeable Olight, since CR123's last a very long time when not being actively used.  I have to top off the charge on my PL-mini 2 every couple of weeks.  However, I'm now invested in the PL-mini 2 with IWB and OWB holsters, so I'll probably stick with it.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 07:22:13 AM »
I have a TLR1 on my P09 home pistol.

I really don't care for them due to the way you have to change batteries.  Now, if they had a quick connect/disconnect mount like the Olight PL series, it would be a lot easier than finding a quarter or a screw driver to take that big screw loose to get the light off the rail.

With the PL lights I can just grab the cable and charge the light, even on the pistol.  I can charge it by my recliner, on the counter top, or in the car while on a trip (I do take the light off the rail for charging in the car.)
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 08:57:41 AM »
I have a TLR-1 on my duty pistol (Glock 17). I test it every shift and I'm still using the original batteries that I put in 2-3 years ago. I use the support hand thumb to activate it with no issues.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 02:01:59 PM »
I had a TLR-7 on my P-07 for a while, but I replaced it with an Olight PL-mini 2.  I'm not a fan of the switches on the current model of the TLR-7.  You can work them with your support hand thumb, but they are next to impossible to use with your trigger finger, so you can't work it one-handed.  They are also prone to be accidentally pushed by the inside of a holster, because of how they face outward.

Streamlight is supposed to be releasing a new version of the TLR-7 with better switches, but there is no ETA for them at this time.  Here's an article about it:

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/05/15/warrior-west-19-streamlight-to-introduce-new-switching-option-tlr-7-8-lights/

I'd actually prefer to use a light like the TLR-7 that runs on a CR123 instead of the rechargeable Olight, since CR123's last a very long time when not being actively used.  I have to top off the charge on my PL-mini 2 every couple of weeks.  However, I'm now invested in the PL-mini 2 with IWB and OWB holsters, so I'll probably stick with it.

Thank ya, CCW.

I´ve written off the 7 due entirely to the switches.  I really like the Olight line, but holsters I am interested in are not yet being produced to support the Olights.  Also, I´m a fan of Streamlight after using a few of their lights on a USP .45 and a USPc .45.  I? pretty sure the 1/1s/1 HL will be my purchase.

Thanks again!

Aaron

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 02:08:51 PM »
I have a TLR1 on my P09 home pistol.

I really don't care for them due to the way you have to change batteries.  Now, if they had a quick connect/disconnect mount like the Olight PL series, it would be a lot easier than finding a quarter or a screw driver to take that big screw loose to get the light off the rail.

With the PL lights I can just grab the cable and charge the light, even on the pistol.  I can charge it by my recliner, on the counter top, or in the car while on a trip (I do take the light off the rail for charging in the car.)

Thank ya, M1.

If manufacturers ever catch up and start crafting shoulder holsters that support the Olight line, I´ll gladly try the Olight family.  As of now, though, unfortunately, the holster options for sidearms with Olights is sorely lacking.

Thanks again!

Aaron

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 02:13:48 PM »
I have a TLR-1 on my duty pistol (Glock 17). I test it every shift and I'm still using the original batteries that I put in 2-3 years ago. I use the support hand thumb to activate it with no issues.

Thank ya, Grendel.

The ease of activating the light with the support hand is a primary reason I am so fond of the TLR-1 line.  With my shooting grip, I discovered on my USP and USPc that it is easy to drop my thumb and activate the light.  My only concern is how well the 1 fits on the P-07.  On the P-09 it looks to be a nearly ideal setup, but the shorter frame of the 07 has me pondering.

Thanks again!

Aaron

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 07:11:06 PM »
P07 with the TLR1 on it.  Gives you an idea of fit/look of the light and reach to the switches.

That light is on the P09 these days.

I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline no.vale.la.pena

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 11:22:43 PM »
I run an TLR-1 HL on my P01 Omega, the extra lumens & candela definitely make a positive difference in my handful of experiences with low light training. Unless it is concealment prohibitive for you to go with the TLR-1 I would recommend that.   

Also on the battery side, lesser known fact:
you can use rechargeable LFP 123A-type batteries from Surefire that will run a TLR1-HL (be careful to only use high quality LFP batteries - best to stick to the buying option on Surefire's site lest you over-current / fry your light).  For carry & training purposes I have a few sets and I just switch them out and top them off using a nitecore charger, that way I 100% know that the batteries are fully charged.  They are a more expensive upfront cost but definitely will provide cost savings over time. 

link:
https://www.surefire.com/2-pack-lfp123-rechargeable-batteries.html

Offline ericsl2

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 09:56:14 PM »
I've had a tlr1 on my xds nightstand gun for years. It's still on the factory battery.  I occasionally use it when the power goes out at the house.. Great little light but it's definitely getting dimmer... After years on one battery

Offline jtj5002

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 07:04:08 PM »
Always go for a full sized light when you can. Surefire x300 > TLR 1 HL/TLR 1 > everything else.

TLR 7's terrible switches is not the only issue. Even though its rated at 500 lumens, the hot spot candela is only 4300, compared to ~12000 on the standard 300 lumen TLR 1 and 15000+ on the 800 lumen TLR 1 HL.

Compact lights (Olight mini, TLR 3/TLR 7, APLc, ETC) will never have the bright hot spot you want even if they are rated for higher lumens. A bright hot spot is essential to positive target ID. Try some of the compact lights at a low light class and you will see their severe limitations.

Of course, if a light is too big for you to carry, a smaller light is better than no lights. Most people should be able to carry a TLR 1 AWIB with the right holsters, but I understand that some people may not be able to.

anything