Author Topic: Firearms and ammunition policy changes at Walmart, Kroger  (Read 814 times)

Offline CCWLearner

Firearms and ammunition policy changes at Walmart, Kroger
« on: September 04, 2019, 02:30:56 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/walmart-alaska-handgun-rifle-ammo-nationwide-end-sales

https://www.foxnews.com/us/kroger-walmart-openly-carry-firearms-storms

Walmart and Kroger are requesting that customers no longer open carry into their stores, while still allowing concealed carry.  Walmart is also ending sales of handgun ammunition.  According to the article, Walmart currently has around a 20% share of the US ammo market, which will be reduced to around 6-9%.

Thoughts?  I regularly CCW into both Walmart and Kroger several times a week.  I don't see myself boycotting either store over this... I'll just CCW there like usual, and buy my ammo elsewhere.  However, it still looks like a move in the wrong direction.

I'll be interested to see whether either store actually posts signage forbidding open carry, or simply "requests" people don't OC and maybe ask them to leave the premises when they do.

Costco, for example, has a company policy forbidding firearms from their warehouses for anyone other than law enforcement, but at least in my area they don't post any signage.  I regularly CCW there also.

https://www.concealedcarry.com/firearms-ownership/what-is-costcos-gun-policy/

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: Firearms and ammunition policy changes at Walmart, Kroger
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 02:42:31 PM »
Even though we can carry openly I ALWAYS conceal and I ALWAYS carry unless I have to enter a place where metal detectors are in use. I won't be caught without it. As for walmart I only buy automotive chemicals there since they are 40% cheaper than auto parts stores.That won't change and I never buy ammo there so there's that.

Offline the war wagon

• Mafioso of the Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 03:13:07 PM »
Makes my shopping choices easier & easier!  Hope they enjoy unemployment in short order!
- Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Online Rmach

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 04:13:39 PM »
It will be interesting how this affects handgun ammo.  I'm sure Walmart was a huge customer for the ammo companies. Will the ammo companies lower prices to move the ammo that Walmart will never buy again, or will prices jump because the largest retailer no longer sells it?
CZ Shadow 2 Orange, CZ Shadow Orange (Aussie model), S2 urban gray, S2 black and blue, 3 polished stainless 75b's and a black 75b all with MCARBO kits and front Dawson FO.

Offline CCWLearner

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 04:22:08 PM »
It will be interesting how this affects handgun ammo.  I'm sure Walmart was a huge customer for the ammo companies. Will the ammo companies lower prices to move the ammo that Walmart will never buy again, or will prices jump because the largest retailer no longer sells it?

This occurred to me also, since according to a memo cited in the article, Walmart was selling 20% of the ammo in the US consumer market, and over half of that is pistol ammo they won't be selling anymore.

I would expect maybe prices to rise at other brick-and-mortar retailers that sell ammo, like Academy or Cabelas.  Internet retailers were already beating Walmart and these other retailers on price, but their prices may also rise without as much price competition among the brick-and-mortar retailers.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 04:50:19 PM »
Walmarts (at least the ones in our area) are already making shopping a PITA.

Only one or two cash registers manned and longer lines at those.  Going through the self checkout is a frustration most of the time.  They don't work right, an attendant has to come over and reset things or get it to scan something it won't scan and you can't write a check at the self checkout registers.  It has to be a credit card or a debit card.  So if you want/need to use a check you have to get in the longer lines at the one or two manned registers they are operating.

Usually no one is working in the sporting goods section so if you want ammo, a knife, a scope or a gun you have to walk around trying to find someone to call for someone else to come get the item(s) you want and check you out at the register located there.

We seldom go to Walmart anymore.  Shopping at Food Lion or Kroger's is better service and sometimes cheaper prices as Walmart does not put their food/drink items on sale.

The few times I've gone to Walmart in the last few months it's been for cheap 9MM plinking ammo (100 rounds of Fedearl 115 grain FMJ for $17).  The other day we did go up there for a couple tires/inner tubes for an old bicycle we're rebuilding as a project for a soon to be (sort of) 8 year old step grandson.

It may cost a little more to get stuff someplace else but if the service or the atmosphere is toxic I feel better going somewhere else anyway.
I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline RoverSig

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 05:07:14 PM »
It's easy to see Wal-Mart as a company that has wreaked a lot of damage on America.  Wal-Mart killed the hardware store, the clothes store, the appliance store, the independent pharmacy, and many a privately owned grocery store in small towns across the country.  They also chose to sell products made in China, so that they drove many a small American company out of business -- worse, many of the American companies they deal with had to close their American factories and out-source to China for the products to stay competitive.  And if you are not selected by Wal-Mart to be a supplier, you really can't get your products on a shelf anywhere else anymore.

On the other hand, Wal-Mart brought cheap prices for clothes and household items to the America-that-is-not-urbanized-yet.  And they bring wages into small towns -- although they are not good wages by any means, they are something.

Ammo?  If Wal-Mart doesn't sell it, there are many good on-line ammo companies that do.  But we should be afraid that states will continue the trend started in California and make ammo sales on the internet impossible.    Reloading is a good option, as no one has gone after it yet -- I doubt that even one murderous thug in Chicago handloads his own ammo, nor have I ever heard of a mass murderer who handloaded his ammo either.  Maybe in the end gun folks will have to create consortiums or groups of fellow shooters who set up regional or local reloading and/or ordering set ups to get ammo.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 06:10:34 PM »
I love Academy Sports.  New Academy opening close to me soon.  Plenty of inexpensive ammo available elsewhere.  What will Walmart say if there is another shooting in a Walmart?  Wasn't our ammo?  How helpful is that?  Caving to gunhaters won't help.   Ask Dick's how that is working out for them.  Oh, what a minute, plenty of ammo and firearms available at Field and Stream next door.

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 06:40:31 PM »
Walmart's business decision has no bearing on the second amendment. It has always been dependent upon the business owner's permission as to whether it may be exercised on private property.

While deplorable, it is not anything that impinges upon an individual RKBA.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.