Author Topic: SP-01 tactical trigger bar lifter spring problem  (Read 383 times)

Offline Cujo99

SP-01 tactical trigger bar lifter spring problem
« on: September 09, 2019, 10:08:04 AM »
I have a somewhat new SP-01 tactical (decocker) that I installed a CGW 75200 defensive carry kit in (isn't causing my problem, just for general knowledge for understanding the problem)

The problem is: I am having a dickens of a time keeping the trigger bar lifter spring tails in the trigger bar grooves.  They keep wanting to migrate to the outside between the outer edge of the trigger bar and the frame.

I never looked to see if they were seated correctly before installing the 75200 kit so they might have been this way since I bought the gun. (I was very careful in working on the gun to not have bent or disturbed the lifter spring so I am sure it hasn't been molested in any way during the kit install)

I have tried lightly tweaking the spring tails to be centered on the grooves (when viewed with trigger bar removed the spring tails are not out tight against the frame)  and when I reinstall the trigger bar they snap into the groves naturally. The spring tails even stay in place dry firing.

But after a number of shots one of both spring tails are back to the outside against the frame.

At the moment I have tweaked the spring tails to be j-u-s-t inboard of the inside edge of the trigger bar's inboard edge (basically biased farther in than the center of the grooves). This has helped but one or both still occasionally de-rail to the outside and end up against the frame. 

In looking at my OEM trigger bar the inside wall of the U groove is higher than the outside wall (looks like maybe the groove wasn't machined on center). This allows the lifter spring more chance to migrate outward than inward.

Is this something that I can fix with a even more spring tail bias to the inside or it is something that will have to be addressed with a new or reworked trigger bar?

I'm a little hesitant to bend the springs tails inboard more as they look to be difficult to bend back out if I go too far.     

Have you seen trigger bars with the groove inner wall higher then the outer wall? (on my trigger bar both sides look to be the same (inner wall notably higher than the outer wall) so it doesn't look to be machined off-center, the groove is just not perfectly centered  on the trigger bar arms. 

Thanks for any help__   

Offline Tok36

Re: SP-01 tactical trigger bar lifter spring problem
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 11:45:41 AM »
I encountered something similar once. I used a thin cut off wheel on a dermel to reprofile/deepen the groove on each side of the trigger bar. After reprofiling i smoothed out the groove surface with sandpaper. An appropriate hand file would also work.

Bending the Trigger Bar Spring ends at a slight angle towards the center of the frame may also help. For clarity you would be twisting just the ends rather than tweaking the entire spring leg inward. This helped line them up and keep them off of the sides of the frame.

I am also interested to hear the input of other forum members on the subject.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Silverback

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 05:21:09 PM »
I have three CZs and all three had the same problem.  New Guns.  Just tweek it until the spring legs stay in place or deepen the grooves.  Maybe  both.  It didn't create a problem with any of my guns but it just wasn't right.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 08:46:02 PM »
I had that issue on a CZ75 Compact I converted to SAO (probably would have had the issue anyway as the trigger bar spring and trigger bar were the same before/after the mods.) 

I "solved it" by bending the trigger bar spring upwards on one side (the side that kept coming out of the groove) to put more pressure on it to stay in the groove.

The grooves were not uniform on both sides of the trigger bar on that pistol.

I considered modifying the trigger bar but was afraid I might mess it up.  I would have done that if bending the spring hadn't worked.

I noticed that one side of the trigger bar spring (the side that kept popping outside of the trigger bar to rub the frame) had two issues.  One was a shallower/off center groove in it and the trigger bar spring was "below" the other side when the spring was out of the pistol and lying on the table (I was told later that it is normal for one leg to be lower).

I also noticed that the trigger pull (SA) was 2&3/4 lbs. prior to bending the trigger bar spring.  After bending the trigger bar spring to make both legs "level" and make the one side put more pressure on the trigger bar the SA trigger pull went up to 3 lbs. even.  I thought about bending the trigger bar spring back to the original "not even" configuration and rechecking SA trigger pull but I just never got around to it.  It was still a very nice trigger with the CGW race hammer, adjustable sear and CZ SA hammer (and some polishing/stoning of internal parts).
I stopped carrying the SIG 556R.  SIG changed models and couple/three times and stopped supporting it with parts.  So, I stopped supporting SIG.  Back to the tried/true AR15 Carbine.

Offline Cujo99

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 12:28:43 PM »
Thanks for the info above__ Hopefully I won't have to re-cut the groves deeper (at least not yet anyhow).

I m-i-g-h-t have found something this morning.

I tried to verify that the magazine wasn't contacting the lifter spring (statically) with a strong light & moving the magazine around when snapped in place.  It had clearance but not much so I didn't suspect a magazine contact to the spring.

This morning I put some white-out on the inside of the lifter spring   at the front curves then shot 30 rounds. The R/H spring was out of the groove again BUT I did have contact to the magazine under actual shooting conditions by witness marks in the white-out.

I'm hoping to address the spring/mag contact without taking the thing back apart but I'm not banking on it.