Author Topic: Shoot the dot to speed up with irons  (Read 734 times)

Offline scroadkill

Shoot the dot to speed up with irons
« on: September 10, 2019, 02:42:25 PM »
So I just got back from the GA sectional and watching all the videos from the shooters I know.. I shoot limited major with my TSO and finished in the middle of the B pack. My stage plans and execution were good - with what I consider fairly aggressive movement - but watching the video of the open shooters who are running my stage plan are moving aggressively on partials when I feel compelled to slow down, pause and aim.

Ive heard from a  few people that if you shoot a dot it will make you faster shooting irons.

Im putting this on the CZ forum - cause I'm thinking about putting a dot on my tso - frame mounted - and shoot open minor or 40sw major for a bit.

thoughts and opinions

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
Re: Shoot the dot to speed up with irons
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 04:45:32 PM »
I think you should be able to practice partials and shooting partials on the move and get a lot better.  I'm not sure if practicing with a dot is going to help you with irons?  It may get you physically moving faster but when switching back to irons you would still have to have the visual patience to see what you need to see.

How much dry fire do you do and do you practice partials?  Do you dry fire partials on the move?  How about live fire?  Do you have Steve Anderson's books?

In my best Steve Anderson voice...Get to work!

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline 2morechains

Re: Shoot the dot to speed up with irons
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 03:35:53 PM »
I’ve gone back and forth between irons and dots.  Aging eyes are the main reason. I have a pair of RX glasses I use when shooting irons, and last summer I put together my first CO pistol based on a P10C and RMR for use as one of my carry guns.  I shot it in CO division for about 6 months and really enjoyed it.  Last winter I went back to iron sights shooting a Shadow 2 in Prod division.  What I noticed was I brought some of the things I learned from CO back to Prod.  Namely shooting on the move and target focus.  Both are easier when shooting a dot gun, but bc it was becoming second nature to me after shooting CO, I kept doing it and worked it into my dryfire/livefire practice more. 

Deciding to shoot on the move vs running fast and posting up for a multi-target array is going to depend on the stage.  What I try to do is engage wide open targets if it helps me eat up movement, but still come to a complete stop when I have two or more targets in an array, especially if they are partials.  I do try to have the gun up and ready to engage the first target while coming into position, and often times I’ll take the last target of the array while backing out of the position. 

Last bit of advice, shoot only as fast as you can see your sights.  But do everything else at warp speed. 

anything