Author Topic: 75 pre-b weak sa trigger pull  (Read 264 times)

Offline nevada

75 pre-b weak sa trigger pull
« on: September 10, 2019, 11:52:12 PM »
I have a 1985 pre-B that has an easy da trigger pull but the sa pull is so easy I consider it unsafe. Not quite hair trigger, but close. I think the springs are original, excepting the recoil spring. Does the trigger use separate springs for da/sa, a single spring or something mechanical? I love the gun, I've had it for 25 years. I want to get the trigger safe again. 

Offline Earl Keese

Re: 75 pre-b weak sa trigger pull
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 06:56:59 AM »
3 springs act on trigger pull, hammer spring, trigger return spring and sear spring. The hammer spring has the least effect on the SA pull because it is compressed when the hammer is already back(in SA). I'd consider replacing all of the springs at this point though while you're in there. A quick call to Cajun Gunworks and they'll tell you what you need based on your requirements.

Offline nevada

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 11:30:11 PM »
It has new hammer spring. I'll try CGW and see where to go.
Thanks for the reply.

Offline nevada

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 12:16:20 AM »
CGW was emailed and the reply came the next day. They said  someone had modified the gun and made it unsafe.
A 75100 kit and S-spacer was recommended. I will consider getting some of the parts. I want to keep my spur hammer and the firing pin works fine. The kit is also on the expensive side for me. But I have a direction to explore now. Thanks

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 02:21:59 AM »
Just curious as I have previously run across a 1987 pistol on a Czech range that had an exceptionally light SA release trigger. This sample did not have a half-cocked notch that the hammer could rest on, just a slight hint of drag at that point when slowly drawing the hammer back by hand. Does yours have the same setup without the half-cock? There are reports of a few post-1980 pre-Bs lacking the half-cock feature. Was unable to take this particular pistol down to determine if there had been mods done to it..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 06:47:53 AM »
There is a difference between "light" and "crisp".

I have two CZ75Bs I installed CZ spur hammers into.  Both feel "light" compared to the CZ75Bs with the ring hammers but both they are not really "light" triggers.  If I put the trigger pull ga. on them it reads 3 lbs. on each one (never measure double action trigger pull as I don't use it).

If the hammer has a shallow notch for the sear then the trigger won't have to travel very far at all for the sear to release the hammer.  A short trigger travel distance isn't the same thing as a light trigger. 

Just saying, without checking with a trigger pull ga. it's tough to tell if you have a "light" trigger or a "crisp" trigger.

First CZ75 I installed one of those CZ spur hammers on fooled me real quick.  I'm thinking awesome light trigger.  I put the ga. on it and it was 3 lbs.  I didn't believe it and put the ga. on it again.  Still really didn't believe it so I tested it a couple more times and had to accept that it was 3 lbs. with a crisp trigger pull, not a real light trigger pull.  For reference, my P07 DUTY has a 3 lb. SA trigger pull but it is not nearly as "crisp" as the two CZ75B's I mentioned.  That longer trigger pull makes you think it's heavier than it is, but the ga. shows it's just 3 lbs.

Hopefully, the parts you're ordering will make the trigger feel like you want it to feel.

I have a Pre B CZ85 and it doesn't have anything like a "light" or a "crisp" SA trigger pull.  It's okay, but it's not notable/memorable in that department.  Liking the looks/feel of the spur hammer on it is the reason I bought the spur hammers for the two CZ75B pistols.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline nevada

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 03:48:10 PM »
My CZ has a half cock position that I use without any problems.

I have a gunsmith about a mile away. I'll have him check trigger pull weight for me.

Offline nevada

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 04:38:16 PM »
Well I am surprised. The 'smith said 4.25 pounds SA, and the gun had a DA/SA pull better than his last CZ trigger job. Maybe I need to train my trigger finger better. I feel a lot better about the gun now. Thanks for the suggestion, M1A4ME. I have other handguns, this just threw me.

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 06:15:58 PM »
My CZ has a half cock position that I use without any problems.

I have a gunsmith about a mile away. I'll have him check trigger pull weight for me.
Thanks for confirming that yours has a half-cock position. I have shot many pre-Bs and the one on this particular day and range was truly different with just an ever slight effort and break in the trigger to set it off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 07:34:12 PM »
Four&one quarter sounds "heavy" but if it's crisp it's doesn't feel as heavy as it truly is.

I put a PRP kit in my XD 5" .45 acp.  I think it's around 4.5 lbs. but it doesn't feel that heavy.  It's nice and crisp.

OP, glad you've got it figured out.  Yes, going from one "feel" to another in triggers can be a shock sometimes.  I have an M&P with an Apex trigger kit in it that is just awesome - but I've found I don't need to take it and a nice CZ to the range the same day.  I did, a few times, while trying to compare group size, but the differences in the way the trigger feels and acts can throw you off.

It helps to do a few dry fires when switching guns at the range.  I didn't do that Thursday.  I took my new FNS .40 and my CZ75B .40.  I shot the FNS first (striker fired with a weird acting/feeling trigger even compared to other striker fired pistols).  Then I loaded up the CZ75B and promptly put that first shot about 3 or 4" low - at 13 yds.  That trigger is 3 lbs. SA but the feel is so different I let it go before I had the front sight in the center of the target as my finger was taking up the slack in a trigger than has little to no slack.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.