Author Topic: When you concentrate on one type of firearms for too long...  (Read 2807 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
When you concentrate on one type of firearms for too long...
« on: September 11, 2019, 01:33:03 AM »
Sorry, no photos or video this time, but I snuck away to the private range I just VERY recently was given permission to use on my own, to get a little 25 yard practice for my upcoming qualification for my Dept, next months. I have been spending a great deal of time with rifles, trying to find the worlds greatest do everything .223 load, and neglecting handgun work, to a distant third...and it showed. Going from the leather at 27 paces with the P10C against a MidwayUSA standard pistol target did NOT yield the results I used to get. I missed that 8x11 paper at least once or twice every six rounds, completely. For the sake of full disclosure, the 25 yard course of fire is from the holster, 2 rounds, 6 seconds. Then from low ready, 2 rounds, 5 seconds, repeat once, total 6 rounds fired. You can miss every single round at 25 yards and still pass...but I have a rep to protect...
Good thing I can make more practice ammo!

Edit to correct weird title oops.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 02:00:14 AM by armoredman »

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: When you concentrate on one type of firearms for too long...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 02:13:02 AM »
I can relate.

When I've been carrying one particular type handgun for a long time, some of my other handguns feel strange.

As for the worlds greatest do everything .223 load.  CCI/Speer 52 grain FB-HP over either H335 or W748.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline coolbox

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 03:36:57 AM »
I almost only shoot my SAO CTS, on sp01 frame. I find it difficult to shoot my tuned sa/da SP01 and SP01 shadow, and only end up half decent in comparison. The sao trigger and weight balance of CTS has got so much in me.
I tried slow precision shooting with my latest acquisition, Glock 34 Gen3. If I posted the comparative results, the Glock fan boys would almost initiate a kill order! My scoer could have been bettered by a novice!

Best of luck on your qualification.
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 06:33:07 AM »
It's amazing how quickly pistol skills diminish without training. I allowed myself to be sucked into PCC and RFRO for Steel Challenge all summer. Need to put one of the rifles down and go back to the pistol.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 07:10:24 AM »
I find my handgun skills will deteriorate fairly quickly without regular practice. 

But my rifle skills don’t really do the same.
Of course it may be because I don’t challenge my rifle skills hard enough to really see how much potential is there to begin with?

I cannot wait for temps to drop so I can get back out into the desert to train harder!

Europe

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 07:40:38 AM »
Thank you for sharing your experience. If you draw from a leather holster as you wrote, maybe you could consider switching to a carbon fiber. In case of an IWB holster (OWB as well) it makes a huge difference. A P10 C is IMHO best service pistol out there. It's capable of constantly shooting 90 points at 25 meters even though it was not designed as target pistol. If I were you I would consider shooting heavier loads meaning 124-147grs and replace the guide rod with a steel one along with the main spring (get it cajunized).

Offline George16

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 08:34:03 AM »
It’s so easy to lose proficiency on pretty much anything. This is the main reason I shoot my defensive guns (fully stock trigger etc) every week I go to the range while doing my live fire practice for competition. There’s a huge difference shooting a TSO with 1# 3.2 oz trigger against the 7# DA trigger pull on my Sig P226 MK25.

Good thing though is it won’t take you long to be proficient again. A little bit of practice and your back.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 04:59:28 AM »
Thank you for sharing your experience. If you draw from a leather holster as you wrote, maybe you could consider switching to a carbon fiber. In case of an IWB holster (OWB as well) it makes a huge difference. A P10 C is IMHO best service pistol out there. It's capable of constantly shooting 90 points at 25 meters even though it was not designed as target pistol. If I were you I would consider shooting heavier loads meaning 124-147grs and replace the guide rod with a steel one along with the main spring (get it cajunized).

While those are some good points, the P-10C is stunt doubling for our issued Glock 17. We now use the Safariland 6360 retention rigs, so i have to fake it coming from a regular rig. They don't quite make those for the P-10 series yet. ;)  I use the High Noon Stingray, as it is very comfortable and the draw ain't that bad. I have a hybrid IWB that fits, but I rarely use it. The two loads I was shooting yesterday are 124 grain Lee cast powder coated load and 125 Missouri Bullet Company hard lubed over Bullseye. Never thought of replacing the guide rod - the one I have seems to be working just fine, no apparent wear.
But thank you for observations!

Offline R.Wade

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 01:16:50 PM »
Practice, practice, practice...however i personally have never been good at transition between double to single action. Preference is cocked and locked and if i cantgo that route a walther ppq with apex trigger. But hey i'm old and only do cc.

Offline jurek

• NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 02:26:19 PM »
I agree this the argument that use of particular gun for a longer time makes you weak with other one.
I used to shoot PPQ for an over 6 months. Loved the gun, made my skills perfect, didn't have any problem hitting X from 30 ft. in any self defense situations (I'm not great shooter, so I don't care about longer distances).
Recently I passed my PPQ to my son and bought CZ P-01. Great pistol, however I've been struggling with accuracy. CZ is great, feels even better that PPQ, but it's so different with shooting target further than 20 ft.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 11:07:11 AM »
Lately, I've been starting my practice sessions with my little SIG 290rs Micro-9 DAO pistol. (Not unlike a J-frame DAO). Trying to punch out a 3" sticky-dot at 7-10 yards.
The sighting, grip and trigger discipline it takes to shoot this little bugger quickly and accurately; makes everything else I shoot that day easy-peasy!   O0 YMMV
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 11:53:58 AM »
It's amazing how quickly pistol skills diminish without training. I allowed myself to be sucked into PCC and RFRO for Steel Challenge all summer. Need to put one of the rifles down and go back to the pistol.

I did the same thing.  In 2017 when PCC was a new division I shot it for most of that year.  Pistol skills fell off a bit.  So in the last two years I’ve been shooting the PCC in 3-gun/2-gun matches and sticking with pistol for USPSA.  Periodically I’ll shoot my 365XL in IDPA, in fact I did so last Sat.  I just wish IDPA would allow AIWB. 

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 01:01:31 PM »
It's not just rifle/pistol or even striker vs hammer fired pistol.

I know, from experience, if I take my Tactical Sport .40 to the range and I don't do some dry firing first, I'm going to put a round or two down low in the target due to the 1&3/4 lb. super crisp trigger vs. my very nice crisp 3 lb. triggers on the CZ75 Compact, the CZ75B .40 or the P07 .40.

Same thing happened on the CZ75 Compact (with the P01 style slide) I converted to SAO.  Even though it was 3 lbs. it was different than the other pistols and I would drop a round or two low before my finger/mind started working right with that pistol.

You know what your trigger finger does with an M1A or M1 Garand?  Pulls the trigger and moves the safety lever from safe to fire.  Do you know how many times I dropped a magazine out of the AR15s before I just put the M1 Garand away and stopped taking it to the range?  That trigger finger would come off the trigger and find something to push (magazine release) and the mag. would drop.  Not the same action as pulling/pushing the safety on the M1/M1A, but my trigger finger would push the mag. release anyway.

If you really practice with your chosen handgun/rifle/shotgun you don't think about operating the safety, lining up the sights, squeezing the trigger, etc.  You just do it.  People who need to take the time to figure out how to operate their weapons end up with obituaries in the local paper.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 06:48:13 AM »
My obituary will be short - "He died. Film at 11."  ;D

I did get my skills back well enough to JUST miss Distinguished Expert by one...flapping...point...oh well.

Offline coolbox

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2019, 03:18:38 AM »
Congratulations! Well done.
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull