Author Topic: Tips for not destroying lifter spring?  (Read 1183 times)

Offline dbarn

Tips for not destroying lifter spring?
« on: September 11, 2019, 09:11:42 PM »
So frustrating when assembling sear cage. Finally get everything assembled with CGW slave pin. Re-install into frame. Drive permanent cage pin in and it makes it all the way through only to find you've destroyed the last tiny part and no tension on lifter. Then you have to start all over a freaking again. What a PIA.  :o 

Already destroyed a couple, and have just ordered two more from CGW. Any tips appreciated. Couple of more chances on the way. 

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: Tips for not destroying lifter spring?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 09:57:43 PM »
I chamfered the ends of my slave pin so the smoother ends now help move the lifter spring into position should it move slightly one way or the other rather than having the sharp flat end on the pin which will cut that little spring every time.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 10:10:55 PM »
My solution was to buy spares ahead of time. Haven't needed one yet. Not very scientific, but it's worked so far.  :P

Offline Tok36

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 10:46:42 PM »
For a CZ decocker pistol tuning to turn out well at least one lifter spring must be sacrificed to the CZ tuning Gods. It is the way of things.

I have sacrificed at least 6 in my time. I keep a bag full of them handy.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline dbarn

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 08:09:43 AM »
For a CZ decocker pistol tuning to turn out well at least one lifter spring must be sacrificed to the CZ tuning Gods. It is the way of things.

I have sacrificed at least 6 in my time. I keep a bag full of them handy.

LOL. I'm convinced you need the patience of Jobe and at least one glass of your favorite alcoholic beverage to complete your task. And if all goes well and you get to the point of having sear cage assembled with the slave pin in under 1 hour, this is a bad sign and the evil lifter spring will derail your final victory!! Normally it's the sear spring that gets me. Finally got that one mastered.

Offline Cujo99

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 08:39:35 AM »
So frustrating when assembling sear cage. Finally get everything assembled with CGW slave pin. Re-install into frame. Drive permanent cage pin in and it makes it all the way through only to find you've destroyed the last tiny part and no tension on lifter. Then you have to start all over a freaking again. What a PIA.  :o 

Already destroyed a couple, and have just ordered two more from CGW. Any tips appreciated. Couple of more chances on the way.

I'm far from an expert on that darn little lifter spring but so far I haven't bent or destroyed one. (I did loose one though.

You mention DRIVE permanent cage pin, personally I don't drive that pin in as driving it in kind of bumps the slave pin along out in front so it can sort of gap the permanent pin as it passes the thin lifter  spring. I simply push the permanent  pin smoothly through while holding a little tension on the slave pin as it exits the R/H side of frame.  This keeps the permanent pin & slave pin tight together so it flows through the lifter spring smoothly & continuously. 

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 09:10:25 AM »
My solution was to buy spares ahead of time. Haven't needed one yet. Not very scientific, but it's worked so far.  :P

Brilliant !!!

Works almost everytime.

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 11:52:42 AM »
You mention DRIVE permanent cage pin, personally I don't drive that pin in as driving it in kind of bumps the slave pin along out in front so it can sort of gap the permanent pin as it passes the thin lifter  spring. I simply push the permanent  pin smoothly through while holding a little tension on the slave pin as it exits the R/H side of frame.  This keeps the permanent pin & slave pin tight together so it flows through the lifter spring smoothly & continuously. 

+1 to this and +1 to having spares on hand.  I've mangled my fair share being too forceful inserting the slave pin or when installing the cage.

It will push right out with little pressure when all aligned proper.  If it provides any resistance the cage is not aligned.  Here are some video's of my Rami BD rework, in it is a video to assemble the sear cage and install it back in the frame.  A Dental pick is helpful, as is a plenty of patience.  I could at one point put together a decocker cage in less than a minute or three.  I'm out of practice now so surely it would take longer.

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=62123.msg410719#msg410719

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline dbarn

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 03:43:44 PM »

I'm far from an expert on that darn little lifter spring but so far I haven't bent or destroyed one. (I did loose one though.

That may very well be my problem! I'm thinking the faster it's drove in, the less likely it is get hung up on something or have a small part fly out. I'll try while keeping a little pressure on the slave pin. Thanks!

Offline dbarn

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 03:45:57 PM »

+1 to this and +1 to having spares on hand.  I've mangled my fair share being too forceful inserting the slave pin or when installing the cage.

It will push right out with little pressure when all aligned proper.  If it provides any resistance the cage is not aligned.  Here are some video's of my Rami BD rework, in it is a video to assemble the sear cage and install it back in the frame.  A Dental pick is helpful, as is a plenty of patience.  I could at one point put together a decocker cage in less than a minute or three.  I'm out of practice now so surely it would take longer.

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=62123.msg410719#msg410719

Cheers,
Toby

Excellent video and re-emphasizes the post above. I like the way you install the sear spring last. Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 03:55:03 PM by dbarn »

anything