Author Topic: Couldn't help myself, had to have one.  (Read 1671 times)

Offline DOC 1500

Couldn't help myself, had to have one.
« on: September 06, 2019, 10:41:44 PM »
I just bought my second S&W, which is also my first 45 ACP. S&W 4516-1.
What can you guys tell me about it?
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: Couldn't help myself, had to have one.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 09:07:45 AM »
The 4516-1 is an all stainless compact .45 and it's a pretty heavy gun for a compact. Like CZ's the factory trigger can range from really great to pretty darn bad. They are good guns but the magazine was an issue with them at times. The mag springs will weaken and you'll get live rounds popping out especially on the last round in the mag.
I'd replace the mag spring in any mag that comes with the gun and any mag that's not brand new just for reliabilities sake.

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 01:18:11 PM »
The 4516-1 is an all stainless compact .45 and it's a pretty heavy gun for a compact. Like CZ's the factory trigger can range from really great to pretty darn bad. They are good guns but the magazine was an issue with them at times. The mag springs will weaken and you'll get live rounds popping out especially on the last round in the mag.
I'd replace the mag spring in any mag that comes with the gun and any mag that's not brand new just for reliabilities sake.
Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

Offline the war wagon

• Mafioso of the Apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 06:28:57 PM »
3rd generation Smith autos ARE still the GOLD STANDARD of semi-autos NOT called "CZ-75" or "1911."  I carried a 1006 for 12 years as my carry gun, and the only thing I ever had to replace on it was... empty mags.   8)

UNLESS you have gigantic hands (sz. 11 wedding ring here) you'll want a STRAIGHT backstrap grip on it.  I NEVER liked Smith's curved backstraps on Gen.III pistols, regardless the caliber.  You can find 'em on fleabay all day long for $30 +/-  It's a big improvement, I always found.
- Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 11:18:57 PM »
3rd generation Smith autos ARE still the GOLD STANDARD of semi-autos NOT called "CZ-75" or "1911."  I carried a 1006 for 12 years as my carry gun, and the only thing I ever had to replace on it was... empty mags.   8)

UNLESS you have gigantic hands (sz. 11 wedding ring here) you'll want a STRAIGHT backstrap grip on it.  I NEVER liked Smith's curved backstraps on Gen.III pistols, regardless the caliber.  You can find 'em on fleabay all day long for $30 +/-  It's a big improvement, I always found.
Past couple of months I purchased a 4006 tsw chp
Switched out the factory grips for Hogue rubber grip and then stippled it to make it a little more aggressive absolutely love it. Can't wait to get my hands on the 4516- 1

Offline Flip18

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 11:57:36 AM »
I have a M39 (no dash) and a 539. Both are very nice. Always looking for a nice 645/745 in the used section @my lgs.
Careful with collecting Smith autos. They have so many variations/model numbers you can go nuts.

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 08:07:35 AM »
I have a M39 (no dash) and a 539. Both are very nice. Always looking for a nice 645/745 in the used section @my lgs.
Careful with collecting Smith autos. They have so many variations/model numbers you can go nuts.
3rd Gen semi's including 45 ACP are on GB
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:19:00 AM by DOC 1500 »

Offline Ruber

Couldn't help myself, had to have one.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 09:24:48 AM »
Neat little guns.  I have a love/hate relationship with mine.  It is the only gun I had, sold, and bought back a year later.

I never shot it as well as a P220’s but I wanted the slide mounted safety and it has been totally reliable. 

I wound up switching out sights and putting on Hogue rubber grips.  That helped make it a more enjoyable gun to shoot.  The factory grips really twist in my hand with the slightest bit of sweat, the hogues helped with that.  Grip tape on the factory grips would be a cheap fix too.

I’m definitely not going to get rid of it, but I still don’t shoot it as much as I’d like.  Hope you enjoy yours!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:31:40 AM by Ruber »

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 10:59:51 AM »
Here are some pics of the new to me 4516 - 1 cleaned it up and polish the slide.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/thic0k7i7xd039g/AACYGaBf8aDUUNOsxp0fZyoJa