Author Topic: It's all mine and I'm all in!  (Read 979 times)

Offline BKmetz

• I'm 100% Slavic so CZ works for me.
It's all mine and I'm all in!
« on: September 17, 2019, 11:29:44 PM »
I'm back in the .45ACP club after an 18 month hiatus. I had a 1911 Gov model 70 years ago and had to sell it when money got tight. Then I had a Ruger P345 for several years. It was a decent pistol but eventually it was just taking up space so it was sold to finance other projects. Now I have something I've wanted for several years, a 97BD!

In the case and still sticky with the factory cosmoline stuff.

A fine Czech pistol should be paired up with some fine Czech ammo for the break-in.

The Tritium night sights are glowing nicely after a brief charge from a LED flashlight.

The other CZs welcomed their new cousin into the collection.

Much 'pew pew' and fun in my near future!

Shoot more and worry less.

:D
You can always tell a Slovak, but you can't tell him much. Just ask my wife. ;)

Offline Steve Menegon

Re: It's all mine and I'm all in!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 06:21:53 PM »
Congratulations. I bought mine as a birthday present to myself just a few months ago. Broke it in with S&B to the tune of 500 rounds. I love the aluminum grips, but changed them out for LOK as sweaty hands gave me issues. Well, that and arthritis.

Offline Texf6

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 08:02:49 PM »
Congratulations!  "She's a beaut Clark"

Offline arellanon

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 09:19:08 PM »
Love the pistol!

Dd you install those sights, or did it come with them?

Mine came with the normal non tritium rear sights with a FO front.

:D
My CZs:
CZ-75B
Kadet II
CZ-75B .40
SP-01 FDE
CZ-75B CWE
CZ-97B

Offline Chef Jeff

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 02:11:29 PM »
The B comes with the FO front, BD comes with the Trits.
CZ 1911A1, CZ75 P-07 Duty, CZ 75B, CZ 75 Compact, CZ 97BD

Offline Popeye212

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 06:38:59 PM »
Congrats should be getting mine soon.

Offline BKmetz

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 03:29:20 AM »
I finally made it to an indoor range yesterday and was able to introduce myself to the 97BD. The pistol was not cleaned before I shot it so it had that slightly sticky factory goo on it. I did have a few stove-pipes but that was it for malfunctions. I put 100 rounds through the pistol. The 10 round magazines makes it easy to keep track of how many rounds you are going through. Ammo was Magtech and Winchester 230g FMJ, generic ball ammo. The target was a 'Shooter Tutor III' a combination of 1 large circle, 2 medium circles, surrounded by 5 small circles.

A short and quick review: I like the pistol and it was fun to shoot.

The long answer: All my shooting was at 5 yards. I stayed at 5 yards because this outing was for familiarization purposes and not for any technical shooting. Common issue with the 97BD is the size of the grip due to the double stack magazine makes it hard to shoot for some people. My palms are good sized but I have average length fingers so I was concerned.

First group was on the large circle. Group was low and left, some as much as 6". Classic jerking the trigger but I'm also learning how to hold the pistol. I adjust my grip and trigger finger and go again. Second group was still low and left but a bit tighter. Third group was mostly left. So I have two issues working against each other, grip is affecting my trigger placement, and vice versa. After a few more groups I am consistently in the center, groups are around 4" leaning left. I have my grip sort of figured out, more trigger finger work. By this time the large circle is a mess so I move on to the medium circles. On the medium circles my shots are either dead on or way off. So it's all mental. I slow down and concentrate. Groups get better.

Now I realize I've only been shooting the pistol in SA mode. I de-cock the trigger before every shot to get a feel of the DA mode. Ouch. Not good. Rounds are all over the place, but mostly low and left again. The long DA trigger pull is affecting my finger placement and I'm not smooth at all. I'm on a new learning curve. DA mode shooting is going to take a LOT of practice.

Conclusion: I like the pistol and I can handle the large grip. I like the double stack magazines. There is nothing going on that a lot of practice won't solve. I like the SA feel of the trigger. If I would change anything it would be to the DA part of the trigger. I'm withholding judgement until I get at least 500 rounds through it. Right now, my technique needs improvement, not the pistol. It's a keeper!

Shoot more and worry less.

:)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 03:35:31 AM by BKmetz »

Offline hammer_fired

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 12:06:30 PM »
Nice writeup on your experiences so far.

I have a 97B that is now my EDC pistol, so it too is a keeper!

Offline Chef Jeff

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 02:38:45 PM »
When I first got the CZ bug back in '15 (a P-07 Duty my Dad bought for me), I had been shooting almost exclusively 1911's. My groups were tight, but a couple of inches left. For me, it was a matter of getting the hang of a top pivoting trigger. A bit of practice later, I'm grouping all of my CZ's in the bullseye, with the occasional flyer. I can't say I enjoy shooting my 97BD better than 1911's (I've only shot it once, needs to go back to CZ for hammer follow issue), but I enjoy it as much. Keep shooting it!
CZ 1911A1, CZ75 P-07 Duty, CZ 75B, CZ 75 Compact, CZ 97BD

Offline BKmetz

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 09:44:12 AM »
While cleaning my pistol I noticed it has a polymer (fancy word for plastic?) recoil spring rod as a lot of CZ pistols do. I also have these stainless steel recoil spring rods I bought from Cajun Gun Works a while back and never used them. Will these work? Yes, direct drop in! I installed both but I think I will continue to use the long one.

Cajun recoil spring rods next to the polymer CZ recoil spring rod.

Recoil spring rod with the slide locked back.

Another view.

With the polymer recoil spring guide there is a black hole at the end of the recoil spring housing because it's black and short. The longer stainless steel rod does a great job of giving a more finished look to the pistol. The scratches on the recoil spring housing are from me using the barrel bushing wrench. Now I use a small wooden dowel to hold the recoil spring housing in while I remove the barrel bushing.

Overall this pistol is very well made. The .45ACP market is flooded with 1911s. I heartily suggest a 97B/BD if one is looking for something a little different.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 10:20:43 AM by BKmetz »

Offline cliff58

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 04:32:23 PM »
Mine shoots everything I've fed it-I think these are really great pistols-and very accurate.
https://imgur.com/zOgezYd

« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 01:51:11 PM by cliff58 »

Offline hammer_fired

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 08:17:39 PM »
Looks good.

So, with the SS guide rod, the takedown procedure is different, i.e., you need to remove the barrel bushing first?

Offline BKmetz

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 10:56:01 PM »
Looks good.

So, with the SS guide rod, the takedown procedure is different, i.e., you need to remove the barrel bushing first?

I was field stripping the pistol and I realized something. One can remove the return spring and return spring rod out of the slide with out removing the return spring housing. Once the spring and rod are out, the return spring housing can literally fall out of the slide.

One does have to remove the barrel bushing to remove the barrel from the slide. But, if one removes the return spring, rod, and return spring housing out of the slide, the barrel can move about and the barrel busing can be removed with just your fingers, no need for the little wrench. When you install the barrel bushing you screw it in as far as it will go, then back it off to the first notch to clear the return spring housing. So the barrel bushing is never really torqued tight against the slide, and it's only tight against the end of the barrel.

So to answer your question, no, the barrel bushing does not have to come off first. I admit I didn't RTFM thoroughly and sort of glanced at the photos, making sure I had the barrel bushing lined up correctly.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 08:29:56 AM by BKmetz, Reason: gtrammar, corrections, and clarifications »

Offline GeneticallySwiss

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 05:38:43 PM »
"The Tritium night sights are glowing nicely after a brief charge from a LED flashlight."

In the event you were unaware tritium is self illuminating.  Not to be pedantic, but tritium is also known as hydrogen-3 and is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen.  It has a half life of 12 years, meaning that in 12 years the light emitted from the sights will be roughly half as bright,  In 12 more years, half that and so on.  Tritium is found in nature but is exceedingly rare, almost all tritium is man made.  Yeah, I'm a geek warrior... 8)

GS
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

- Douglas Bader -

anything