Author Topic: Colt to suspend civilian AR production  (Read 1559 times)

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Colt to suspend civilian AR production
« on: September 19, 2019, 05:59:23 PM »
Yeah I know it's a company decision. Just hope others don't follow suit or the future of the AR market will be a gougers paradise.
    http://foxnews.com/us/colt-suspending-production-of-ar-15-for-civilians

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Colt to suspend civilian AR production
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 06:59:19 PM »
Anyone know how big their part of the market is?

They did this a few years ago (25??) when they announced they were going to quit making handguns (you remember, when they started to make that deal with CZ to make "Colt" pistol in the Czech Republic. 

I bought my stainless steel Colt Government Model one week and about 2 weeks later the gun stores magically doubled prices on Colt 1911s.

Only new Colt I ever bought.

And, as we all know, that didn't last long and they went right back to making/selling Colt handguns, or business as usual.

Didn't they lose the government contract for M16s to FN a few years ago?

I have a few ARs.  Not a Colt in the bunch.  The ones I'm buying up parts to build now don't have a single Colt part on them.  I'm not a "purist" when it comes to ARs.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 07:55:33 PM »
Colt is caving to the Democratic liberal ideas, I wouldn't Buy one of their guns if it was the last on the market. They can KMA.
With an announcement like that let's see how many guns they sell now.
Kind of like how many people quit watching football because of the guys taking a knee.
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline Phlyers13

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 08:17:50 PM »
Anyone know how big their part of the market is?

They did this a few years ago (25??) when they announced they were going to quit making handguns (you remember, when they started to make that deal with CZ to make "Colt" pistol in the Czech Republic. 

I bought my stainless steel Colt Government Model one week and about 2 weeks later the gun stores magically doubled prices on Colt 1911s.

Only new Colt I ever bought.

And, as we all know, that didn't last long and they went right back to making/selling Colt handguns, or business as usual.

Didn't they lose the government contract for M16s to FN a few years ago?

I have a few ARs.  Not a Colt in the bunch.  The ones I'm buying up parts to build now don't have a single Colt part on them.  I'm not a "purist" when it comes to ARs.

It’s very small. Colt hasn’t been a major player in the AR market in quite a few years. They have been stuck in that quagmire between low priced and high end ARs. The majority of the market share belongs to Smith and Wesson, Ruger and even a Springfield with their Saint offerings over the past few years.  Hopefully this decision helps Colt return to profitability.

Offline OldGringo

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 08:28:10 PM »
https://www.colt.com/news/2630

This seems like fake news. Colt is just focusing on fulfilling current foreign military orders at the moment (and maybe getting some panic buying to clear inventory). This is sadly typical of today's politicized/click-bait sensationalist/incompetent media fueled by Colt's own PR ineptitude.

Offline Phlyers13

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 08:52:13 PM »
It’s not fake news. It’s legit. They have definitely discontinued production of civilian SKUs for the immediate future. It will end eventually. It’s people assumptions that are running rampant.

Ron M.

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 09:01:43 PM »
Guess I'll suspend my decision to buy a new Colt Cobra.  The Kimber K6s will do just fine.

Offline OldGringo

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 09:08:01 PM »
It’s not fake news. It’s legit. They have definitely discontinued production of civilian SKUs for the immediate future. It will end eventually. It’s people assumptions that are running rampant.

Did you read the actual link from Colt?

Also the person from Colt who first posted this to The Truth About Guns was fired.

Don't get me wrong. This does not bode well for Colt going into the future:

1. They can't make money on civilian ARs in the current market given their high overhead (expensive workforce, older machinery,cost of doing business in CT).
2. They don't have the manufacturing ability/quality control to fulfill both military sales and civilian sales given their high overhead.
3. They can't put out a simple press release without it becoming an embarrassing clusterf**k that requires the intervention from the CEO.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 10:20:58 PM »
Colt has been too long on the govt teat.

CZ_FANATIC

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 10:24:20 PM »
Caving to Libtards means I'm done with Colt.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 10:47:09 PM »
I don't think they're caving to lib pressure. I think they're barely keeping their heads above water. Very few people were buying Colt AR's and they saw an opportunity to bow out of a market they couldn't compete in.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 11:36:22 PM »
With Earl on this.  In Colts case it's good business sense rather than caving on an item they haven't had decent sales in for years.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 11:38:03 PM »
Since few people (apart apparently from Earl, Larry, and me) are taking the trouble to read the actual story in their hurry to blame everyone and everything else..we'll put this to bed pre-emptively before toys start getting thrown around.

Locked.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline Walt Sherrill

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 08:48:16 PM »
Quote from: DOC 1500
Colt is caving to the Democratic liberal ideas, I wouldn't Buy one of their guns if it was the last on the market.
I think you confuse Colt's obviously bad business  practices with Democrat liberal ideas.   And I doubt the California market has ever been a big one for Colt over the last 20-30 years.

Colt has demonstrated a unique skill for shooting itself in the foot (nd other parts of its lower extremities) for a number of years, now,  and as someone else has noted, they've done nothing to really lower prices.

There are too many ARs out there that are as good or better than the Colt offerings, but less expensive.  Only their .22 versions of the AR seems to be competitive.

anything