Author Topic: I regress...  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Cohenj87

I regress...
« on: September 19, 2019, 09:40:56 PM »
My buffer broke and when I contacted CZ they had no part available and told me 4-6 weeks. I sent it to them and I got an email today saying that they had fixed it. I may still sell it because of how easily the buffer broke off. Does anyone know of a stronger option or if a metal/rubber one is in the works with anyone?

Offline AgentX3

Re: I regress...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 12:33:46 AM »
Have you been shooting any +P or +P+ ammo through it?

And how many rounds have you fired through it prior to the buffer breaking?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 02:08:43 AM by AgentX3 »

Offline Cohenj87

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 08:58:24 AM »
Have you been shooting any +P or +P+ ammo through it?

And how many rounds have you fired through it prior to the buffer breaking?
Definitely haven't shot + anything through it. I took it to the range for it's maiden voyage and I put 500 rounds through it. While removing the bolt the buffer literally just snapped in half. Looking at it the design of the buffer is really poor if you ask me. Hoping HBI comes out with an improved one so I can keep this gun and have confidence in it.

Offline Asylum9

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 10:37:58 PM »
Did you happen to grab any photos or know where it specifically broke? I'm assuming you didn't use anything to push or pry the bolt out?  It's just troubling that it broke that easy.

It would be nice to see some more aftermarket parts for the evo like a hydraulic buffer system or Springs.
ApIII%

Offline AgentX3

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 02:45:36 AM »
Manticore Arms and Gear Head Works are a couple of others that come to mind that may be interested in developing an improved buffer if HBI doesn't take on the task.

Offline Cohenj87

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 12:51:29 PM »
It wasn't the metal that broke, the plastic buffer itself snapped in half right where it meets with the metal rod. A roll pin goes through the metal rod and they holds the buffer in. I did not use any tools or anything like that and just simply was removing the bolt with my fingers. I don't know how to post pictures on this forum but I do have one crappy photo. I know I'm not the only person this has happened to as I found a video of another guy this happened to. Looking at the design any pressure other then exactly straight back on the buffer can snap it. Which as you know you can't slide the bolt straight out the back so every time you remove it, you're putting pressure on the rubber buffer that can snap it. Mine didn't break the same way as the guy in the video but you get the point.

Offline AgentX3

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 04:29:54 PM »
It wasn't the metal that broke, the plastic buffer itself snapped in half right where it meets with the metal rod. A roll pin goes through the metal rod and they holds the buffer in. I did not use any tools or anything like that and just simply was removing the bolt with my fingers. I don't know how to post pictures on this forum but I do have one crappy photo. I know I'm not the only person this has happened to as I found a video of another guy this happened to. Looking at the design any pressure other then exactly straight back on the buffer can snap it. Which as you know you can't slide the bolt straight out the back so every time you remove it, you're putting pressure on the rubber buffer that can snap it. Mine didn't break the same way as the guy in the video but you get the point.

Thanks for that video. Checking it out.

Offline Cohenj87

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 10:19:42 AM »
Must have had a weak spot in the metal.

There are some scorpions on here with more than 10,000 through them.  Mine doesn't have near that volume, but it's had almost 2k through it and I admit that I've been slacking shooting it lately.

I'm not knocking you, but this is literally the first time I have ever heard of a buffer breaking.
Also nothing metal broke, if you look at the buffer in the back is pretty much all rubber and some hardish plastic. This rubber and plastic form a male part that insert into a metal rod(female part) and right where the 2 pieces "meet" is where is broke. Very poor design.

Offline Cohenj87

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 08:22:26 PM »
I was under the impression you were referring to the buffer rod.  It makes more sense that the plastic buffer broke.

There are many subguns that have used similar buffers historically with good service rates.  Sometimes stuff just happens.  And I would expect it to happen more than plastic.

Maybe I'll pull the buffer out of mine next week and see if I can fab up something that isn't plastic for mine.

If you do, please share!

Offline Hemiscorpius lepturus

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 05:18:57 AM »
It is made out of hard rubber to absorb a shock load, if you make it out of anything else that works, it would just be better rubber... or switch the whole buffer assembly to something hydraulic like on the APC9

Offline Cohenj87

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 10:23:58 AM »
It is made out of hard rubber to absorb a shock load, if you make it out of anything else that works, it would just be better rubber... or switch the whole buffer assembly to something hydraulic like on the APC9

You're missing what has been said, the male part of the buffer can easily be made of something else that doesn't just snap with pressure. While the back can still be rubber to absorb the shock.

anything