Author Topic: S&W Model 29 vs. South Dakota LEO Handgun Qualification  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Hrfunk

S&W Model 29 vs. South Dakota LEO Handgun Qualification
« on: September 23, 2019, 06:26:13 AM »
Here's a video you can enjoy in two different ways. First, you can watch the video and see the Model 29 in action. Second, get to recite all those great Harry Callahan lines! I hope you all like it!

Howard

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: S&W Model 29 vs. South Dakota LEO Handgun Qualification
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 08:44:37 AM »
I don't believe there's much out there smoother than an old M29.

Mine's a 4" blued model.  Had it since the early 80's.  Carried it for awhile, too, as my duty gun.

Remington used to make a .44 magnum load called a mid range load.  Supposed to be a 240 grain semi-wadcutter (not as sharply contoured as your Keith style bullets) at around 1100 fps.  That's what I carried in the gun.   I had some more of that in speed loader on my belt and one or two speed loaders of Remington 240 grain hollow points as well.

Tough believing what those big bullets will penetrate till you take one out and shoot different stuff with it.

People would look at the back end of it (in the holster) and say, "Man, that's a big gun.  What caliber is it?"  I'd smile and tell them it was a S&W M27.  In the holster there wasn't any good way for them to tell lack of barrel taper wasn't visible.

After I'd been carrying mine for a year or so my sometimes partner went out and bought a 6" M29, nickel plated.  Big shiny gun.

One night we were "wrestling" with a big tough drunk.  I've got an arm, I'm trying not to get stepped on, my partner's got the guy in a head lock and next thing I know my partner reaches down, unstraps that M29 and draws it back to smack the guy in the head with it.

There were people all around us in the lobby of the building and I could tell by the look on some faces they thought they were about to witness a shooting.  I hollered, loudly, at my partner a couple times and he turned his head to look at me and I just shook my head and told him, "NO!!" and sort of nodded my head at all the people with horrified looks on their faces.  He put it away, I got the guys other arm and we got the cuffs on him and took him to jail.

On the way to the jail my partner looked over at me and said, "I wasn't going to shoot him.  I just wanted to get his attention."  I knew that and told him I believed him.  I just didn't want to see him maybe get in trouble for hurting the guy real bad.  My partner was one of those guys who just didn't seem to know his own strength.

And, he couldn't shoot that M29 worth beans.  I don't know if it was the recoil or just a lack of skill.

You did pretty good, double action and all.  It is a smooth working piece of machinery.  You can talk about K and L frames all you want (I have both) but they just don't compare to a M29.

Hey, did yours have that darn grooved trigger on it?  Mine did.  Darn thing would eat the skin off my trigger finger after a couple boxes of .44 magnum ammo.  I bought a smooth trigger and put in it pretty quick after getting it.  And I changed out the grips for a set of the soft rubber Pachmayrs.

If you were living/working out in SD there's places you might have to stretch that thing out to a 100 yds. or more.  They do great at those ranges, or even more.  You just gotta learn were to hold on the target (or how much of the front sight to hold above the top of the rear sight.)
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 09:04:56 AM »
Great story M1.
Love the video Howard.
Again I'm going to request a video for the S&W 3rd Generation  4516 or 4506 , 45 ACP
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 09:08:03 AM »
Thanks for the great story! I agree with you, the Model 29 (mine, at least) has a butter-smooth action. The only thing that makes it a little bit of a challenge is the wide target-trigger. It's great for single action shooting, but it's a little harder for me to control in double-action than the more narrow "combat trigger." That was what caused me to throw the one shot at 25 yards. It actually broke before I was ready. That mid-range .44 load sounds like it would be a dandy for just about anything you wanted to use it for too. You're right about the accuracy at range too. I zapped a groundhog a few years ago with the revolver in the video. When I stepped it off, the shot was right around 110 paces.

Howard

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 09:08:59 AM »
Great story M1.
Love the video Howard.
Again I'm going to request a video for the S&W 3rd Generation  4516 or 4506 , 45 ACP

It's coming, I promise!

Howard

Offline Claymore504

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 07:32:48 AM »
Great post! Its funny everytime I hear anything about South Dakota I think of a good buddy from back in the 82nd ABN Div. He was from South Dakota (He is LEO htere now) and when he would tell people that he was from S. Dakota, they would say, oh, like the movie Fargo!? He would always reply with no, that is North Dakota, it is like a whole different state.

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 08:09:41 AM »
Ha, ha! Yep. A whole different state! I've been to Western South Dakota, and I have to say I really liked it!

Howard

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 09:28:27 AM »
At least people know there is a South and North Dakota.

Several years back a female state trooper (don't remember if it was Arizona or New Mexico) stopped and arrested a US Army soldier on his way to Ft. Huachuca.  He'd bought a new car in WV and had a paper 30 day plate on it.

He as stopped, arrested for car theft and his new car towed.

Why?  Because the state trooper was absolutely sure there was no such state as West Virginia.  Virginia?  Sure, but not West Virginia.  Therefore the plates had to be fake and only a car thief would have a reason to put fake plates on a car.

Scary, sometimes.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Hrfunk

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 11:00:18 AM »
Wow.

Howard

Offline Vinny

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 07:11:57 AM »
Good Video HR and some good stories here too.  Made MY day!
Reminds me of the famous Crocodile Dundee knife line.....THIS is a GUN!!
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"