Author Topic: Info on the Rami for CCW work.  (Read 6845 times)

Offline John A.

Info on the Rami for CCW work.
« on: September 30, 2019, 11:20:36 AM »
post removed voluntarily by the author
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 06:45:30 PM by John A. »
I used to think politicians made stupid gun laws because they were stupid.  Now, I know they do it as ATTRITION.

Offline mecenas

Re: Info on the Rami for CCW work.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 11:38:36 AM »
RAMI is a great choice but you will hard pressed to find one very much below 600 dollars. Ruger Security 9 compact will fit your description the best and you can find the street price under $400.00.
It is a larger version of LCP II with addition of thumb safety. Worth taking a look.

Offline CZ_Top

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 06:02:23 PM »
Didn’t someone post a link in the Rami Club of a Rami with a safety as opposed to a decocker for like $520?

Offline Vinny

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 08:41:04 PM »
John A,
The failure to fire issues you've had with your KAHR can be VERY disconcerting. There can be several causes of a failure to fire (faulty gun, ammo, grip, etc.) but if you can't trust your CCW, one of the considerations you may want to have in choosing another firearm is RESTRIKE CAPABILITY.  In other words, IF it doesn't go bang the first time, can you pull the trigger again and have another whack at it.

The RAMI which is a true hammer-fired Traditional DA/SA will give you this capability. 

But I don't believe the Kahr, Ruger Security 9, (unproven Hellcat) or striker-fired pistols can do this.

The RAMI is a great choice for CCW; but if $ is an issue; have you considered a DA/SA CZ P-07 which you could get for less $$ like ~$400 ?? OK, it's a little bigger but not any thicker with 15+1 capacity and a superb CCW IMHO.

If you want to stick with a sub-compact size hammer-fired DA/SA like the RAMI <$400 the choices get very limited. The only thing close (that I know of) you can buy new for <$400 is the Bersa Ultra Compact Pro TPR9C from Bud's:  https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/46503/Bersa+TPR9CM+Thunder+Pro+Compact+Single/Double+9mm+Luger+3.25+13+1+Black+Polym  Similar size to RAMI but long enough grip (13+1) for a full 3 fingers.

But IF you can....Spend the money on the RAMI and you won't look back!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 07:08:05 AM by Vinny »
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Vinny

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 07:23:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply vinny.

I have tried federal, Winchester, and a couple import surplus.

It's not the ammo.  It gives me trouble regardless of the brand, so that's why I replaced the striker spring.  Which helped but didn't completely resolve it.

I had a Taurus with restrike capabilities once.  It's a good thing it had it too because it also had light strikes. I got rid of that gun too.

It's not my grip. 

But I have other striker fired handguns that I don't have those problems with.  I just haven't had very good luck with cheap compact guns.
I know you were thinking about the Hellcat, so why not the SIG P365? The extended 12 round gives you a full grip and it's among the smallest CCW out there.
Yeah, I know it had some early hiccups (which is why I would stay away from the Hellcat for a year or two). I got one of the early P365's, and yes it had to go back to SIG for a faulty trigger bar spring (one of the known early issues), but since they fixed it I've got over 3000 flawless rounds with all types of ammo thru mine now. I truly believe SIG has it sorted out and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one now. Street prices NIB <$500 and you can find them used.

I love my RAMI BD, but for deep conceal, it's the SIG P365.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 07:38:22 AM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Vinny

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 08:25:01 AM »
It's really difficult to find a good RAMI 9mm, especially the BD model for under $500.......the newer Bersa TPR9C is an all-metal hammer-fired DA/SA ALLOY-framed steel-slide and at $378 it's a lot of handgun for the $. Similar in size as RAMI but with 13+1. It seems to be under the radar, but 16 of 16 reviews at Bud's were 5-star. You might want to look at this review:
https://www.getzone.com/sootch00-pistol-review-bersa-tpr9c-9mm-compact/

The Bersa TPR9C is a bit thicker in the grip (like the Beretta PX-4 sc) but it seems to be a very well-built  handgun. Maybe worthy of a look if you're thin on cash.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 11:01:35 AM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline cousinmark

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 01:52:04 PM »
I have 3 sub-compacts, my Rami BD being the largest and also most accurate. Over 2k failure free rounds. I prefer the 10 round magazine for carry and with that it's almost too big for me to conceal wearing shorts and a T-shirt. Up next a Ruger LC9s, she's slim, .5" shorter and lighter, so easier to carry. The Ruger as well is reliable, I've only had a few hang ups with her in about 1k rounds and that was only with a particular batch of Fiocchi ammo? She's 100% with everything else, BUT truly uncomfortable to shoot and marginally accurate over 7 yards. My last little darling is a Kimber Micro Carry .380, another .5" or so smaller, lighter, thinner and vanishes easily under a T with the stock 6 round magazine. I've got over 5k on this one, I can't recall the last failure and any that have ever occurred were after several magazines when things got sooty. Never a failure with self defense ammo and she's SURPRISINGLY accurate.  Being a .380 she's a soft shooter :-) This pistol and the various cousins/clones (Sig,Colt and Springfield all have a version) are copies of the Star D. Most of the companies offer a version in 9mm. If you like a SA trigger these may be something to look at?

Offline Walt Sherrill

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 04:07:23 PM »
John A.

I wonder if the PM9 is a better choice than the CM9?  You're talking about spending more dollars already...   

I had a CW9, which was reliable, but it just didn't impress me.  I may have been spoiled by a P9 that I had years earlier.  I'd still have it but a friend made me an offer ($$$) I couldn't refuse after he shot it.  (I've also shot a friend's PM9 and it was, according to him, trouble free.)

You seem to love the CM9 except for the reliability issues, but it seems that you're the only one who has done any  diagnosing and related repairs.  Maybe your diagnosis caught PART of the problem but not all of it?

Have you talked with KAHR or gone to a KAHR forum to see if there's a known response to the problem you've described?   

Offline shortyboy21

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 05:52:43 PM »
FYI, iAmmo.com has the safety version of the RAMI for $499. They have 5 left. Their shipping rates are very reasonable too.

https://www.iammo.com/cz-2075-9mm-14-round-3-pistol-in-alloy-rami-91750.html

Offline Walt Sherrill

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 07:03:28 PM »
John A.

You can also have a local gunsmith look at it -- if there's a local one with a good reputation.

Sending it back to Kahr for a check or tune-up may be a less expensive option that trading it in or selling it, too.  (That will require that you find a local FFL who can send it via U.S. Mail  (so that the shipping costs are relatively low).  It will depend on what the FFL charges for the transfer paperwork.   If you bought it from a local dealer, the dealer may be willing to handle the shipping for you (but not necessarily the shipping costs.)

Those would be cheaper options than selling it or trading it in, and buying another.  Selling a troubled gun is difficult, if you're honest about the problems you're having.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 07:25:37 PM by Walt Sherrill »

Offline Vinny

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 07:35:52 AM »
I'm generally pretty good at fixing my own guns and have no problem with it.  I even thought of lathing and shaving a couple thousandths off of the shoulder of the firing pin so it would go a little deeper.

But at the end of the day, I don't want to go full on wild with it either and would still not give me the confidence in the gun to trust it with my life and my families life.

Since a replacement factory spring didn't fix it, it still has issues that I don't want to band-aid over.
If you trade-in the KAHR CM9 at a LGS toward something NIB that's has a bit more capacity and within your price range; maybe you can solve everything in one shot.  Yeah, you won't get a lot for the KAHR, but it will get you where you need to be.
"Carpe Diem"

Offline jack76590

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 07:33:38 AM »
I had problems feeding JHPs in my Rami. I think I solved this by installing VERY heavy mag springs. Specifically the Wolff +10% for the FULL size CZ magazines. I can still get in 10 rounds as the coils are pretty far apart. I would not trust any longer CZ mag with JHPs in the pistol, if that is a consideration.

My most carried pistol is a Glock 26 with a tau striker control device installed. It is a bit lighter than Rami and for me has rounder edges which do not punch my body. I still like Rami for when I want a small DA/SA pistol. Other negative with Rami is need for frequent recoil spring replacements. Plus Rami does not have a lot of support for aftermarket items.

Offline Axam86

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 07:03:09 PM »
My 2 sense....I recently put my rami on my carry permit. The decocker works for as carry left handed even though I can shoot right handed also.
The rami is a great piece, accurate, smooth operating, Minimal recoil for its size. The gun is slightly heavier than my other two CCW choices. The p365 and P238. Three different styles of guns but all great for ccw

Offline SteveR2013

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 09:28:49 PM »
My 2 sense....I recently put my rami on my carry permit. The decocker works for as carry left handed even though I can shoot right handed also.
The rami is a great piece, accurate, smooth operating, Minimal recoil for its size. The gun is slightly heavier than my other two CCW choices. The p365 and P238. Three different styles of guns but all great for ccw
My carry rotation, depending on weather and clothing, is RAMI BD, Sig P938, or Sig P238. Of then all I am more accurate with the RAMI.

Offline THarbison

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 11:38:16 AM »
My first thought is look into getting a heavier spring for the Kahr. That and make sure the firing pin channel is free of oil and debris. Springs are usually pretty cheap. My second thought,  and I hope I don't ruffle your feathers, is perhaps your budget for something you are going to trust your life to is a bit low.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

anything